Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

First Deer Rifle

8/5/16 @ 8:16 AM
ORIGNAL POST
Igor
User since 6/20/01

Well, my son is 10 and we are to the point that we are going to buy his first deer rifle.  I'm looking for information on Savage Rifles.  Found a good deal on a Savage .243 bolt and wondering if anyone out there has FIRSTHAND experience with them.  Good or bad...

Personally, I haven't heard anything bad about them but I'm looking to see if there's anything to watch out for.  I don't care what happened to your Uncle Frank in '74 when he had one....  I'm looking for information on the Axis model if possible as far as reliability etc. 

I prefer Browning rifles but can't see spending that amount of $$ on a youth rifle.

Thanks for the help!

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 17 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
10/17/16 @ 9:21 PM
Tim Zwieg
User since 1/10/12

I have bought all my kids a 243 as a startery gun. It  is not a youthing model, but I have purchased several Remington model 700'suitable, some new some used. Wish I had one of my own. Kids all still shooting them.

9/23/16 @ 11:36 AM
da north
da north
User since 12/23/08

Old trusty sears .35rem lever action with a peep sight been knocking them over for 30 years in the northwoods

9/22/16 @ 6:01 PM
homewrecker
User since 8/28/03

I can't speak about Savage, but I have shot a 6mm for the past 28 years for whitetail. Just teach shot placement and there will be deer on the ground.

9/22/16 @ 11:09 AM
jimmy big time
User since 8/25/13

I bought one in 25-06 for myself and love it. Then bought a 243 for my 10 year old daughter. The trigger was to stiff for her to accurately shoot. U tubed how to do a trigger job on it. It was super easy and now she shoots it very well. Great gun for the price. 

9/22/16 @ 8:16 AM
standard_lengthy
standard_lengthy
User since 6/8/07

By grow out, I meant of the gun, not the caliber

9/21/16 @ 6:31 AM
madforlabs
User since 12/20/12

Good choice Igor!  Both of my kids started out with Ruger .243's and we've never regretted the chioce. Accurate, light, affordable ammo and more than adequate for many big game animals. Have killed many deer with them and I used one of the guns to take an antelope in WY. Those who think you "grow out" of a .243 are full of it...

9/18/16 @ 8:15 PM
dc cady
User since 3/10/07

Look into and consider the 7mm-08. Its ballistics are similar to the 270 but kicks about 20 percent less. I've used one in a rifle and pistol for years and brought my son up on that caliber.

9/15/16 @ 6:59 PM
toothycritter2
User since 12/28/15

I bought a axis 3 years ago with a synthetic stock .308 love it but last year the stock broke right behind the safety not the only one to have this problem. Bought the gun and the trigger pull was way to hard (could hold the wait of the gun on my finger on the trigger and it would not break yes the safety was off and the pipe was empty.) Took it to a local gunsmith and had it worked on and now it is down to 2lbs little light for hunting but I also use this gun in a couple of long shoots in the area. This is not my only savage have 4 others love them all. All are pretty much tack drivers at 200yards but have shot my 308 out to 880yards yes 1/2 mile. 600yds many times with about a 4 1/2" group 5 rounds Overall very good guns i would recommend them and a 243 is a great starter gun for deer and yoties  with min recoil. and ammo if easy to find Yet fairly cheap.

8/29/16 @ 6:55 AM
Saronafish
Saronafish
User since 1/5/05
I personally feel a .270 would be the best bet for any kid. I never was a big kid. I was a twig at age 12 and 13 and I was able to use my dad's .270. At age 14 my dad got me a Browning A-bolt in 30-06 and I will use that for the rest of my life.

My point being if you get a kid a .270 they will never "need" to get a bigger gun if they go do a western hunt or something like that. I personally dont own a .270 but I think it is one of the best all guns out there.

8/27/16 @ 2:33 PM
Tim_T
User since 6/17/11

That's great Igor! Great choice of caliber IMO. Best of luck to the both of you.

Tim

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 17 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.