MENU Lake-Link.com MORE

Buffalo county does only this yr?

4/19/19 @ 3:25 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Western Extreme
Western Extreme
USER since 12/17/17

Council voted 4 to 1 to make Buffalo county does only this yr. Sounds like private landowners arent doing their jobs controlling the herd. This will never happen but would laugh if it did. 

If someone would  please put the link for others to read. Found it on jsonline 

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 67 Posts
5/16/19 @ 8:15 AM
.Long Barrels
.Long Barrels
USER since 12/9/14

I use it around food plots so bucks have to walk into them to see what they are looking for.  All too many times you get cruising bucks that are out 100 yards,  they don't see any doe they keep going...now you force them to either check it with their nose or come in to take a look.

Edited on 5/16/19 9:56 AM
Post Your Comment
5/15/19 @ 10:25 AM
Fish Hound
Fish Hound
USER since 1/29/02

I've got a friend that owns/operates a outfitter in Kansas, they always plant Egyptian Wheat as cover for getting into and out of stand locations. It's easy to explain to hunters when going to a new set, follow the Wheat and when near the end start looking up. Easy to follow in the dark too. They plant about 15' wide (any wider and the deer start bedding in it) and then cut a 4' wide path down the middle for walking.

Prevents them from having to walk everybody in creating more commotion. When they drop you at the start of the Wheat trail you get sprayed down and boots whipped with EverCalm.

They also use it to funnel deer at large plots because they would rather walk around it then through it but can easily get through it when needed.

Post Your Comment
5/15/19 @ 6:15 AM
.Long Barrels
.Long Barrels
USER since 12/9/14

all due respect,  I've been planting it for years around the food plots and our main trail onto the land,  it's an annual.  I've had some areas that i didn't plant again and nothing came back.   

As far as respect,  I've seen no respect from them in over 20 years.  The continually shoot on to our land during gun,  they hang stands on the boarder,  double ladder sets looking over our land,  walk on our land looking for deer w o asking.  Respect is earned,  they have ZERO respect for any neighbors.

Edited on 5/15/19 6:18 AM
Post Your Comment
5/14/19 @ 10:15 PM
icebelt
icebelt
USER since 10/22/13

I’m not sure planting that is a good idea. It lasts for years. Me I would  classify that as non native, invasive species. Probably should be banned in Wisconsin. Respect the other property owners they may not want a problem you started.

Post Your Comment
5/14/19 @ 8:35 AM
.Long Barrels
.Long Barrels
USER since 12/9/14

more doe,  less intense rut,  less chansing etc.  i've seen that many many times over the years.  Thus the reason I like EAB,  it did two things,  reduced doe and gave bucks the chance to live.  Less doe,  means the more time a buck has to be on his feet looking.  

So this is where it gets interesting.  We started doing food plots several years ago.  prepped all summer,cut,  killed weeds twice, lime etc etc.  All plots were planted last week of august or first of sept.  Mix of white clovers,  oats,  winter rye.  That year we saw the most mature deer and deer in general,  that year was great.  it was the only food we had besides red oaks and I never seen a deer eat them.

we shot 3 bucks that bow season,  1 - 3.5,  probably a 4.5 and one no doubter at 5.5. (none were actually aged)  Crazy thing, but not so crazy is we didn't ever get one of those deer on cam ...  Fast forward to the next few years.  We did beans,  15 acres of corn,  all the clover came in well, cut and maintained.  Our hunting sucked.  We saw a TON of deer,  but didn't see anything decent till rut and we filled one tag in 2 years.  we killed the clover, and decided to start over.  Again,  all fall plots as the bean stand was planted in all oats,  winter rye and winter peas.  Again,  hunting was fantastic that fall.  So I feel like providing just fall food may actually be a good thing for your hunting.  Now,  if you don't care about older bucks,  having a ton of food attracts a TON of deer,  LOT'S of small bucks,  LOTS.  Personally,  I do food plots to help the deer.  I don't really hunt all that much on that land and i'd rather just see the deer be happy eating and spending time on our ground.  I don't think i'll change what i'm doing out there,  but I think there is something to be said about not having an over kill amount of food in spring/summer.  I believe the key is to have the only green food in oct around and that's it.

I personally shoot 3-4 doe a year and target meat the first 3 weeks of the season.  I stack my freezer with what I need,  then typically go out of state.  So to me,  I just enjoy to hear the neighbors talk about how all the deer live by us and see all their stands on the trees that sit closest to the boarder.  They are going to crap this year when they go in and see the Egyptian wheat along the fence that is 20 foot wide.  LMAO.  that was a lot of work but will make me smile when i hear through the grapevine about it.

Welder,  can you send me that information or article please?

Edited on 5/14/19 8:53 AM
Post Your Comment
5/13/19 @ 3:09 PM
FullDraw05
FullDraw05
USER since 10/10/17
Welder, really interesting point.. I recently came across a smaller parcel of land that had loads of deer on it, obviously not all living on it but in the general area. I didn't know how many until the first sit.. opening night of bow I saw over 45 does..no bucks. Not having any knowledge of management on my own property after only hunting public for years.. my first thought "Man, this rut is going to be insane out here." Well, Rut came and went with no shooter bucks spotted.. only a handful of basket racks.. and we did have a few 130-145 on camera throughout the season, so I know they are around.. The first few sits are going to be double lung doe city for me.. going to shoot as many as possible. I really believe your point to be true. 

Post Your Comment
5/13/19 @ 3:06 PM
.Long Barrels
.Long Barrels
USER since 12/9/14

JC I totally agree.

Welder,  sure,  that makes a lot of sense actually.  

Post Your Comment
5/13/19 @ 1:59 PM
WelderGuy
WelderGuy
USER since 12/19/10

To add to .LB’s post, I watched a land management video and the guy said “a lot of guys want all the does on their property but in reality if ur property is overrun with does the bucks tend to stay away because they like seclusion.”  That seems to make sense. He also said that yeah if u have a ton of does the bucks will be there during the rut but that’s a lot of time and money put into a property for a two week window of opportunity, also makes sense. He recommended managing the doe population and not planting spring/summer food plots because all the does will move in and set up camp on ur property making bucks move out to find seclusion. Just thought that was interesting. 

Post Your Comment
5/13/19 @ 9:58 AM
JC-Wisconsin
JC-Wisconsin
USER since 4/1/05

VHS is another thing that burns me with DNR.  Remember a few years ago the warnings that VHS is going to kill off entire fish populations in our lakes?  To combat this, they no longer allowed me to catch minnows in the creek to be used as bait.  All minnows must come from a certified fish farm.  Walleye minnows now are $7-$8 a dozen.  VHS has proven to be another overhyped issue where humans have little control over its spread.  Perhaps banning eagles and osprey from transporting fish from a lake would have been a good idea.  Perhaps requiring otters to eat their fish before leaving a property would make more sense, or to drop off their kill at a certified lab before leaving a waterbody.

CWD, VHS, etc. is going to spread.  DNR, like other state wildlife management regulators, have to come up with things to rationalize their positions, and have to come up with things to create more positions and secure more funding.  It gets rather sickening.  End of day, nature always takes its course regardless of how many rules they throw at us, or however much extra money it costs us to "protect" our resources.

Post Your Comment
5/13/19 @ 8:50 AM
.Long Barrels
.Long Barrels
USER since 12/9/14

anyone remember the days where "if you did an application online" you save the $3 for processing?  Now you get charged a "convenience fee".  It's ridiculous,  any way they can get more money they are doing it.  

I remember filling out "hunters choice" permits and I started doing them online to save the application fees.  Now you are better off walking into a store and buying the license to save the money. So azz backwards.  

Our DNR is so reactive anyway.  Just like the goby in lake winnebago.  They need to stop them from getting in but they are already there.  Same as the Zebra mussles,  they were there already 15 years ago before you even seen signs about "lets stop the ZM".  Regardless of what happens with a fish,  a deer, a bird,  the DNR will always be a step behind.  a situation needs to be f'd up before you see action with our DNR.  

They are trying to slow the spread of CWD....why?  You aren't going to so why waste the time and breathe on doing so?  Doe only in buffalo county??  I don't understand how people can't manage a herd by themselves?  If you have 45 doe in your green right now, you need to start shooting.  45 now will turn into 65....so this year shoot 25 and see what happens.  It's crazy how everyone "thinks" they are QDM but are too ignorant to actually manage the herd as a whole.  It's not a news flash either,  I know a lot of guys that want to save their doe and never kill them.   Folks think "I want all the doe,  then i'll have all the bucks".  No, no you won't.

Edited on 5/13/19 9:06 AM
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 67 Posts