LOGIN
Lake-Link

Deer Camp 2020

10/23/20 @ 12:26 PM
ORIGINAL POST
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

How is everyone handling deer camp this year? We formulated our plan last evening. We usually have 9-10 people in camp each year and we come from various places around the state. We have two guys over 80 so that is an issue that has weighed heavily on our decision making. We considered not having it this year but this camp has been together since before I started hunting 38 years ago. And I'm one of the young guys. That's a hard tradition to break. So our plan is to stay in our respective "bubbles". We have a cabin, two houses and a camper at our disposal all within 15 minutes of each other for sleeping. I get the camper to myself since I come from a high risk area. We will eat breakfast and supper together in a large heated garage on my cousin's property, within our bubbles but socially distanced. There will be no card table this year. Evenings will be spent either around a bonfire or in the heated garage, socially distanced. There will be no trips to the bar for the Friday Night Fish Fry, the buck boards or the Packer game. Maybe this is too much but I wasn't going to go unless these things were agreed upon. I don't want to learn of a death between Thanksgiving and Xmas. Or worse yet, be responsible for it. 

So what's your plan? Doing something similar? No change of plans? Think I'm nuts because COVID is going to disappear after the election?

DISPLAYING 11 TO 20 OF 44 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS

11/16/20 @ 11:03 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09

Its all going to be different for me this year.  Normally hunt the northwoods but lately its just been my dad and myself, no big group anymore.  This year I was invited by my inlaws to hunt with them so we are going there.  Big swampy marshland in farm country, will be quite different.  I may even die back there.  Basically I am walking 30 minutes through a marsh in chest waders through muck, tall grass, and cattails.  More than half of it is knee deep water, couple spots deeper but then comes back.  Older guys can't do it anymore, so I'm the new younger guy to do it.  The area looks great, its not like up north, I will see deer.  Plan to only shoot if its nicer though, not dragging a 4 pointer back through that crap.  Has to be somewhat worth it.  

The main thing that strikes me is how close people hunt here.  Neighbors hug the line, quite a few over the lines.  Kind of a joke compared to the spacing up north, that is one thing I'm not a fan of.  No one back where I'm going though, wonder why...

Knock on wood no Covid in the family yet, but a few had been quarantined as part of tracing but turned out to be nothing.

11/15/20 @ 3:55 PM
44/45
MEMBER since 3/9/11

It's going to be business as usual for 5 of us other than a antibacterial soap dispenser by each sink. 

11/15/20 @ 2:46 PM
haf2fsh
MEMBER since 6/23/01

Disaster just struck our deer camp this morning, are #1 gun tested positive, witch takes out four members of our hunting party.  All  may be done for the season.  Got to feel bad for them, since they all worked hard preparing, and looked forward to deer camp. I'm crossing my fingers, this would be my 58 straight opener, so hoping it doesn't get me. I still have two healthy, but my brothers wife may ground him. We just have to say a pray and hope for the best !!

11/13/20 @ 2:11 PM
Casedog
Casedog
User since 10/4/11

As of right now it’s business as usual for our camp! We are a pretty young crew(mostly in our 40’s) which is rare these days! We have three guys in there 60’s so we will stay somewhat distanced from the old timers!

I haven’t been this excited for a gun deer season in almost a decade because I found a pretty hot spot this year! It’s public but I’m in so far I don’t think anyone is going that deep in the bush?? I Will find out soon enough! If it goes as planned I think a lot of deer will be heading my way as the orange posse comes marching in!

Good luck to all and make lots of memories because that’s what people remember the most! Be safe and have fun!

11/13/20 @ 7:40 AM
Mountain
User since 1/7/02

First year we will all be driving up individually opening morning to the property that we hunt on. Owner is 73 and is concerned about the current situation. Will certainly miss splitting wood, enjoying a few beers outside and Friday/Saturday night dinner on the grill at the cabin.  

11/13/20 @ 6:37 AM
FullDraw05
User since 10/10/17

I miss the tradition of gun season more than anything. Being an avid bow hunter i never cared to taking to the woods with a rifle in my hands, but there's something special about opening day, that I'll do it until I no longer can. However, it's very sad to see the number of deer camps these days, i can count on one hand the number of buddies i have that still attend one. A dying tradition for sure, that excitement of going to the bar on Friday before the hunt and seeing all of the orange - guys laughing and planning with anticipation, is a distant memory these days... disappointing. 

11/12/20 @ 10:35 PM
yamatroller
User since 5/7/06

Our camp years ago was up to 12 guys at times but this year probably will be only 4 guys. Between COVID and a few guys not seeing much gun hunting the last few years, they are just saying the heck with it. Luckily my family has done quite well bowhunting around home this year so there is not a need for much more venison from the north woods. Bowhunting is just so much more fun, that it is hard to get too excited about Gun Season. Too many idiots in the woods during Gun Season is also why some of our guys quit gun hunting.

11/12/20 @ 8:48 PM
jitterbug1962
User since 12/14/14

As the pandemic gets worse in Wisconsin the camp I go to will be very quiet this year. Probably down 50% attendance. Mostly older hunters. I have decided to hunt close to home on private property but will head north for the muzzle loader season if I still have a tag (hopefully some ice fishing too). It is really sad to see. I won't be surprised to see some hang it up for good. As of now its looking like opening weekend may be on the warm side which for me a popup or tent would be good enough to get a couple days in. Good luck all, stay safe.

11/4/20 @ 6:53 PM
Mr.Seaguar
User since 2/5/05

I'm not hunting with the group I hunted with in the past. I was going to skip the season with Covid and all but I'm bored outta my head. Right now, I have OnX maps and 2 weeks to find a new place to hunt. I saw WI deer opener on my outlook calendar and thought, why not? Time for a new solo tradition. 

11/3/20 @ 7:58 AM
hockeyguy39
User since 8/24/07

Found out the other day that I can't stay at my brother in law's place like I have the last few years. Well, I could, but I'd be confined to their unfinished basement and wouldn't even be able to use the bathroom on the main level. If they had a toilet in the basement, I'd still stay out there, but they don't. Asked my camping buddies if anyone with a heated camper was interested in renting it out for the week, but no dice thus far. So, looks like I'm commuting. At least it's only 30 minutes, so not horrible.

DISPLAYING 11 TO 20 OF 44 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.