SEARCH
MORE
Big Game Hunting

Ethics vs legal

10/17/22 @ 7:09 PM
INITIAL POST
IceFishBaby
User since 11/26/01

Got to thinking, what hunting activities are legal but not ethical or are ethical but not legal.  I'll go first, ethical-bringing a weapon with when tracking at night to finish off a wounded animal.  Legal-shooting a bow 60+yards at a deer.  What's your answer?

Displaying 21 to 30 of 46 posts
11/3/22 @ 1:16 PM
Flasch24
Flasch24
User since 1/8/18

My whole comment about deer drives are in regards to fair chase.  It's my OPINION that I don't think deer drives are fair chase therefore in my eyes, makes it unethical. But it is what it is and I don't see that ever changing here in Wisconsin.

11/2/22 @ 10:29 PM
Gimper
User since 11/27/01

I would think that we all agree that shot placement is key to a quick, clean kill on deer. During a deer drive the target is usually moving, sometimes at a pretty good clip. Who can honestly say to themselves ( you can lie to me all day ) that they can guarantee good shot placement on a running deer?

I don't think ethical kills were as far up the caveman's priority list as simply just getting a kill.

11/2/22 @ 5:43 PM
Snake1
Snake1
PRO MEMBER User since 1/22/21

They’ve been doing animal drives since the caveman days. Don’t know what my opinion is on that one though. Would have to think about that one. 

10/28/22 @ 9:43 AM
PimplySwede
User since 1/6/09

Legal, not ethical - taking a 1000 yard shot like those guys on YouTube.

10/26/22 @ 9:47 AM
PimplySwede
User since 1/6/09

"Letting 6 year olds hunt "

Yeah, I agree.  I didn't think it could happen, but I found this:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoIJ833u77I

The father set up a stabilized shooting rest to hold the rifle for the kid, had hearing protection.

I wouldn't have done it.  My kid shot his first when he was 9, after practicing 3 years with the BB gun then the .22 (same Remington platform as the .243 he used for the doe, so he gained experience with the pump, safety, trigger, etc.)  At 8 he wasn't ready yet. He did have a shooting rail to help support the weight of the rifle, but by age 9 he was able to shoulder it by himself.  At 10 he got his first buck.

I'm grateful Walker gave me the option to make that decision, and perhaps in the case of the 6-year-old, his father made a good decision - certainly addressed a lot of the particulars to improve the odds of success.

I know my 5-year-old is just itchin' to "PYUUMM a buck!!" but again, not going to happen for a few more years.  He's getting better with the Daisy 1-pump, hitting cans about 50% from 20 yards with open sights.  Hoping to get a ground blind and calm down his wiggles so I can take him out to sit for an evening.

10/25/22 @ 9:45 PM
IceFishBaby
User since 11/26/01

Leaving cams on public land some places is legal.  To be honest, feel many people using cell cams are illegal.  To be legal, can't have photos going to phone while hunting.

I feel unethical to hunt duck or pheasant without a dog to retrieve. 

10/25/22 @ 6:38 PM
jitterbug1962
User since 12/14/14

Shooting ducks or pheasants on the water or ground. A guy shot my dog while he was shooting at a pheasant on the ground that my dog was pointing. Just never thought it would be that sporting to shoot them on the ground. Last time I hunted a public hunting ground.

10/25/22 @ 2:38 PM
Hunter&Hound
User since 7/24/01

Not allowing a neighbor to retrieve an animal.

10/25/22 @ 1:39 PM
PimplySwede
User since 1/6/09

"I'll be the one to start an argument.  Deer drives."

Touchy subject, for sure.  I can see both sides of being ethical.  I know families that can pull off a very safe drive, and I've seen idiots who shouldn't be allowed to carry high-powered weapons.

10/25/22 @ 1:19 PM
PimplySwede
User since 1/6/09

"Hunting deer right on your property line with your neighbor knowing that you can not go on his property to retrieve the animal."

So, how far away from the property line is ethical?

There IS a chance the deer comes from his land onto yours...........there's also the chance that you shoot one on the opposite side of your property and it still makes it onto his property.

The most ethical thing to do in this situation is spend the time on the range and be a better shot, and don't take a risky shot.

Displaying 21 to 30 of 46 posts

HUMMINBIRD - Humminbird MEGA Live Imaging
Humminbird MEGA Live Imaging
It's showtime. We've expanded the performance of our MEGA Imaging®? technology with the introduction of MEGA Live Imaging™?. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - Humminbird MEGA Live Imaging Advertisement

MINN KOTA - UPGRADED Ulterra and Terrova
UPGRADED Ulterra and Terrova
The Ulterra® and Terrova® are newly upgraded to keep you at the top of your game and always in the thick of it. More maneuvers. More capabilities. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - UPGRADED Ulterra and Terrova Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
ice drilled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE