DEALS
SEARCH
MORE
Big Game Hunting

Antler Sheds

7/1/02 @ 10:15 PM
Pan-Man1
User since 6/17/02
THE MAN is goofy. The bucks choose to sherd their antlers. Watch a hunting show or pick up a hunting book would ya?>??????

Displaying 1 to 15 of 3,058 posts
3/19/19 @ 3:03 PM
WelderGuy
WelderGuy
User since 12/19/10

Nice find Hardcore!  Not easy finding matched sets let alone 3 in the same spot!! I actually found my first matched set ever this year. 

3/18/19 @ 6:22 AM
Hardcore-Wisconsin
Hardcore-Wisconsin
User since 8/10/10

Found my biggest set this weekend. Plus a 3rd one right there as well. 

Antler Sheds photo by Hardcore-Wisconsin
3/6/19 @ 3:57 PM
Deadbucksdontlie
User since 1/10/19

Let the chase begin!  But then again did it ever really stop?  Been seeing very large groups last few weeks putting the feedbag on pm. If the rain wipes out the snow completely it will be game on in  southern wi good luck to all!

3/6/19 @ 2:39 PM
.Long Barrels
User since 12/9/14

Flat featureless woods...just walk the trails.  Any thicker brush,  look there...bedding if you have any.  Walk on a overcast day,  sheds seem to be easier to spot.  

If the deer are wintering in your area,  there will be sheds.  If you don't have food on or neighboring properties,  I wouldn't bother beating your head with it.  walk the trails, nothing,  move on to a different property.  Ask a farmer that had crops standing or alfalfa fields.  

I've walked 40 hours and found nothing here in WI.  Even where there were deer wintering.  

3/6/19 @ 1:28 PM
hockeyguy39
User since 8/24/07

You mention scouring the south hills, but what are you typically looking for in flat, featureless woods? And I get it's not likely that there's anything that attracts deer to a particular spot like fish relate to structure, but do you just walk trails and hope for the best?

3/6/19 @ 9:23 AM
.Long Barrels
User since 12/9/14

Welder Guy,  that may be a good approximate date,  but it's truly a random thing.  Last year there was a 180 class deer down in Iowa still holding both sides in April.  The buck was seen crossing the road.  They also had a big 8 in the 150's that had both sides on cam March 23.  On the flip side,  they had already picked up about 20 by that valentine mark as far back as middle of January.  Every year is a different hunt.  Scour the south hills,  same bedding grounds 20 times and the 21st time there could be a 80 inch side.  I find shed hunting fascinating how you can walk past a shed within feet and not see it somehow.  It never gets old that's for sure....I love how my heart skips a beat when you first lay eye's on it and you KNOW.  priceless.

3/6/19 @ 7:34 AM
Hardcore-Wisconsin
Hardcore-Wisconsin
User since 8/10/10

weather is finally looking better next week. Almost time to pound some ground

2/20/19 @ 7:45 AM
WelderGuy
WelderGuy
User since 12/19/10

I heard someone once say that 50% of bucks are shed out by Valentine’s Day.  With all the snow I’ve been getting I suppose it doesn’t much matter anyway, unfortunately. Looks like it’ll be March before I even attempt to look. 

2/19/19 @ 10:50 PM
Cory2
User since 7/16/10

Small 8 in my yard Sunday am with both sides and 3 bucks along Hwy P in Waukesha County all holding both sides.  Surprised at that.

1/30/19 @ 4:26 PM
Analog man
Analog man
User since 12/10/18

Bucks lose their antlers due to a drop in testosterone not temp, but that's just me. I could he wrong .

1/30/19 @ 2:45 PM
shedhuntr
User since 2/15/10

Buddy found one in his bird feeder yesterday 

4/10/18 @ 9:42 AM
drummer boy
drummer boy
User since 3/14/08

I had a 6pt in my backyard this morning,that is the latest I have ever seen a buck with antlers still on his head.

4/9/18 @ 4:41 PM
WelderGuy
WelderGuy
User since 12/19/10

Got out for a bit this past weekend, didn’t find any sheds but I did find a broken tine of an antler. Better than nothing! 

3/26/18 @ 1:48 PM
beanthewalleyslayer
beanthewalleyslayer
User since 1/18/10

Found a few this weekend!

3/16/18 @ 4:13 PM
LyleP
User since 6/27/09

Looks like the one lost more than just his shed LOL.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 3,058 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing fueled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE