Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Wisconsin Bear Hunting

3/24/08 @ 8:41 PM
ORIGINAL POST
BearHillSportsman
USER SINCE 12/27/07
i got a tag this year for bear hunting and i amm looking for some advice. i am wondering wear i should bait on my land. the last 2 years i have had a friend and a family member hunt the same stand and both have seen bear and got them on the trail camera at the same stand. my dad thinks that i should hunt on the other side of the land which is across a fairly messy swamp. do bears really travel that far and through that much just to get food. any advice is greatly appreciated. thanks. notice the screen name. that is literally the spot that the bear have been seen and that is not a joke. the spot is called bearhill and that is the name of the road we r closest to.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 2,747 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS

10/7/21 @ 12:18 AM
mike7mm08
USER SINCE 9/19/02

Steve sent you a message.

9/30/21 @ 11:50 PM
Steve White
USER SINCE 3/17/04

Since im in here already.  This is how the week has gone.

Bait hits are up over last weekends downfall.  I wont repeat myself. Saying the increased human activity of the general opener. May have caused a lack of hits.   OPPS, just did.

No dogs to have any sort of influence on things.  Just the extra activity of the general opener.  Went from 6/18, back to 13/18 on monday.  Just pure coincidence im sure.  Been 11-13/18 all week. 

Or hunter that missed the big boy. Passed on a 150.  Is still hunting weekdays.  Having missed the big boy. Doesn't want to settle for much less.   A couple 200+ yet, and many sub 150 around. The big boys playing it incognito.  

Everyday is a mind game.  Where do I send 1 hunter with 18 baits? When everyone has that possibility. Try it with extreme ADHD. I guess having thought of bears in 100's of ways a day. Isn't a bad thing.  At least no support groups yet. To say otherwise!!!

Keep at it.  Anything can happen!

9/30/21 @ 11:29 PM
Steve White
USER SINCE 3/17/04

RainbowRunner, Thanks for that. It was our privilege to have you with us. Hopefully will see you again soon.  If not, in 10 more years. Nether of us will be to old!  Thanks again for the memories!! 

9/29/21 @ 3:57 PM
RainbowRunner
RainbowRunner
USER SINCE 5/31/02

That's me in the "harvest picture" Steve White posted up on 09.16.21.

I just wanted to publicly thank Steve for helping me fulfill a lifelong dream, of taking a Wisconsin black bear with my rifle. Steve took me around to at least a dozen bait sites, set up a nice comfortable ground blind for me to sit in at my bait of choice, and even dragged out my bear for me.

At 62 years of age, this is the first, and very possibly the last, black bear I will ever shoot. I never even thought much about bear hunting until my neighbor up here shot a fat specimen 12 years ago. Ever since then, this has been a "bucket list" item for me, and my bucket list dreams have been fulfilled. Thank you Steve.

If I had been more patient, a much larger bear came to the bait long after my bear was reduced to possession. But I'm just absolutely thrilled with what I got, and even if I don't shoot a deer this year it has been a memorable big game season for me.

These "bear burgers" are just absolutely delicious, too.

RR

9/28/21 @ 10:42 PM
Tr carper
Tr carper
USER SINCE 6/15/15

It was a rough year with the acorns. I figured it was a slam dunk with alot of big boars on camera. I was the second one up in our group. After the first day and my buddy getting a big one right away it was game on for me. Alot of our baits where getting hit during the daylight and last light. We turned loose on a couple dandy boars. But with the small ones and sow and cubs moving during the day. The dogs intersected them and treed them. I passed on 5 before taking one this past Thursday. Not one of the giants we where after but a nice boar dressing out at 208lbs. Of course Monday morning one of the big ones shows back up oh well. We still have one more tag to fill hopefully we get it done. But still a fun season no matter what besides I'm to waiting 12yrs before doing it again lol.

9/27/21 @ 11:26 PM
Steve White
USER SINCE 3/17/04

Lakeshiner.  Didn't even know there was gps options for the app. Wouldn't matter anyway. DNR knows what I'm doing all the time. Wolf lovers writing anonymous letters. Keep them lurking around.

Same number of baits hit today. Just some different ones. A big sigh of relief today. The big boy winged opening day. Finally showed back up after 12 days. Glad I was right this time.  Didn't think he would show during daylight today. Hunter sat there in hopes of proving me wrong.  Sometimes hate when I'm right. 

Dnr predicted it would be a rough year for sitters with the acorn crop.  Rarely, they get anything right.  Guess even a blind bear, can find the acorns. 

9/27/21 @ 10:18 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
USER SINCE 7/20/09

Nice job Griff, a bear is a bear.  Especially later in the season.

I don't use the GPS functions on the WI Hunt app because my tinfoil hat says I don't want the DNR to have my waypoints on their database  .  I do use it for regs and hours.

9/26/21 @ 4:40 PM
Steve White
USER SINCE 3/17/04

I have been playing with the Wisconsin Hunt app.  It seems almost useless, its so simple.  However it is pretty handy with the links. As for the activity forecast.  Believe I got it figured out to be the average number of harvests in the last decade.  Interesting to see the forecast has been pretty spot on. Compared to hits on the baits. Yesterday was forecasted to be the lowest of the year. Had only 6/18 baits hit.  Increase for today, and baits followed suit.   Something to tinker with.

Baits have remained slow. Except for the increase today. Mostly 100-150 pounders. Several during daylight as well.  A big boy finally showed at one site at 1 am.  A start anyway.  So many acorns out there its crazy.  

9/25/21 @ 11:11 PM
antler junkie
USER SINCE 8/17/05

Congratulations griff n ,sounds like it was an exciting hunt.

9/25/21 @ 10:07 PM
griff n
griff n
USER SINCE 6/17/11

Well after opening day our baits really went dead. The last 4 nights right at closing a small bear came in at the bait my brother got his. Then some bigger ones started coming in during the night. I went in about noon on that bait thinking I would at least see the smaller one at closing. About 4p.m saw a black spot behind the bait that i was sure wasn't there before. As I starred at it I thought I could see a brown face and sure enough it turned it head and then was game on. Walked around behind the bait for what seemed like a half hour. would see it coming in and then turn and disappear Each time thinking is he gone. Finally seen that he was committed. Made good shot right behind shoulder. The guide was at a wedding so it took about 1hr1/2 half for him to show up. After about 1/2 hour he texted I could go by bait and see how much blood was there. I am color blind but could see a bunch within 10 yds. Was more nerve racking waiting than anything else. Only went about 40 yds, I thougt I had heard a crash after I shot. Was 167 not dressed, not the biggest but I was very happy.Two for two in zone C and the guide was really happy also. Those cameras that send a live feed are something.The guide gets a live feed on his phone when one comes in. He knew I shot before I texted. When I got home could go to the library on camera and see it all over.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 2,747 POSTS
Advertise here
The Bio-Minnow Vertical Jig is the first vertical jigging bait with a metal tail for increased durability and fine-tuning. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: OKUMA FISHING TACKLE - FishLab Bio-Minnow Vertical Jig
Reinvented with SCIII carbon, IPC mandrel technology and custom Winn split-grip handles. Mojo Musky features 14 models including 3 telescopic rods for easier storage. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: ST. CROIX RODS - St. Croix Mojo Musky
With MEGA 360 Imaging, we didn’t reinvent the wheel. We redefined it, bringing the unmatched coverage of our 360 Imaging technology into the megahertz range for next-level detail. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - Humminbird MEGA 360 Imaging
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.