LAKES
REPORTS
FORUMS
TRAVEL
DEALS
SEARCH
MORE
Bass Fishing

Year Round Season for Bass. Catch and release till the opener.

5/20/19 @ 11:08 PM
INITIAL POST
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02

I've seen this on the DNR advisory question 2 times I think. Both have passed with majority Yes votes. Michigan has year round open season for bass. Catch and release from Jan. 1 till the opener. Seems to work fine and I live near the border, so it's nice to fish bass during late ice. (They bite really well in April!)

Seems like bass spawn after the opener state wide anyways. What do you all think? 

Displaying 1 to 11 of 11 posts
7/5/19 @ 1:16 PM
denesox
denesox
User since 2/1/06

There is no biological reason to close bass season.  They are the one fish in the state that doesn't ever need help, and doesn't even need to get stocked....even after major fish kills...bass always bounce back. 

Plus, the only logical time to close season and protect a species, would be the spawn....which we are allowed to not only fish, but harvest as well.....so if we can harvest them while spawning, does it make sense to protect them just before?  Not really.

When I worked for the DNR, I was always told (I brought this subject up every year) that I was right, there was no reason biologically to close the season, but rather that by closing the season, it allowed for the traditional "opening day".....I was told over and over, its this "tradition" that has prevented removing the closed season (as stupid as this sounds).....and driving a myriad of eager bass fishermen to other states to spend their money every spring.

Literally, the closed season on bass costs this state money every year.....its just not logical and im glad this catch and release season is gaining steam...I have no doubts it will happen here in the next couple of years....better late than never, I guess.

6/3/19 @ 9:12 PM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02

Agree with both of you. Year round harvest would probably have little effect and might even thin out the lakes in a good way. I think we have to get beyond the concept of "gamefish" and "panfish" and just look at fish period sometimes.

6/2/19 @ 7:46 AM
Ulbian
User since 9/24/03

“It's clear to me and I'm sure others here that n.pike is simply looking for continued tip-up season in the north”

There is no closed “tip-up season” anywhere.  If you meant more opportunities to target gamefish then it would make more sense...but not a “closed” season for tip-ups. 

Largemouth are very prolific spawners. I don’t see any reason why a bunch of systems throughout the state couldn’t be open to harvest all year long along with lower minimum size restrictions. Plus, they are good table fare. 

6/1/19 @ 8:28 PM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02

Good points I fish. I do agree that enforcement might be an issue with some who don’t follow the ethics.  Occasional other game fish would be caught both by mistake, and maybe not by mistake if you know what I mean.

But, there are a number of lakes up north here where bass is the primary gamefish and other species aren’t likely to get in the way.

I agree with you, more opportunities are great. And the number of us who want to actually fish bass during March and April up here is probably pretty small.

Fished a lake today. Bass On their beds for sure. Again, this just makes me feel even more that they are so much more vulnerable now than in March and April. If there was a closed season that made the most sense for Bass protection, it would May 15 - June 15 up here in my opinion.

5/22/19 @ 7:49 AM
Tuffy2
User since 7/7/04

The only problem that I see is “The late ice” fishing. I would assume that is live bait fishing? I’ve always been a C&R person on bass, so that would be a no for me. I have fished the bay in Ashland early in May several times. It is C&R and it was never a problem. I have also fished a lake in Forest county early with barbless hooks on my jerkbaits and it wasn’t a problem. The difference is these were always artificial baits. Maybe if they had a “ No live bait season” it would work?

5/21/19 @ 6:53 AM
phishin phool
phishin phool
PRO MEMBER User since 4/5/08

As I am primarily a Bass Phisherman oops. Person...I hesitate. But, I think I could support that concept. If there was a way to ensure people would do the "release" carefully and not stress the fish.

Displaying 1 to 11 of 11 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
boat towed by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE