Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Wisconsin Bear Hunting

3/24/08 @ 8:41 PM
ORIGINAL POST
BearHillSportsman
USER SINCE 12/27/07
i got a tag this year for bear hunting and i amm looking for some advice. i am wondering wear i should bait on my land. the last 2 years i have had a friend and a family member hunt the same stand and both have seen bear and got them on the trail camera at the same stand. my dad thinks that i should hunt on the other side of the land which is across a fairly messy swamp. do bears really travel that far and through that much just to get food. any advice is greatly appreciated. thanks. notice the screen name. that is literally the spot that the bear have been seen and that is not a joke. the spot is called bearhill and that is the name of the road we r closest to.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 2,733 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS

9/14/21 @ 10:43 PM
Tr carper
Tr carper
USER SINCE 6/15/15

Thats a great looking bear Steve. We try out some of them spypoint cameras this year along with some Spartans. So we like them as long as you can get signal in the north woods lol. Good luck the rest of the season. I'm hoping to put a big one down on Friday as I passed on 2 last week. We did get a big one on opening day that dressed at 350. Exciting hunt he wouldn't tree just walked like he owned the woods.

9/13/21 @ 9:00 PM
Steve White
USER SINCE 3/17/04

Fin Bender,  Did you check out the Arlo go? I did.  $400 for camera. Bit pricey when your getting multiple stolen a year.  That aside.  They work off your cell plan. With Verizon that is $40 a month plus taxes. That is if you can get a signal in the woods. We wont even begin to discuss.  The data usage, and its being overloaded.  That depends on settings. 200 pics a day of red squirrels. Will be different than 200 live videos. For the first time hunter, or guy with just a few baits.  I could see it. For a guy like me?  Well, running 20-25 baits would be very expensive.  If I fired them up at the same time as baits.  Only $6000 a year without any overages.  That after over a $10k investment.  Definitely very cool.  Might get one, or 2 anyway.  Cant see doing it for all baits.  Cant see clients willing to pay extra for it either. Since so many still want free hunts.   Or, the gas money guides. How do you justify this then having to charge more to cover the cost. When few will pay it.  I cant make that an option for your bait either. Because they are all yours.  Im going to put you where the best bait is for your needs. Not this is your bait, good luck.

I did deploy a spypoint mini cam today. Even that adds costs.  I could have bought 3 tascos for the same price.  Might be gone tomorrow with thieves.  Requires a mini SD.  So another $40 for 2.  At a bear bait. Have to get unlimited plan.  Which is $15 a month.  Not as bad, but still an extra cost. I also got a spypoint cell u link.  Both on sale. Will deploy that tomorrow if I can find chips for that.  Again though, an extra cost.  That few are willing to pay for. They like to see it, but..   Regardless, the baits still need to be run. If a bear was there, or not. Squirrels alone will clean you out. 

I'll let you all know how these spypoints work out this season. Im sure will grab a few more. Just because I like throwing money away. 

Mini Cam is deployed on the bait for bear in pic.  Hope he comes for our hunter on Wednesday. 

9/13/21 @ 9:55 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
USER SINCE 7/20/09

Nice job to your brother Griff.  I know some guys who won't even go that early in the day.  We wait so long for tags, I would sit all day too.  Never know.

9/13/21 @ 9:21 AM
griff n
griff n
USER SINCE 6/17/11

Zone C no dogs allowed so opens first day for sitters there every year.

9/13/21 @ 6:37 AM
Houndrunner
USER SINCE 9/13/21

I thought the hounds were the first to go this year, bait sitters start sept 15 griff states bear came in at 1130, not sure what to make of it. 

9/12/21 @ 10:32 PM
Steve White
USER SINCE 3/17/04

Dukers,  kudous to you. Trust me. Most of us hound guys. Want nothing to do with you, or your property. We go great lengths to prevent such problems. The gps collars cost $300 each. The receiver is $600.   Then sat scrpit per device is another $30.  Many like me use Onyx on all devices.  Costs me another $150 a year. All to prevent problems.   Things still happen though, Its wonderful when we can communicate peacefully. Property owners I had problems with 15 yrs, or more ago. Are now great friends.  We work together.  We are all on the same team.  

9/12/21 @ 8:33 PM
Dukers
Dukers
USER SINCE 6/30/21

Had an unfortunate run in today on our land. We (my wife, my brother in law and myself) lease 200 in the Crandon area. We just got the lease in January. The owner let's us pretty much manage the land how we want. We put in several food plots and have seen many deer, bear, bobcats and Fischer along with many other critters. We're were up there today and had bear dogs run right where we were eating lunch about a half mile from the road. I could hear a truck so I got on the ATV and sure enough it was the owner of the dogs. I told him that the land is private and to please keep his dogs off the land. Well he didn't like that and of course I probably had an attitude. About that time one of his other dogs shows up at our picnic table where my brother in law is eating. He gives it some water and when I get back it's still hanging around so I dig out a leash and walk it out to the road and the owner is still there. I decided to play Mr nice and introduce myself and we actually had a nice talk. I just hope he keeps off my property.

9/12/21 @ 8:01 PM
big mac
MEMBER SINCE 2/19/02

Griff n

A very nice bear!!! Nice hide. And above the average weight of most bears taken in Wisconsin!

Big Mac 

9/11/21 @ 1:58 PM
griff n
griff n
USER SINCE 6/17/11

My brother got this one opening morning. Came in about 11 a. m. Guide thought he wouldn't see much until evening. Was 275 not Dressed.

9/11/21 @ 11:54 AM
Dave1234
USER SINCE 9/8/09

A friend reached out to me and said his son dead tragically and would be willing to transfer his son’s tag to my son to bring joy to another youth hunter.  It is for zone C.  Does Anyone know of a guide in C that still has openings?

please text me:

414-852-1618

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 2,733 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.