Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Wisconsin Bear Hunting

3/24/08 @ 8:41 PM
ORIGINAL POST
BearHillSportsman
USER SINCE 12/27/07
i got a tag this year for bear hunting and i amm looking for some advice. i am wondering wear i should bait on my land. the last 2 years i have had a friend and a family member hunt the same stand and both have seen bear and got them on the trail camera at the same stand. my dad thinks that i should hunt on the other side of the land which is across a fairly messy swamp. do bears really travel that far and through that much just to get food. any advice is greatly appreciated. thanks. notice the screen name. that is literally the spot that the bear have been seen and that is not a joke. the spot is called bearhill and that is the name of the road we r closest to.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 2,808 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS

9/28/22 @ 7:37 PM
Bowhunting Guy
USER SINCE 5/22/18

At this point in the season, I think most would be happy with that bear. Nothing wrong with a 150 pounder. Still bigger than most of the “300 pounders” everyone sees. 

9/27/22 @ 8:44 PM
Steve White
USER SINCE 3/17/04

Griff , unless that stump is 5ft tall. That bear would be lucky to see 150.  What would a guy that sees thousands of pics a year know. To an expert like you!

Eyes, that is just a deer sorry. Pic is from a cub yesterday. Where momma found black/raspberry now. I have no clue.

9/27/22 @ 7:46 PM
griff n
griff n
USER SINCE 6/17/11

This one has come in 4 nights in a row, haven't heard about tonight, My buddy that has a tag has been pretty sick but plans to sit tomorrow. My brother and I are going to go up to hopefully help out tomorrow night. Zone B

9/23/22 @ 2:41 PM
eyesman
eyesman
USER SINCE 1/7/02

For those with experience with bears does this look like bear scat? Smaller marble type is 1-1 1/4” diameter and the larger one is baseball size or slightly bigger. 

9/18/22 @ 7:30 PM
griff n
griff n
USER SINCE 6/17/11

The guide my nephew hunted with hunter in B shot this one shorty after picture tonight. The guide has a tag for C and 3 active baits there with no more hunters so he should have a good hunt

9/14/22 @ 9:56 PM
griff n
griff n
USER SINCE 6/17/11

Buddy's daughter's group got this one this morning with dogs. 533 lbs,must of been just north of 64, said by Mountain.That is one BIG bugger

9/13/22 @ 5:26 PM
ihookem
ihookem
USER SINCE 11/29/01

Ok, I will bite on this one.  I baited the Saturday before Opener. I come back on Tuesday, the day before opening day and there was nothing left from a few days ago. We rebait , come back the opening afternoon and it was not touched. I never had that happen before. We come back Thurs. morning to put more bait down and to my amazement it still was not touched.We decided no to hunt Thurs cause it was 81 degrees, and the wind was blowing from the south east and a terrible wind for that spot. We did the right thing cause Friday afternoon it still was not touched. We hunted in the pouring rain for 2 hrs. 15 min. with very little drizzle. We were soaked through the rain jackets. Despite it being 58 degrees, were were darn cold. We saw a bear that paced back and forth about 70 yds. and it was really big. I know it was big , so big that when I saw it I said  "Oh My God", and meant it literally. We waited 45 minutes and left with little regret and did the right thing again. The bait got hit but doubt it was the same bear. We are sure the huge boar sent the littler bears running.  Saturday was the day we were waiting for, perfect 5 mph NW wind and 64 degrees and a slight drizzle for a minute here and there. We get there and the bait was hit . The cam said the bait got hit at 4:30 AM though, but by then, I will gladly take it . We sat 5 hrs. and didnt see anything. I was quite sure we would see a bear that night. Yes, I want a bear, but if I dont get one, I will still be 3 for 5 , but I could be 4 for 4 had I not passed a little one years back. No shame in that. Also, I want a bear , I don't need a bear . I have never grown a 3rd nut after shooting a bear, a deer or catching a big fish.  I might go up Friday night if weather is decent, if not I am taking 4 days on the last weekend and will enjoy a nice fall hunt. ANother thing, on the 1st day, we saw a really big deer. It was in the Flambeau River State Forest and seeing a deer is special. It was so big, I am not sure it was a deer , and may have been an small elk. It was that big.

9/13/22 @ 1:11 PM
antler junkie
USER SINCE 8/17/05

Let’s here some more stories guys. Even if you didn’t bag one let’s hear about any sightings or reports.

9/10/22 @ 9:43 AM
Butcherboy1
USER SINCE 9/10/22

Got our bear opening evening wife and I in Florence county 180 lb dressed took it to the meat processing and Armstrong Creek there were 14 more checked in ahead of me good luck everyone

9/10/22 @ 6:46 AM
griff n
griff n
USER SINCE 6/17/11

Wow 4th day of season and no other posts. The guys in our bear camp have had very good luck so other guys must be having some sucess also. Thrusday night I think every bait was hit and during shooting hours.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 2,808 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.