Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Deer scents

12/16/14 @ 9:27 AM
ORIGNAL POST
Lund forever
User since 1/21/08
Which attractants really work for deer hunting? After three deerless years, I need to try something. Lund

DISPLAYING 1 TO 6 OF 6 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
12/16/14 @ 11:59 PM
Horble
User since 4/11/08
I agree that no scent is good scent. Play the wind. If you want to establish some mineral licks then Google it and tons of great info will come up. Be proactive and don't expect the deer to come to you. Best investment is a good quality lightweight climbing stand and go where the deer are instead of trying to bring them to where you are.

12/16/14 @ 5:55 PM
1cast-away
User since 2/2/09
Killed one buck while using scent. Not really sure it had anything to do with it though. Haven't bought any of that or scent killing products in a couple years. I can make a bathtub full of scent "killing" spray for the cost of one bottle of store bought.

12/16/14 @ 4:59 PM
bassmaster+recordracks
bassmaster+recordracks
User since 2/25/12
Calling is better than scenting. The new MAD call buckgrunt and doe bleat and wheeze works good. Most times it is easier to get a deer to make a mistake quickly with a call. Natural reaction quickly. Scents give them too much time to think about it and with them sniffing more a chance to pick up your smell even quicker than they might otherwise!

12/16/14 @ 4:46 PM
Lund forever
User since 1/21/08
How about salt, mineral blocks and other stuff that you dump on the ground?

12/16/14 @ 10:28 AM
GreatOutdoors2001
User since 7/5/01
I will second what willfish has said. I used to try different scents up until about 15 years ago. They are not the end-all answer the marketing campaigns will lead you to believe. I had probably more negative reactions than positve, and most were neutral to the fact that I spent money on refrigerated doe pee or whatever it was. Stick to the basics and you will be much better off. I use scent reducing sprays and soaps, baking soda toothpaste, and use pine and cedar scent wafers as a cover. Seems to work for me. Take caution with your hunting boots and clothing. They should only see the woods. You don't want to get scent on them from foreign environments.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 6 OF 6 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.