Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

2020 banner year for big racks?

4/27/20 @ 7:43 AM
ORIGINAL POST
northernexsposure
User since 3/15/08

I hunt Marathon, Taylor, Chippewa, & Clark counties and there were a lot of corn fields left standing all winter.   I have to believe that the deer wintered and fed heavily on these fields.  And should result in a healthier spring herd in these areas.  The deer do not have to get back to their "summer weight" and more of their energy this spring/summer can be used for horn growth.  In 45 years I never saw even close to the # of fields left standing and there are everywhere in this area.  Do you think this will impact the rack size this fall?  I personally think this could be a really good year for big bucks in the ag areas.

DISPLAYING 31 TO 33 OF 33 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS

4/28/20 @ 6:57 AM
s.s esox
User since 12/22/14

Genetics and food play a secondary role in antler in growth but at the end of the day it all comes down to AGE, especially in WI. Genetics and Food don't mean squat if the deer gets killed when he's 1.5 or 2.5. "My area has poor genetics" is just an excuse guys tell themselves before they pull trigger on a small buck.  

4/27/20 @ 7:55 AM
redhook
User since 12/25/09

Agree that the health of an animal will benefit antler growth, and yea there was a lot of beans and corn in the field last winter. I do get a kick every time I read posts stating that deer can't digest corn unless it is ground up, so it must be those darn turkeys eating all the corn in my food plot. Genetics do play a large part in antler size though. Good hunting this fall and stay safe.

DISPLAYING 31 TO 33 OF 33 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.