Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

2 bull elk killed by same hunter

11/29/19 @ 8:38 PM
ORIGNAL POST
1up
User since 7/22/06

nice job if you can not tell the difference from a bull elk from a whitetail deer get out of the woods

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 13 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
12/6/19 @ 8:21 PM
roofer
User since 6/6/04

youper,  I also remember a lady archer in nort wisc  that shot a moose with a bow (not cross bow), self reported it and wanted to keep it. Went to court and judge asked how long she hunted. She replied  that she has bow hunted for what ever years and was proud of it.  Judge said you know the difference between a moose and a large white tail is about 800 pounds.  Know your target.

12/6/19 @ 6:54 PM
youp50
User since 8/18/19

As I recall some time ago a lady archer took an elk calf.  She turned herself in and was upset the judge took her hunting license for some years.  She was upset that because she turned herself in she thought she should not lose those years.  I think it was said that now you have the time to learn to identify your game.

A few years ago, I was in a basin in Colorado elk hunting.  A moose had been seen in the basin, signs were posted stating moose were there.  Every local I talked to warned me about the moose.  Really?  Can't tell the difference between a moose and an elk. 

12/6/19 @ 2:17 PM
brews4995
brews4995
User since 4/2/10

Ive heard a story, not sure if true or not about a guy who needed help loading his kill into the truck. Someone stopped to help and informed the hunter he had a Jersey cow, not a deer.

12/6/19 @ 11:23 AM
Wicasa
Wicasa
User since 11/11/15

This is a deer, This is a goat,   this is an elk.

Back in the day there was a bar called Dick's Toy Bank along Highway 73 in western Wood or eastern Clark county.  There was a mounted goat head with the story underneath.  A kid, who was a complete newbie, was told to shoot the first thing with horns.  

So he did.   

12/6/19 @ 8:17 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09

Rumor going around, whether true or not, is that she shot the first spike elk and while tracking it she saw another.  Thought it was the same one so she shot to finish it off, turned out to be a second one.  Then she self reported it.

DNR described her as not a new hunter, but still a novice.  Politically correct way of saying the's an idiot.

12/6/19 @ 5:06 AM
jkb
User since 6/25/02

Hunters safety will add a new unit on animal identification.

This is a deer, This is a goat,   this is an elk.

If you are a hunter you have a responsibility to know your target no matter how stupid you are.

12/5/19 @ 1:46 PM
PimplySwede
User since 1/6/09

I can sorta understand if you live somewhere without an elk presence and travelled to hunt, but she lives in an area where there's an elk herd.

No excuse.

11/30/19 @ 11:42 AM
ihookem
ihookem
User since 11/29/01

I wonder how smart she can possibly be, and can hardly believe she made the same mistake twice. She should have played the lottery twice that day.  I dont think it was a mistake.

11/30/19 @ 8:58 AM
Safe Hunt
User since 11/2/12

Really interesting and thoughtful comment Brews4995

Thanks for your input

11/30/19 @ 7:57 AM
Joe D
User since 3/21/05

article said private land Rusk County

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 13 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.