MORE
Big Game Hunting

Looking for Colorado Elk Guide recommendations

9/13/21 @ 11:29 AM
INITIAL POST
zeplure
zeplure
PRO MEMBER User since 2/11/02

I will be going fall of 2022 and am looking for recommendations for an Elk guide/outfitter. I will be 61 in reasonable shape and would like to go to a nice place that won't kill me. It will be myself and 32 year old son. 

Thank you for your input.

Displaying 1 to 8 of 8 posts
10/20/21 @ 6:09 PM
muskrat30
muskrat30
User since 10/14/01

Being a WI deer Hunter, you know much of the drill for big game hunting. It can be a little daunting with an area, units, regs & gear.

I’d try to get on a private ranch then a DIY actual hunt. We kinda did similar a few years ago, but it was public land. We went with a few that hunted the area almost 20 years. They knew all the details. I just wanted to get pointed to an area that ‘may’ hold elk, away from others hunters. 

There were other hunters in the area, I did my best to get away from them. Maybe it was all luck, but us two newcomers both got a bull.

9/14/21 @ 11:55 AM
madforlabs
User since 12/20/12

With no points I'd be reluctant to book a guided hunt which almost certainly will be on public land and will involve significant cost while still putting you in competition with a boatload of do it yourself hunters. It is nearly impossible to get away from the "crowd" in general or over the counter units.

My suggestion would be to spend your dollars on a good private ranch access fee and go self guided.

9/14/21 @ 6:15 AM
zeplure
zeplure
PRO MEMBER User since 2/11/02

No points

9/13/21 @ 6:44 PM
madforlabs
User since 12/20/12

Do you have any preference points?

9/13/21 @ 1:45 PM
FullDraw05
User since 10/10/17
Cost can vary - like anything, you pretty much get what you pay for. The sweet spot i have found is anywhere from $7500 to $10k. If you want to get into the "once in a lifetime" free range type of hunts you're looking at upwards of $15K. I have never gone personally but I know a few that have gone to Sandy Hills Ranch in South Central CO.. they had nothing but good things to say about the place. 

9/13/21 @ 1:32 PM
fishnhunt14
User since 4/17/07

I don't know anywhere in Colorado but I am curious how much something like this costs if anyone knows.

Displaying 1 to 8 of 8 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
boat towed by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE