SEARCH
MORE
Big Game Hunting

colorado elk

1/2/17 @ 10:24 PM
INITIAL POST
wiredneck1
User since 3/4/11

Does anybody have any tips or recommendations on a diy archery elk hunt in colorado? Headed out there sept 9th-sept17th.

Displaying 11 to 20 of 43 posts
3/9/22 @ 12:47 PM
FishinXtreme
FishinXtreme
PRO MEMBER User since 1/12/14

Also, Colorado DOW kind of rubbed me wrong. My dad passed in 2020 he had over 20 points and they went with him upon his passing. I'm done paying over $100 for a preference point.

3/9/22 @ 12:38 PM
FishinXtreme
FishinXtreme

Yeah I know I wasted some points, but I want to hunt now. Unit 10 and 76 were the units I had an eye on and I don't want to wait until I'm 60 to get a tag. Unit 20 looks like it's got some good bulls and I love the Estes Park area.

3/9/22 @ 8:07 AM
Swamp buck
User since 1/23/09

Yes I had the hotter primers when testing

3/8/22 @ 4:56 PM
madforlabs
User since 12/20/12

I've killed 5 bulls with Blackhorn and never had a misfire when practicing or in the field. Just curious...did you follow BH recommendations concerning primers? Requires a hotter burning primer of which there are only a few that work well.

3/8/22 @ 10:19 AM
Swamp buck
User since 1/23/09

Perch, I too had misfires when I was load testing for my hunt with Blackhorn. I know people talk it up but I was not impressed at all.

3/8/22 @ 8:30 AM
percheye1
User since 6/24/01

Federal Premium BORE LOC with 777 is a good combination for me. Went away from Blackhorn when buddy had two misfires with it. Bullet trickled out barrel to fall on ground 40 yards out. Blackhorn has warning on website about small aperatures in some breach plugs and unloading gun everyday. Good luck on the draw and your hunt.

3/8/22 @ 7:37 AM
Swamp buck
User since 1/23/09

Yes I used the same bullet but I'm not sure of the weight. I thought it was heavier than 270. And 100 grains of Triple 7. I tried the Blackhorn but I did not like it at all. I shot my bull at about 60 yards and he only went about 20 yards. Bullet did not pass through. Good luck

3/7/22 @ 9:44 PM
Cobra57
Cobra57
PRO MEMBER User since 2/4/18

Fishx,muzzleloader season only required 11 preference points last year for unit 20. Good luck on your hunt.

3/7/22 @ 3:03 PM
FishinXtreme
FishinXtreme

Do you remember what brand and grain of bullet you used? I’m looking at the Federal B.O.R Lock 270grain. 

3/7/22 @ 1:27 PM
Swamp buck
User since 1/23/09

We hunted with Mzldr. I think we had 17-18 pts

Displaying 11 to 20 of 43 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing geared up by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE