SEARCH
MORE
Big Game Hunting

2020 banner year for big racks?

TODAY @ 7:19 PM
INITIAL POST
northernexsposure
User since 3/15/08

I hunt Marathon, Taylor, Chippewa, & Clark counties and there were a lot of corn fields left standing all winter.   I have to believe that the deer wintered and fed heavily on these fields.  And should result in a healthier spring herd in these areas.  The deer do not have to get back to their "summer weight" and more of their energy this spring/summer can be used for horn growth.  In 45 years I never saw even close to the # of fields left standing and there are everywhere in this area.  Do you think this will impact the rack size this fall?  I personally think this could be a really good year for big bucks in the ag areas.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 33 posts
9/17/20 @ 6:59 PM
PSE
PSE
PRO MEMBER User since 11/25/05

I have seen some really nice pictures of some really nice bucks that have already been taken. Really nice!!

9/8/20 @ 9:36 PM
PSE
PSE
PRO MEMBER User since 11/25/05

Just read an article which stated that 53 percent of the bucks killed in Wisconsin are yearling bucks and Wisconsin is the only state in which the yearling buck kill is over 50 percent.

8/19/20 @ 10:33 PM
One shot one kill
User since 8/12/02

Saw a tiny one today  . Probably not 30 lbs  . In St Germain.  Won't last the winter at that size unless it lives under a bird feeders .

6/18/20 @ 4:09 PM
cantworkgottafish
User since 5/8/10

I only gun hunt so I wait until about November 10th to start putting out the mineral/protein rack growth supplements.  No sense growing a big rack for some bow hunter guy to get in mid October.    

6/18/20 @ 11:40 AM
the_dude
the_dude
User since 1/10/03

I'm late to the mineral/protein conversation, but I'll let you all in on a tip.  The bigger the buck on the package, the better the product will work.  So find the one with the biggest buck on the package.  

5/7/20 @ 12:58 PM
Saronafish
Saronafish
User since 1/5/05

Well mineral is bait by the DNR definition in the regulations so its illegal to have it out till 24 hours before bow season. FYI

I don't think it will be a good growing year in far NW Wisconsin. 30"+ snow pack from December 1st into March. No much for cold, but I think the deep snow is more stressful than the cold. Green up hasn't started yet either "up north" here so again, I don't expect any big jumps in the deer I am after. I'm just grossing my fingers they can all put on 10-15".

5/7/20 @ 8:09 AM
Dave1234
User since 9/8/09

We run a few trophy rocks and the deer love them.  I have read that It does help the does in spring and in my opinion I think it does help the rack a bit but that just me.  We have several bucks on camera this week!

5/6/20 @ 2:31 PM
ayeFeesh
User since 5/17/11

Not positive. They probably like the idea of selling mineral blocks and protein blocks separately. 

5/5/20 @ 4:51 PM
ayeFeesh
User since 5/17/11

Minerals are OK for overall health. But I believe do little for antler growth. Primary driver to antler growth is protein. 

5/5/20 @ 3:59 PM
madforlabs
User since 12/20/12

I used to do mineral supplements before it became illegal in my county. Not sure if it made a difference. Have a feeling its more hype than substance but the deer sure loved it. Great place to set up summer trail cams.

5/5/20 @ 1:57 PM
madforlabs
User since 12/20/12

AGE, NUTRITION, HABITAT, GENETICS....  Land managers can influence three out of the four. The more you can do to positively influence the first three, the better your results will be in maximizing the potential on your property. Easy concept . Lots of (FUN) work!!

5/5/20 @ 11:58 AM
ayeFeesh
User since 5/17/11

Redhook I googled what you said but none of it supports culling.

s.s esox got it. Only way to manage bucks in wild populations is by age, not antler size. Even if antler size is the goal. 

5/5/20 @ 11:16 AM
redhook
User since 12/25/09

Whitetail antler facts-Big Game Logic  google and read

5/5/20 @ 8:47 AM
s.s esox
User since 12/22/14

Culling, food, genetics, is all just diversion away from the truth and an excuse to justify pulling the trigger on a smaller younger bucks. Its very simple, Its all about AGE. In the vast majority of this state If hunters in WI want larger bucks they need to stop killing the 1.5 and 2.5 yr old bucks and kill more does.

5/5/20 @ 8:25 AM
badgerstatehunter
User since 2/6/06

One last point on culling.  Using the same logic wouldn't killing the biggest trophy be doing the reverse and taking the best genes away from your herd?  

Displaying 1 to 15 of 33 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
ice drilled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE