Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Anyone allergic to deer hair/hides?

11/26/14 @ 10:19 AM
ORIGNAL POST
Cambridge
User since 3/21/14
Anyone out there with allergies to deer? For the last 4-5 years I've notice that after field dressing and later skinning out deer my hands get real itchy with some small hives. Not sure if its the hair or possibly the blood? Pretty sure its the hair. Not a big deal just kind of annoying. My face or neck will also get a bit itchy if not careful where I put my hands. I have not problems eating venison, preparing venison or my dogs hair. Anyone else notice this? Just a curiosity.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 5 OF 5 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
11/26/14 @ 12:36 PM
phowlsant
phowlsant
User since 2/25/12
Its not so much of the hair, but the dander. I'm allergic, first I start sneezing, then my eyes itch and will swell. But if I take some benedryl right away, I ll be fine. A buddy has a more severe reaction, his throat starts to swell, and trouble breathing. We done gut or skin deer, but we will drag. Fair trade off...at times...

11/26/14 @ 12:05 PM
Steve @ G & S
MEMBER since 6/15/01
A friend of mine dearly loves deer hunting but he cannot touch the hair, the blood and he can't even eat the meat or he ends up in the hospital! He always used to be somewhat bothered by the hair and blood, but his allergies have gotten so bad that not only can he not eat venison, but beef and pork also bother him now.

I did some investigating and discovered that this is caused by something called the Lone Star tick. Evidently the enzymes they transmit during the bite are very similar to the enzymes in all red meat, so the body reacts violently whenever the enzyme, regardless of the method it enters the body.

Now all he can eat is fish and poultry. And that sucks....

One thing I do know for certain is that if you're having an allergic reaction to deer hair, take all precaution around them. Wear gutting gloves and put latex gloves over the arm length plastic ones. You'll never know when that allergic reaction could become anaphylactic shock. And let me tell you, having your eyes swell shut is no fun, but if your throat swells shut, and it happens in the middle of the woods, you're screwed!

Formerly Steve @ G & S

11/26/14 @ 11:14 AM
bluegillbilly
User since 6/23/03
I am allergic to deer hair. If I even brush a hand near my eyes after gutting a deer my eyes will swell shut! I also get the hives on my forearms. Just use gutting gloves & wash up real well when finished. Make sure any extra hair is taken off your clothing and you will be in good shape.

11/26/14 @ 11:06 AM
bigfish35
bigfish35
User since 3/29/13
One of my buddies I hunt with has the same problem. Whenever he guts his deer he always looks like hes crying for the next hour or so but it eventually passes through.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 5 OF 5 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.