Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Wisconsin Bear Hunting

3/24/08 @ 8:41 PM
ORIGNAL POST
BearHillSportsman
User since 12/27/07
i got a tag this year for bear hunting and i amm looking for some advice. i am wondering wear i should bait on my land. the last 2 years i have had a friend and a family member hunt the same stand and both have seen bear and got them on the trail camera at the same stand. my dad thinks that i should hunt on the other side of the land which is across a fairly messy swamp. do bears really travel that far and through that much just to get food. any advice is greatly appreciated. thanks. notice the screen name. that is literally the spot that the bear have been seen and that is not a joke. the spot is called bearhill and that is the name of the road we r closest to.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 2,622 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
9/20/19 @ 10:40 PM
cwhunter
User since 9/8/15

Really I should say 2 for 8 as one guy only hunted one night and another never did hunt. 

9/20/19 @ 10:25 PM
cwhunter
User since 9/8/15

Steve, I will say a word. People that think bears relate the dogs and the bait together are not using their head. The bear is usually a fair distance from the bait when they get jumped. I've never had them jump one on the bait. Have you? I've had  a hunter sitting on the bait miss the bear with gun and the same bear is back on the bait a couple hours later. Earliest ever was 15 minutes. If they bust the hunter, then its a different story. Bears do not think like people.  Now for this year what I have noticed on baits around here. Food in the woods was less than most years. Berry crops were light and what was there were unusually small. Chokes were around but pretty well dried up by season opener. Bears were travelling further foraging. Still around 45% bait hits every day. However different baits each day and different bears. Seeing more than usual bears show up that I hadn't seen before all year. But still the home range bear too. Due to everything being behind this year very few acorns at the start. Now about 4 days ago they started falling here. Yesterday and today much heavier. Only one bear on a bait in the last 2 nights. Its going to get tougher now for sure. Zone C of course. So far 2 for 9, nothing big. Although they are around. 

9/20/19 @ 8:40 PM
Steve White
MEMBER since 3/17/04

Hunter on stand tonight sent me a pic of a bear at the bait. Thankfully he was not one of the 99% to blast the first thing coming in. The 75 pounder sitting inside the stump. Was just too cute to shoot!!  Funny thing about this. He was under a mile from where we harvested the bear yesterday with dogs!!  How is this possible??  Now more funny is the next 2 pics. The bear we harvested yesterday at the bait.  The next pic is a bear at that very same bait this morning!!!  Im not going to say a word.  Just let you think on it all!!  

9/20/19 @ 8:14 AM
Steve White
MEMBER since 3/17/04

Doortay, Picture got cropped for some reason.   That was Grilled/ smoked chicken breasts and legs. Smoked acorn squash, and sweet corn.  Both locally grown!  Fried zucchini from same farmer.  Potato salad, macaroni salad, and baked beans. Nobody leaves hungry!

9/19/19 @ 8:53 PM
DoorTayOutdoors
User since 3/7/07

Steve White. What's for dinner looks good but can't tell what it is

9/19/19 @ 7:24 PM
Steve White
MEMBER since 3/17/04

Got to share this picture for one of the members of this site! Just another average camp meal here. Howver, there is something special in this picture. That I have been passing around. Everyone loves it!!  

9/19/19 @ 4:08 PM
Steve White
MEMBER since 3/17/04

Finally broke the curse this morning. 260lb dressed boar with 2 white patches. Never seen this one on any camera before. Don't know where he came from. I was way off on the game cam pic. Thought it was 175 if lucky!  Almost didn't even put down. Hunter said he had to eat though. Guess he will be eating good for awhile! The 150 yd drag would have been awesome normally. Having stepped on one of the dogs deer horns last night. For the second time this week!  I have a large puncture wound in the bottom of my foot. Thanks to adrenaline, and tight boots it was manageable. 

No sitters out tonight, and nobody for the morning. We get a much needed bit of rest. Could hunt for the wife's bear. I know she would rather sleep in though!  Besides can hardy walk now, dam antlers!

9/19/19 @ 1:31 PM
Saronafish
Saronafish
User since 1/5/05

I was just guessing 120 since I didn't think he was all that big, but again being my first one I have nothing to compare him too. 

After he was gutted I could grab the hide at the back of the neck and down by the tail and with a lot of effort pick him up still. I wasn't able to do that with the guts in the bear it was just too heavy. Based on the comments on here maybe he was between 120-150 dressed then. 

It was for sure an interesting experience for me. I will do it again when I have enough points in 5 years. Probably try to hold out for a bigger one and use my bow next time. Its only the 3rd type of big game animal I have taken in my life. It didnt get my heart pumping as much as a big buck or Antelope, but it was still a fun experience.

9/18/19 @ 9:15 PM
ihookem
ihookem
User since 11/29/01

Jzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, glad you got a bear and Sorona, that head sais he is bigger than 120  120 gutted at least . 

9/18/19 @ 11:22 AM
Jzzzzz
User since 1/19/02

headed back up sunday am, and was in stand by 1pm was a nice warm night to sit but no bear seen, back up in stand Monday by 1pm hot!!!! and breezy had me hoping for some daytime movement at 3:30 I looked down and seen a black blob, bear came beneath stand and looped out to bait , let one fly and she dropped, not a giant by any means but a legal bear and I got some great meat on my last day to hunt, couldn't be happier!!

many thanks to my buddy Dan up at Twin Creek Outfitters!

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 2,622 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.