LOGIN
Lake-Link

Muzzleloader Season Reports

12/1/14 @ 9:02 PM
ORIGNAL POST
usmcgunner58
usmcgunner58
User since 12/26/08
I know I'm not the only one who is out with the muzzleloader. Post reports and successes. Good luck everyone and be safe.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 45 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
12/12/15 @ 4:51 PM
Formerly the big guy
MEMBER since 10/3/11
Late report. Hunted Saturday night on public in Waushara county and Wednesday night on private in Adams county. Both times saw nothing. Ihookem I understand what your saying about open sights. I too am more comfortable with a scope. I just like the challenge of doing it the old way.

12/10/15 @ 1:30 AM
ihookem
ihookem
User since 11/29/01
Any legal buck up there that is not shot over bait is an accomplishment in itself. Moreso than some big bucks on private land. Figure the hours spent to get a buck up there is unreal . Years to get a buck up there that is not over bait. With bait, I can get one every year, no sweat at all.

12/9/15 @ 10:35 PM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09
I think it will get better too. Those 2 bad winters did a number on them, didn't help things any. I have still at least seen a deer every gun season so far so I can't say I ever got skunked for a season. This year I only saw 1 though, so it was for sure my worst. Had a number of fawns on camera though so that is looking good for the future. I don't go up there for the hunting anyway, if I absolutely needed a deer I'd hunt around my house. The challenge makes it that much more when you do get one, even if its a small buck. For me anyway. Smile

12/9/15 @ 8:12 PM
ihookem
ihookem
User since 11/29/01
Lakeshiner, it's had to believe it;s been 6 yrs already.I remember when you bought it. It has gotten worse every year sons 2009, that is for sure , except I think it was better this yr than last year by a little bit. Next year will be better if we have an easy winter. We need to clamp down on more doe shooting too. If a kid shot a doe in buck only, that is it until the heard recovers instead of every year for 5 yrs he can shoot a doe. I believe it is better by me, but not by much. Last yr I went for a long walk for muzzy. There were areas completely void of tracks after a week of snow.Then , there were tracks again. I have talked to a northern Minn. deer hunter once and the way he explained it , deer hunting in northern WIs. is the same now as when he told me about what it was like in Northern Minn. 10 yrs ago. You could take a day old snow and slowly drive logging roads for miles. Then a few tracks cross the road. That is where you hunt, in that area. The hunting is going to get better. We need an easy winter and several more buck only seasons. In 5 yrs we will be over run with deer . I have seen this several times before. 1988 - 90 we had deer all over. Drive down the logging roads and deer walking across roads all the time. 1992-1993 was real bad. 1995 was really good. That year we had a lot of deer, had no food for them and cold as heeelll. Deer were everywhere. That yr I put down corn , went up the tree and could see deer coming in before I was even set up. 1996 was real bad from a terrible winter with little food. Then it got better in 1997,98,99,00 . The wolves were established by then very well. It kept getting better till it was earn a buck in 2004. It kept getting better till about 2007. Then it was a slow downfall every year till 2014. I think that was the worst year I have ever seen. Deer in the big woods was a tough hunt. I can go and see deer every year , even in 2014, I saw a few but hunted little up there. We even see deer and we dont use any bait. I can do this cause I scout like crazy and know the land very well. Iv'e been hunting there since 1980 and ever yr since 1989. You will notice as time goes on that there are places you can see deer no matter how bad the numbers are. Stay with it. It will get better. You have not see good hunting in Price co. yet. Although , it is never really good but alway a good time.

12/9/15 @ 12:42 PM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09
Usually ML season is my best season but this year it was the worst. Hunting Price county, the snow told all I needed to know I guess. The snow was there for almost a week, I drove 18 miles and hardly saw any tracks. Just a couple spots here and there, half of which had wolf tracks along with them. Unreal how much area was void of any deer sign.

Hunted the couple pockets I found and put on a lot of miles following tracks, but didn't see a deer. Had some doe/fawn pics on my trail cam, but no bucks.

One of the remaining does by my cabin was shot by a youth hunter, the doe we could all talk to.

I used to not really complain as much about wolves but after seeing wolf tracks following the few deer I found, its pretty sad. I've been in that area 6 years now and it has gotten worse every year. Should have brought the ice fishing gear, a few lakes were fish-able. Sad

12/8/15 @ 9:19 PM
Lickey
Lickey
User since 8/29/12
Shot a doe last Friday night (12/4). First deer every with the muzzleloader. Saw 5 does and fawns that night. Iowa county.

12/8/15 @ 2:48 PM
SJB
SJB
User since 7/16/01
I think it depends on the location you are hunting. I was out with my 10 year old son this past weekend with the smokepole. Sat PM we saw 1. Sunday AM we saw 17. Not equal stands, but did show me the potential.

12/8/15 @ 1:55 PM
prusta81
User since 1/19/09
Congrats Jimmer and everyone else getting it done with the smoke pole!

QUESTION: I have a half day of vacation I'm going to take tomorrow. Which do you think is better this time of year, morning or afternoon?

12/7/15 @ 10:29 AM
the Jimmer
the Jimmer
User since 1/11/05
Finally scored a shot after several trips out with the smokepole! This fella never knew what hit him.

12/5/15 @ 4:34 PM
lazyfishr
lazyfishr
User since 5/29/06
Got out for a few hours again today. The deer still seem on edge from gun season. Did not see a single new track from when I was out a few days ago. Did jump a doe with 2 fawns but they were too far away and ran to the neighbors. Nice weather to take a walk.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 45 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.