Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

2019 Gun Deer Final Numbers

12/3/19 @ 12:08 PM
ORIGNAL POST
JC-Wisconsin
User since 4/1/05

Just released, 2019 vs. 2018: Total buck kill down 28.6%, total harvest down 24.9%.  Northern Forest region was the worst: buck kill down 39.5%, total harvest down 38.2%.

Post opening weekend quote: "In 2018, we held the earliest possible deer season followed by the latest possible season in 2019. This occurred between the 2012-13 and 2007-08 seasons as well, and we saw similar declines in opening weekend registration totals," said DNR big game ecologist Kevin Wallenfang. 

2012 antlered harvest: 119,469

2013 antlered harvest: 102,221, drop of 14.5%

2007 antlered harvest: 133,107

2008 antlered harvest: 103,845, drop of 22%

Yes, there were decreases if you only look at the variable as stated by DNR above.  Total harvest of 75,236 bucks in 2019 tells another story.  Even in the worst years, the total buck kill was down 25% on top of the decrease "due to a late start to the season."  The buck kill was down 19% from the lowest buck kill numbers in the last 13 years.  We are on a continued and readily apparent trend downward.

As I posted in another thread, pick the year and you get the same excuses from DNR: standing crops, no snow, late start date to season, and the best of all "lack of hunter effort."

Most of us had record snowfalls late in the season which has never been seen before.  The Winter Severity Index does not properly account for deep snow or extreme cold.  -1 degree counts the same as -30 degrees, and 18" of snow counts the same as 40" of snow according to their system.  I feel a lot of deer died last winter/spring, but we were told we had a record population and a moderate winter even though hundreds of barn roofs collapsed from all the snow.

Since we as hunters failed, and did not do our part to reduce this out of control population as DNR has told us about, I suspect DNR will offer more doe tags, more seasons, more weapons, and longer seasons since we all obviously are failing at hunting.  

I am guessing the number of licenses sold next year will drop even faster with the winter we are already having.  

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 391 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
2/19/20 @ 10:35 PM
LittleLuck
User since 2/16/17

And the dnr is still using SAK to give population estimates to the CDACs in the central forest. Real sound wildlife management. 

2/19/20 @ 10:24 PM
LittleLuck
User since 2/16/17

Keith Warnke of the dnr flat out admitted to me that SAK wasn't working in the central forest region and stated the dnr didnt know why. Yet they kept using it and essentially issued unlimited doe tags in a lot of the central forest for years. And people wonder why there are  very few deer in many areas in the central forest now? Why anyone would put any faith in SAK when audits of this formula have shown accuracy of plus or minus 121% of the deer population.? Would you use a formula like that to balance your checkbook?

2/19/20 @ 7:41 PM
olswampdog
User since 10/6/04

Ya, FNB, but BSH's article would be a great argument you could use for the need for more deer. Heck you might even see one without your bait pile. 

Don't matter, I'm done putting facts out there for you to dismiss for the simple reason you can't see any deer on the road.

2/19/20 @ 6:58 PM
YBONE
User since 2/11/02

Brule River bottoms. Deer do yard up here. Each pile of hair is where a deer laid and starved to death. There were a few more in the area, couldn't get them all in one pic. Must've been one of those rare occasions when the food source couldn't support the population. If they only could've googled to find out they were supposed to help each other through the winter they wouldn't have had to lay there staring at each other watching each other die. This was a few years back when we had a normal spring, all the snow was actually gone for the trout opener.

2/19/20 @ 6:09 PM
YBONE
User since 2/11/02

How does SAK take into consideration the notion that ALL deer north of 64 yard up and help each other through the winter? The more deer, the more assistance they can give/get. That reminds me, I saw two laying dead on the shoulder of highway 70 last Sunday when I was on my way out to my cabin to strap on the snowshoes and go for a hike. You know, like, get out there and observe. Not look crap up on google and believe everything that favors my cause and disbelieve everything that doesn't. Anyway, they were about 6 and 7 miles east of Eagle River. After googling about deer help each other I figure they unselfishly gave their lives to block traffic and help their fellow deer cross the highway to eat on the illegal corn piles that pretty much all of the residents of Vilas and Forest county are throwing down. FNB you didn't see those? Next time you take a drive from Florence to Eagle River do me a favor and take a right on 55 and go up around on A and through Phelps and down to Eagle River on 17. Let us know how many tracks you see. I would suggest you watch your speed. They are hungry this time of year and head for the piles at all hours of the day.

2/19/20 @ 5:56 PM
Farnorthbadger
User since 12/7/13

The realtor article wasn’t mine oh wise one .
Check your facts OSD . You can use SAK , I’ll trust what I see ......or don’t see . Again this will be settled next fall in either a double of the buck kill next year or not , I’m guessing what I see will be another terrible deer season in the Northwoods . 

2/19/20 @ 5:49 PM
olswampdog
User since 10/6/04

"SAK does not take into account any drops in the Wisconsin deer herd until years after the fact ."

Wrong again. Shows you know absolutely nothing about that which you continue to villianize. SAK is recalculated each year based on harvest statistics. I've told you what I've found to be lacking in the calculations. As far as the 1.8 mil estimate I'm not about to go through the calculations of each and every DMU in regards to yearling buck/doe percentages in the harvest, doe to fawn ratios, adjustments for winter severity and trophy hunting to double check their calculations. Feel free to have at it or you could just find another realtor article to quote. Keep talking. Let everyone know how up you are on deer management in Wisconsin. Better yet ask your realtor.

2/19/20 @ 5:35 PM
Farnorthbadger
User since 12/7/13

SAK does not take into account any drops in the Wisconsin deer herd until years after the fact . A glitch our WDNR knows full well exactly how to exploit . It’s why they have such a litany of the same old tired excuses when buck harvest plummets . It’s pretty standard deer management by our WDNR in Wisconsin for the last 20 years OSD. It’s the reason I’m not a fan ( I do think our fisheries division does a fantastic job though OSD) When it takes a square mile to harvest a single buck during rifle season in Wisconsin the jig is up and they are forced back to buck only seasons . They don’t do the same in a Maine ? I’m still waiting patiently for your wisdom on backing up your friends 1.8 million Wisconsin statewide record 2019 deer population estimate ?. The so called record deer population SAK gave them . How does the 2019 Wisconsin deer harvest stack up to those climbing SAK population estimates ? One is climbing and the other is plummeting........hmmmmmm might there be something wrong OSD ? Fill us in please , lay some of that knowledge on us all. 

2/19/20 @ 4:19 PM
olswampdog
User since 10/6/04

Just curious if you have actually looked at how SAK works or if you just bad mouth the DNR in general because you can't bait anymore. If you have, please explain what part of it YOU think gives such a bad estimate. I've explained what I think are its limitations and possible improvements. Oh wait, you can't explain anything you spew you just quote articles by realtors in states that annually have roughly 7% the harvest of Wisconsin to push your baiting agenda. You've been found out. Come hunt in Maine FNB. Oh wait, no baiting allowed here either. Never mind.

2/19/20 @ 3:01 PM
Farnorthbadger
User since 12/7/13

Little luck I’ll go one further ......our WDNR perfectly knows how inaccurate SAK is and simply uses it to somehow someway be able to justify how badly they’ve crushed Wisconsin’s deer herd. After killing not even a single buck per square mile in rifle season in the Northern Forest in 2019 they are out of excuses as far as I’m concerned . A late season, bad weather , and lazy hunters won’t cut it as excuses for the multitude of  terrible deer management decisions they make year after year . 

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 391 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.