LOGIN
Lake-Link

Deer Camp 2020

10/23/20 @ 12:26 PM
ORIGINAL POST
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

How is everyone handling deer camp this year? We formulated our plan last evening. We usually have 9-10 people in camp each year and we come from various places around the state. We have two guys over 80 so that is an issue that has weighed heavily on our decision making. We considered not having it this year but this camp has been together since before I started hunting 38 years ago. And I'm one of the young guys. That's a hard tradition to break. So our plan is to stay in our respective "bubbles". We have a cabin, two houses and a camper at our disposal all within 15 minutes of each other for sleeping. I get the camper to myself since I come from a high risk area. We will eat breakfast and supper together in a large heated garage on my cousin's property, within our bubbles but socially distanced. There will be no card table this year. Evenings will be spent either around a bonfire or in the heated garage, socially distanced. There will be no trips to the bar for the Friday Night Fish Fry, the buck boards or the Packer game. Maybe this is too much but I wasn't going to go unless these things were agreed upon. I don't want to learn of a death between Thanksgiving and Xmas. Or worse yet, be responsible for it. 

So what's your plan? Doing something similar? No change of plans? Think I'm nuts because COVID is going to disappear after the election?

DISPLAYING 21 TO 30 OF 44 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS

10/30/20 @ 9:02 AM
Fishlovme
Fishlovme
MEMBER since 6/22/01

This will be one of the first years I don't hunt with my dad at all.  At 73 and living with leukemia for the last 12 years it has taken a toll on his body and he's not strong enough to walk through the woods anymore.  I started a new tradition last year, hunting at my old boss's property and I've been invited back, so that's my plan for opening weekend.  Last year there were 14 guys at camp, 12 hunted.  This year 8 are expected.  About half of them have already had Covid.  I'm not too concerned being with the guys.

10/30/20 @ 5:44 AM
percheye1
User since 6/24/01

Prayers for you ere may you shoot the deer of your dreams and an even bigger one next year!

10/29/20 @ 7:27 PM
ere
User since 2/22/07

Thanks Brent, sure beats the alternative lol.

10/29/20 @ 6:11 PM
Plmlk
Brent Hess
MEMBER since 12/18/07

May God bless you ere, been praying hard for you.

So glad you’ll be able to make it to deer camp, even if it’ll be a bit different than in the past.

All the best brother. 

The Woodlands Resort
(262) 661-3968
10/29/20 @ 4:37 PM
ere
User since 2/22/07

I've hunted my cousins farm since the early 80's. Him and I have kids that are very close in age, Both started out just tagging along to participating. We have 2 others that join us, giving us a total of 6. My cousins wife has allowed us to invade her house for years now, Friday night, and Saturday night we have huge meals with other friends and neighbors joining in. Most of us do the weekend then drive back and forth the rest of the season depending on other commitments. This year bring changes, we will be hanging out in the pole shed vs the house this year. We will also drive back and forth. And I'm good with all of it, I dont blame my cousins family for not wanting a full house one bit.  He's coming off a successful bout with cancer so he's well informed on his weakened immune system. As for myself, I'm in the middle of treatment for stage 4 kidney cancer my immune system is toast, my goal since being diagnosed has been to at least be present  for the opener. The current covid crisis has had an impact on surgeries, whether you think its overblown or not hospital case numbers say differently, but thats a whole different discussion.  I'm hoping beyond all hope that surgery for me will be a timely option. Each deer camp has a different dynamic, which ever way you land, be considerate if you have higher risk partners. Sorry for the long post and good luck to everyone hunting this year.

10/28/20 @ 10:38 AM
Igor
User since 6/20/01

No changes at my camp, at least for now.  There's only 4 of us but I have told everyone it's entirely up to the individual if you want to come up.  Door is open....

10/28/20 @ 10:26 AM
Fibwab
User since 4/28/20

yep nothing different here I'm high risk but so is living don't wanna miss a day if it kills me it kills me

10/28/20 @ 8:20 AM
Mr.Bass1984
Mr.Bass1984
User since 6/12/10

Other than the usual Friday before opener gun raffles we will be doing our usual deer camp and i can't wait. I need the time away this year has been horrible for me and my family.  Ive been in quarantine for the past 6 days because my girlfriend tested positive, and i got tested this morning because im pretty sure i have it. Ive felt like garbage for the past two days.  I had the next two 4 day weekends in a row off to bowhunt the rut, but have to cancel that. I just can't risk getting my uncle or dad sick as they're both high risk. At least i won't have to worry about getting it or spreading it anymore when gun season starts. 

10/27/20 @ 11:06 AM
phelpsguy
User since 3/1/10

Exactly bowhunting guy. Couldn't agree more. Life is precious live it while you can especially with family. 

10/27/20 @ 8:58 AM
Bowhunting Guy
User since 5/22/18

Zero changes for us this year. Fortunately we live in a country where for the most part, you can make whatever choices make you feel safe. 

Personally I’m more concerned with treestand falls or car accidents on the way to deer camp than potentially catching a cold. Several hunting buddies have had the Wuhan Flu, and the severity has ranged from no symptoms to an insignificant cold. 

Life goes on. Keep your traditions alive. I’m not disparaging anyone’s decisions, but remember we’re only on this rock a short time.  

DISPLAYING 21 TO 30 OF 44 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.