MENU Lake-Link.com MORE

Wisconsin Bear Hunting

3/24/08 @ 8:41 PM
ORIGINAL POST
BearHillSportsman
BearHillSportsman
USER since 12/27/07
i got a tag this year for bear hunting and i amm looking for some advice. i am wondering wear i should bait on my land. the last 2 years i have had a friend and a family member hunt the same stand and both have seen bear and got them on the trail camera at the same stand. my dad thinks that i should hunt on the other side of the land which is across a fairly messy swamp. do bears really travel that far and through that much just to get food. any advice is greatly appreciated. thanks. notice the screen name. that is literally the spot that the bear have been seen and that is not a joke. the spot is called bearhill and that is the name of the road we r closest to.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 2,633 Posts
7/13/19 @ 6:28 PM
Steve White
Steve White
USER since 3/17/04

Thats a breeding pair!!

Post Your Comment
7/13/19 @ 11:26 AM
ayeFeesh
ayeFeesh
USER since 5/17/11

Swapped chips out yesterday. No big ones. First pic shows two that come in regularly. Looks like a sow and maybe a 1.5 year old cub? What are your thoughts on that?

Second pic shows what I believe to be the largest one I have on cam.

The two in the third pic became "friends" shortly afterwards. 

Post Your Comment
7/12/19 @ 8:14 PM
griff n
griff n
USER since 6/17/11
Both baits getting hit within a hour of baiting. My man baits about 7;30am. Sept 4th can't come fast enough.

Post Your Comment
7/12/19 @ 1:43 PM
7thson
7thson
USER since 6/4/06

Sarona , check the Douglas County garage sale site on F B . Someone was selling used fryer cooking oil . Cheap , and , effective when mixed with cheap dog food . Just a thought .

There is a place in Danbury that sells bear bait . If you can get the buckets of pastry filling or, flavored syrup , those mix well with dog food too .

Post Your Comment
7/12/19 @ 1:00 PM
Saronafish
Saronafish
USER since 1/5/05

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm about as far north as you can get in Douglas County so no corn within 10's of miles of me. I will probably start the bait 3-4 weeks early just to be safe. It will be late July or early August before the place in Superior that sells bear bait even has any in stock and I don't really want to make an hour + drive to go get any before that.

I know one guy up here that started a bait the day before season opened last year and shot one on the first night. There is no shortage of bear up here and I am not picky. 

Post Your Comment
7/11/19 @ 4:28 PM
BrewCrew4Ever
BrewCrew4Ever
USER since 10/27/09

Up north, start as soon as possible because bear are a lot hungrier than farther south and there is less food.  They pattern way easier. In Zone C, three weeks is all you need from my experience but keep baits full when they get hit. There is a ton more food in Zone C, especially when the corn milts, usually around the opener. I think that a new food sources attract new bear. They hit for a few days and are gone. On my early baits, my June and July bear are hardly ever my August or September bear. Bear wander a lot more farther south and they will find your bait quick.

Post Your Comment
7/9/19 @ 9:08 AM
yamatroller
yamatroller
USER since 5/7/06
Was on a few ATV rides last week in Forest County and I could not believe how many trucks with hounds I seen, so that has got to make it tough for a bait hunter. National Forest areas where we used to bait bear are now overrun with dog hunters.Guess we will have to stay on private land or very close to town although sometimes we have bear dogs running through our land with no regard.

Post Your Comment
7/9/19 @ 1:04 AM
griff n
griff n
USER since 6/17/11
Can you get a bear by only baiting 2 weeks, yup for sure. Is that a better choice than baitng as early and often as you can? No way. Second choice will put more bear, and ones that are more at ease coming in. You can only do so much, but the more you do the better your odds. In my opinion your buddy's theory is flawed.

Post Your Comment
7/8/19 @ 3:02 PM
7thson
7thson
USER since 6/4/06

Sarona , My 2 cents . I have been baiting in Douglas county where I live , for about 15 yrs now . I have found that , for where I live, I like to start baiting as soon as the boars come out of the dens in Spring . One thing I've found is that they are hungry then , and will continue to come in as long as the food lasts . Also , I think it helps in reducing the number of sows with cubs that will visit a site . Check the regs tho' for any restrictions on when you can start baiting .

Will you be running just one baitsite ? This time of year I only bait once a week till we get close to the opener , then twice a week as long as the food gets hit . I usually run three sites at least 3-5 miles apart .

Post Your Comment
7/8/19 @ 1:15 PM
Saronafish
Saronafish
USER since 1/5/05

First timer advice needed. My buddy has bear hunted several times and his advice to me was wait till 2 weeks before season to start baiting. His theory was with deer and/or bear, when you start baiting a new spot it gets hot because well its new and the more you bait it the more you burn it out. Can anyone else confirm this with bear? Honestly I don't see a point starting to bait right now when I cant hunt till September 11th over it. But again I have never done it before. Has anyone on here had the same bear coming in for 2 months straight that you were able to harvest? I'm not picky at all and just want to fill my tag with the first legal bear I see. Not sure if that is a factor in it either.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 2,633 Posts