Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

CWD Increasing in WI

3/14/15 @ 7:52 AM
ORIGNAL POST
Straight Arrow
User since 12/3/03
Looks like Patrick Durkin is on top of the CWD issue in Wisconsin. From his article today in the Cap Times: See : http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/wildlifehabitat/prevalence.html

“… scroll to the bottom section titled “CWD prevalence trends,” study the map, and click on the yellow dots in southwestern Sauk County north of Spring Green, and southeastern Richland County south of Richland Center. Now click on the “prevalence graph” to see the charts that show how fast CWD is increasing in those areas, which had few sick deer only seven years ago. These graphs should concern us. Disease rates in these areas relatively new to CWD are climbing far faster than when it first surfaced in 2001 and 2002. The disease rate for adult bucks is already about 27 percent north of Spring Green, and about 23 percent south of Richland Center.”

Please note the 400+ deer ‘farms’ and breeding facilities in WI. This is still legal?

In my opinion, our current hunting practices, and QDM, both facilitate and exacerbate the transmission of CWD. In 10 years there will be no trophy whitetail bucks left to hunt in Wisconsin. Scary. So, what’s the plan?

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 42 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
4/1/15 @ 2:47 PM
GreatOutdoors2001
User since 7/5/01
"Lol. You guys should be politicians. Lol. Ban deer farms?? Yea ok that will help. Do you know what they go through for testing annually and the cost? Didnt think so. You guys need a new hobby!!"

Do you know the cost of 1 CWD positive deer getting out and starting an outbreak in a wild population? Yeah, I didn't think so. Do you know what the state has paid to deal with diseased deer farms? Yeah I didn't think so. Just look at Buckhorn flats in Portage county. The owner fought the State in court for years over his herd. By the time the state finally prevailed, nearly every deer in the breeder pen was infected. State had legal fees, reimbursement fees, had to purchase the property because of the level of contamination there, create a management plan, increase the fencing, etc. More than 10 years later we are still paying for it. Ic can happen anywhere. I remember watching the deer pen at the Quick Trip in Winchester about 10 years ago or so. I witnessed a wild doe come from the marsh grass on the east side of the pen, walk up to the fence, and had close contact with a doe inside the pen. At first when I saw it there I though it was an escapee, but then I realized it was just a wild deer that walked right up. Also about 10 years ago at our hunting land near Tigerton, my dad took some video footage of a string of does coming through during 2nd weekend of gun hunting. Playing it back later, we saw that one of the does had a yellow ear tag and was an escaped deer farm animal. Nearest farm is 4 miles away. Glad you think that the threat deer farms pose to the billion dollar industry that is deer hunting in Wisconsin is a joke.

4/1/15 @ 12:27 PM
JC-Wisconsin
User since 4/1/05
It could have been CWD, however there are a number of diseases a deer can get. CAS is often associated with deer not running or acting weird also.

4/1/15 @ 9:32 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09
My uncle shot a deer during the 2000 season that sure looked like it had CWD. But at that time it was not a concern so the DNR just told us the deer was sick and did not want to test it (funny how that changed). They did age it at 2.5 years old at the registration station. It weighed about 80 pounds dressed and the only reason it got shot was that my uncle shot one deer and as he walked up to it, this one did not run away. It just sat there, so he shot it. It looked like a walking skeleton and had missing hair. It was hanging at our house and we made them take it down to get it away from the normal looking deer lol. No one would touch that deer to eat it. Interesting fact is that there was a deer farm within a mile of that spot that had some CWD positive deer a few years later. So that just made us think about it even more.

We obviously can't prove it, and at the time no one cared. But boy it sure would be suspicious now. Never saw another one like that though either. That was not in any of current CWD areas.

4/1/15 @ 9:18 AM
no-luck
User since 12/14/12
GreatOutdoors2001 great points. My thoughts: CWD is already out of the bag and no way to put it back in. I personally have not seen or met another person who has seen a suspected CWD infected deer. States out west have been battling CWD for several decades without any tangible results other than the Elk and Deer herds continue to survive. From my understanding an infected deer need to be three plus years of age before it will display signs. Simple precautions will prevent the possibility of human infection and still no confirmed human cases in the US. Lastly, it seems to me that when it comes to deer living in the wild and CWD, all these ideas are just ideas and the answer that rises to the top is that we will just have to live with it.

4/1/15 @ 8:39 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09
GreatOutdoors - Never thought of it that way before. I agree that it is backwards.

4/1/15 @ 8:21 AM
JC-Wisconsin
User since 4/1/05
Finally some common sense!

http://www.wrn.com/2015/04/bill-would-sunset-cwd-deer-feeding-bans-in-wisconsin/

4/1/15 @ 5:56 AM
lazyfishr
lazyfishr
User since 5/29/06
You are right, if we keep bait piles and deer farms, we may all need a new hobby. The new great white hunter, if you can shoot your deer that are trained to your bait pile, just buy a deer to shoot from your local farm. "Hunters" these days make it too easy for the anti hunting crowd.

3/31/15 @ 4:20 PM
JC-Wisconsin
User since 4/1/05
"Same old tired rhetoric JC. Did you bother to read the link that I supplied? We're far beyond the point of "speculation" that Baiting can increase the spread/rate of CWD. If that link is not convincing enough, take the time to do a little research. "

I have read it, and my opinion it is a hodgepodge thrown together by a figurehead of the DNR that just organized information into an opinion based "study". However, what was also ignored was the core epidemiology of the disease itself. There is no scientific study which shows that baiting bans result in a decreased transmission rate of CWD. Why does CWD jump several hundred miles to "new locations"? Why are transmission rates higher in some areas and not others? Why in the world is CWD spreading faster in states that have NEVER ALLOWED BAITING?!?!? Why even be concerned about baiting bans in parts of WI that DON'T EVEN HAVE CWD????

I don't know what a ban on baiting and feeding is going to achieve by banning it in areas of WI that doesn't even have the disease to begin with. The CWD areas are already banned, and yet the disease continues to expand at an alarming rate. The only thing a bait ban achieves is restricting those who bait, hurting the feed mills and retail suppliers of feed, and yield yet another advantage to the hunters that are fortunate enough to have their own private land and food plots.

Again, this disease, first off, is not well understood. Nobody has figured out how the disease can jump hundreds of miles to new locations. They don't fully understand the vector in my opinion. Studies linking soil characteristics, and even the innate ability to transmit the disease through plant matter is enough to tell me that the baiting ban is a political move which will have absolutely no impact on disease progression. IT HASN'T WORKED IN THE PAST, AND IT ISN'T WORKING TO CONTROL THE SPREAD WHERE BAIT IS BANNED NOW! Why then ban it in areas where CWD doesn't exist?

Just like a previous poster stated, it is another illogical step in "protecting us" that the government is trying to push. Just like the disaster scenarios with VHS in fish where it was going to wipe our lakes clean of game fish. The DNR allowed no more minnow trapping, and the price of minnows exponentially increased since the minnows have to come from a certified fish farm. Yet, there is no way to control osprey, eagles, mink, otters, etc. from dragging fish from one lake to another. To pass laws as extensive as these, there better be a very tangible goal. There is no way to stop VHS from spreading, and like CWD was overblown, there has been little impact on fish populations even in lakes where it was identified.

A good question is, how much slower will CWD spread from Dane County if we ban baiting in Ashland County?

3/31/15 @ 8:09 AM
GreatOutdoors2001
User since 7/5/01
I kind of liken it to the situation with invasive water species. We know many of them come from the ballast water of ocean going vessels coming in to various ports. The dumping of ballast water has been more or less allowed without restriction, allowing free access for the introduction of invasive species. What we regulate is the spread. So, hundreds of thousands of boat owners are inconveniences, regulated, and penalized for spreading invasives, but we leave the source wide open. Just stupid management in my opinion. I see the same thing here. Deer farms are a known source point of disease. Yet they are allowed on the landscape, and I believe I saw once that there were around 1,000 in the state. Yet, instead we crack down on a hunting method and recreational feeding enjoyed by likely hundreds of thousands. You leave the few who can open pandora's box alone and penalize the masses for the possible spread. And then the government wonders why we have no faith in their efforts.

3/30/15 @ 4:49 PM
madforlabs
User since 12/20/12
FWIW, I would totally support the elimination of all commercial deer farming operations. Unfortunately they have well supported lobbying groups that make it unlikely politicians will support or enact the sort of legislation required to eliminate the commercial farms.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 42 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.