SEARCH
MORE
Big Game Hunting

Wisconsin Bear Hunting

3/24/08 @ 8:41 PM
INITIAL POST
BearHillSportsman
User since 12/27/07
i got a tag this year for bear hunting and i amm looking for some advice. i am wondering wear i should bait on my land. the last 2 years i have had a friend and a family member hunt the same stand and both have seen bear and got them on the trail camera at the same stand. my dad thinks that i should hunt on the other side of the land which is across a fairly messy swamp. do bears really travel that far and through that much just to get food. any advice is greatly appreciated. thanks. notice the screen name. that is literally the spot that the bear have been seen and that is not a joke. the spot is called bearhill and that is the name of the road we r closest to.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 2,919 posts
4/15/24 @ 3:26 PM
Zoomer
User since 11/19/03
Gobbler, thank you
4/12/24 @ 8:41 PM
gobbler
PRO MEMBER User since 6/30/01
I like when sitters go first only because hopefully acorns and berries are not in full force drop mode. One week can make a difference sometimes. 
4/9/24 @ 8:57 AM
Zoomer
User since 11/19/03
Any thoughts on whether it is better to hunt over bait in the year where bait hunters start first or when bait hunting follows the dog hunting start?  I live down state and would most likely use a guide/outfitting service.
2/29/24 @ 3:54 PM
Jesse Quale
Jesse Quale
User since 1/25/09
Still have 2 available spots for Wisconsin 2024 Bear season!
Well establish Baits 
Bait sitters only
Hunt the entire season

Wisconsin Bear Hunting photo by greenwaterwalleye
2/5/24 @ 9:04 AM
Jesse Quale
Jesse Quale
User since 1/25/09
Still have availability for Wisconsin 2024 Bear season. Zone C Baits only, hunt the entire season or till you harvest a Bear.
1/30/24 @ 10:43 PM
budman1987
User since 1/19/03
I drew also.. first time ever going can't wait
1/26/24 @ 3:44 PM
griff n
griff n
User since 6/17/11
Checked on line today, drew a tag this year
11/17/23 @ 9:19 AM
OneFineDay
User since 7/22/12
Wolves are endangered, there can’t b that many in the state.  Can’t imagine wolves could be a contributing factor.  
11/17/23 @ 3:34 AM
yamatroller
User since 5/7/06
You can partially blame the lower kill rate on the big  acorn crop this year. But a comment that has been mentioned many times on the  Facebook site and from bear hunters I know is that the bear population is down. Many guys have mentioned hardly any cubs which doesn't bode well for the future. One common complaint is the wolves hanging around bear baits. Bears open up the baits and the wolves run the bears off and eat the bait. Guys are saying wolves ate more bait than the bears at times and that they are pretty sure also that  the wolves are liking the taste of greasy bear meat now !!
11/16/23 @ 9:38 AM
OneFineDay
User since 7/22/12
DNR is reporting poor hunters success rate of black bear due to the unusually high acorn crop.  It will b interesting to see if they adjust the number of kill tags accordingly next year. I’m not holding my breath unfortunately.  
11/15/23 @ 10:28 PM
Usuallyskunked
User since 3/19/20
Three weeks after the season ended started getting pictures after they left the bait three weeks before the end
Too bad Wisconsin season wasn’t open later. 
Wisconsin Bear Hunting photo by Usuallyskunked
11/8/23 @ 10:52 AM
radical2
User since 1/2/12
Looking for guides in zone B for 2024. 
Thanks in advance.
10/6/23 @ 7:18 AM
clueless
User since 10/24/04
9/25 I killed a boar on my 13th sit. Dressed 210#. The third bear I had seen.
Talked w/ a friend who runs dogs. He said they had filled 5 of 6 tags w/ 285# the largest. He said one thing they have noticed the past couple years is the bear are much more aggressive, fighting the dogs, which he believes is a result of the bears encountering wolfs on a regular basis. Zone B.
Wisconsin Bear Hunting photo by clueless
10/1/23 @ 11:58 AM
kirby14
kirby14
User since 1/11/23
It was a great season for NBC Guide service.
Wisconsin Bear Hunting photo by kirby14
9/23/23 @ 10:11 PM
Steelhead88
User since 4/13/22
Yamatroller - pass through Forest County often , always looks like good buck country in places . I do know a crew near Hiles that does ok in gun season. In my rambling post I did say it doesn’t bother us , meaning even though there are wolves in the area , the deer camp enjoyable atmosphere is there year to year , some good & some terrible years for seeing deer. But the ones who put in their time & don’t sit at bait piles & actually hunt will have a good year . As far as cameras & bait piles , personally I don’t use them. Generally wolves travel , the bigger the woods the more they’ll travel & seen on many cameras , bigger bucks on camera usually are passing through . Bear season I had up 9 different bears at my bait , the 3 hours I hunted saw 3 , so if the wolves were in the area didn’t bother the bears to much for a month. Definitely not a fan of wolves in Wi &Mi , but we don’t let it interfere with our hunt . Any sightings are reported which in time there’ll be a wolf season I’m sure . Good luck to you this fall wherever you hunt   
Displaying 1 to 15 of 2,919 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing equipped by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE