Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

2019 Gun Deer Final Numbers

12/3/19 @ 12:08 PM
ORIGNAL POST
JC-Wisconsin
User since 4/1/05

Just released, 2019 vs. 2018: Total buck kill down 28.6%, total harvest down 24.9%.  Northern Forest region was the worst: buck kill down 39.5%, total harvest down 38.2%.

Post opening weekend quote: "In 2018, we held the earliest possible deer season followed by the latest possible season in 2019. This occurred between the 2012-13 and 2007-08 seasons as well, and we saw similar declines in opening weekend registration totals," said DNR big game ecologist Kevin Wallenfang. 

2012 antlered harvest: 119,469

2013 antlered harvest: 102,221, drop of 14.5%

2007 antlered harvest: 133,107

2008 antlered harvest: 103,845, drop of 22%

Yes, there were decreases if you only look at the variable as stated by DNR above.  Total harvest of 75,236 bucks in 2019 tells another story.  Even in the worst years, the total buck kill was down 25% on top of the decrease "due to a late start to the season."  The buck kill was down 19% from the lowest buck kill numbers in the last 13 years.  We are on a continued and readily apparent trend downward.

As I posted in another thread, pick the year and you get the same excuses from DNR: standing crops, no snow, late start date to season, and the best of all "lack of hunter effort."

Most of us had record snowfalls late in the season which has never been seen before.  The Winter Severity Index does not properly account for deep snow or extreme cold.  -1 degree counts the same as -30 degrees, and 18" of snow counts the same as 40" of snow according to their system.  I feel a lot of deer died last winter/spring, but we were told we had a record population and a moderate winter even though hundreds of barn roofs collapsed from all the snow.

Since we as hunters failed, and did not do our part to reduce this out of control population as DNR has told us about, I suspect DNR will offer more doe tags, more seasons, more weapons, and longer seasons since we all obviously are failing at hunting.  

I am guessing the number of licenses sold next year will drop even faster with the winter we are already having.  

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 438 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
TODAY @ 12:47 PM
Farnorthbadger
User since 12/7/13

Shooting bucks won’t harm the deer population and I’m currently looking into other states Swamp . Nebraska or Montana in particular for white tails .I’m looking for quality hunts on public land , something Wisconsin doesn’t have up north anywhere currently. 

TODAY @ 11:54 AM
Swamp buck
User since 1/23/09

Just a question FNB. If you weren't seeing any deer like you say why would you continue to hunt for the few that are left? Wouldn't it be better to help the problem you are enraged about (low deer numbers) by not hunting? If it were me, I would find a new area to hunt

TODAY @ 10:21 AM
olswampdog
User since 10/6/04

"they stated the success rate was around 15%. That blew me away as I’m not a spearer and was shocked that possibly success rates on spearing sturgeon would or could be higher than harvesting a buck with a rifle in 2019 in the state of Wisconsin . Hats off to to the WDNR  fisheries for taking such good care of that fishery along with so many others  to average success rates that high ."

You do know that's an historical average with high's and low's and are well lower than the deer gun average since the 80's. Or probably not, and you'll probably be ranting at the fish management team for the disasterous overharvest resulting in only a 7% success rate this year. Forget that the conditions weren't conducive to even a mediocre harvest.

TODAY @ 8:24 AM
Farnorthbadger
User since 12/7/13

OSD do you even live or visit Wisconsin? What part of the state did you hunt in ? 

Lived in Wisconsin until 2 years ago. I've hunted Waushara, Waupaca, Green Lake, Fond du Lac, Marquette, Monroe, Langlade, Oneida, Lincoln and Vilas. Owned land in Langlade from '96 until just before I moved. Hunted Langlade as early as the 60's. Could go days back then without seeing a deer. Didn't do much serious hunting after my dad died in 03. How about you?

I have lived up here all my life other than college years OSD. I have hunted all of my life .  I went this entire season , xbow, rifle , muzzie seeing a single deer in the woods . One deer .  My son hunted much more than me and saw a grand total of 3 deer . All season ,on ag, hardwood foodplots private ground . If you lived here and could indeed see with your own two eyes just how devastated the deer population is and especially so if you hunted here ,I think you’d have a much different opinion on how well our WDNR is managing wildlife in Wisconsin. 

On another side note only Wisconsin residents would understand I was watching Fox11 this am and they reported the end of the sturgeon spearing season yada yada yada pretty standard until they stated the success rate was around 15%. That blew me away as I’m not a spearer and was shocked that possibly success rates on spearing sturgeon would or could be higher than harvesting a buck with a rifle in 2019 in the state of Wisconsin . Hats off to to the WDNR  fisheries for taking such good care of that fishery along with so many others  to average success rates that high . Our deer managers .......not so thrilled . Maybe I’ll just keep the boat in the water for a few extra weeks and skip the deer hunting altogether until our WDNR allows the  herd to recover. The best walleye fishing of the year or sitting in the woods seeing nothing is not a hard choice. There might be two fewer rifle tags sold in WI next year if our WDNR deer management team doesn’t get its $#!t together and start managing the deer herd honestly and competently. Fishing here or deer hunting another state ..........decisions.......

TODAY @ 4:14 AM
olswampdog
User since 10/6/04

"If I had to guestimate not even a half of the 1.8"                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            So what you are saying is with less than a million whitetails in the state of Wisconsin over half a million die each year and have for many years?

"There will always be a lot of people who really get it and some that don't."

Lol. I couldn't agree with you more. 

2/23/20 @ 9:05 PM
LittleLuck
User since 2/16/17

If I had to guestimate not even a half of the 1.8 or 2 million all time record high SAK guestimate that Kevin Wallenfang has been stating with excuses every year why we aren't killing more deer that aren't there. I believe when we had our record deer kill ever around 2000 or 2002 the SAK guestimate wasn't even 1.8 or 2 million. In the end it doesn't matter what my guestimate is, your guestimate is, or any others is, The point to be taken is that SAK isn't even close. Kill numbers are showing it along with other metrics as well as observations of thousands of thousands of hunters and people who don't hunt . There will always be a lot of people who really get it and some that don't. 

2/23/20 @ 3:38 PM
olswampdog
User since 10/6/04

"OSD you are in the minority in that you are one of the few non dnr people who still believes in SAK and that it is useful for deer population estimates."

Lol.....ok.

" Like I said before kill numbers alone are showing how far off and useless SAK is."

Let me ask you this. What do YOU think the population has been state wide with a fawn to doe ratio of about 1 (higher in the south lower in the north) and year after year harvest of around 350k. Tack on the 15% crippling loss. Add in another 100k for predation and vehicle crashes plus more some years for winterkill. Just curious.

2/23/20 @ 3:13 PM
LittleLuck
User since 2/16/17

OSD you are in the minority in that you are one of the few non dnr people who still believes in SAK and that it is useful for deer population estimates. Like I said before kill numbers alone are showing how far off and useless SAK is. Yet some believe it is a decent method for deer population estimates.  This is mind boggling. And not real science or deer management. 

2/23/20 @ 2:23 PM
olswampdog
User since 10/6/04

"OSD I would say you are in the minority when it comes to SAK." 

A minority how? In what context....lol.

"OSD just curious are you a former or current dnr employee and or do you have friends or relatives who work for the dnr and are involved in deer management? "

I did work at a State Park one summer. Does that count?

2/23/20 @ 2:18 PM
olswampdog
User since 10/6/04

"In 2019, 4,772 mi of rural roads were surveyed across all 99 Iowa counties. The number of miles surveyed was 18 mi shorter than the long-term average due to high spring precipitation and wet or flooded conditions along rural roads in riverine areas. In total, 16,490 white-tailed deer"

Seems like a similar method is used for visual summer samples in Wisconsin. Wisconsin gathers information from many sources to determine fawn to doe ratios. Perhaps I should backtrack a bit an agree with LL if this is the way you want to go and make sex ratios irrelevant. I did find it interesting that only unpaved rural roads were driven for the survey. Again though, Iowa is not Wisconsin in that it is very flat land consisting of farm fields cut only by river bottoms for the most part. Hardly comparable to Wisconsin. It would be an interesting comparison method in a few areas.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 438 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.