MENU
Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Ideas on how to deer hunt a large marsh??

8/26/14 @ 12:20 PM
ORIGNAL POST
wallyguy3284
User since 12/4/10
I am looking at trying out a new spot for gun hunting this year. It is a large marsh that is surrounded by public hardwoods on three sides that gets a lot of pressure during gun season. The marsh is primarily brush and grass with patches of thick conifer tress. Found good deer sign in the marsh and assume that the hunting pressure pushes the deer into the thick marsh. Anyone have a similar spot like this? Do you think it would be best to sit in the thick stuff with limited visibility or sit the edges where you can see more? A few trees I could find you could maybe get 10 feet in the air with a stand or better to try a ground blind? Other tips?

Please comment or PM me! Thanks

DISPLAYING 1 TO 5 OF 5 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
8/28/14 @ 8:49 PM
lookn' 4 PnY
lookn' 4 PnY
User since 7/15/05
If you can get your hands on a DVD that BloodBros put out several years ago called Hunting Marsh Bucks it would be worth your while. The basis of their approach was to concentrate on finding a bucks bedding area within the marsh. After that if you can imagine an old wagon wheel where the hub is the bedding area and the outer part of the wheel represents the food sources, the spokes are where you should be hunting. Finding the right beds is the tough part and requires extensive winter scouting when the marsh is frozen to allow easier access. Once you find those you are golden if you can get in tight and still be silent. I guess a lot of it depends what you are looking for as well.

8/28/14 @ 8:24 PM
gooseslayer
gooseslayer
User since 2/1/10
Depending on how the marsh is what I have found that works is on a day with a good wind hunt into the wind slowly. Bring a decent pair of Binos, kneel, and glass as low as possible trying to catch the deer moving in the thick stuff. Then try to slip into range of them.

8/28/14 @ 7:46 PM
lovestofishnhunt
MEMBER since 6/13/06
We have about 350 acres of land and a good portion of that is marsh. There is a ditch that runs the length of our property for about 450 yards. That ditch is a highway when its dry and not full of water. I agree if you can find a trail, or a lowland ditch, use that to your advantage. Our neighbors hunt exclusively in a marsh out of tripod stands and pull huge bucks out every year.

8/26/14 @ 1:18 PM
Jzzzzz
User since 1/19/02
find trails that are leading into and out of the marsh and set up there, they will get bumped out of the public and into the marsh to bed and hide. other option that ive always found works is to get nearest the thickest part and put up a tripod or ladder stand and set up right in the middle. gets fun when deer are coming from all directions opening morning.

goodhuntin!

DISPLAYING 1 TO 5 OF 5 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.