Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Whopper Plopper

8/8/18 @ 9:29 AM
ORIGNAL POST
Highbridge
User since 1/29/18
I caught 2 bass throwing a musky sized whopper popper, both fish hit with force.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 14 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
8/5/20 @ 4:19 PM
Elliott Jacobson
Elliott Jacobson
User since 1/25/17

River smallies in northern Wisconsin love the dahlberg series. https://youtu.be/LHlHk01HthU

7/29/20 @ 8:51 AM
Fish4Musky
Fish4Musky
User since 6/18/13

Haven’t fished LMB enough this year. But got this one a few weeks ago. 

7/27/20 @ 9:07 PM
jemstone90
jemstone90
User since 7/7/15

I have a number of Whopper Plopper's and Choppo's and I use them on a regular basis for Bass in the shallows and for Pike. I have scored on both accounts. The 90's and the 120's seem to be MY favorites. The thrill of the Plopper style is the suspense of watching them scoot across the water and seeing angered fish come out of the water to hit them. I have caught a lot of Bass this year on a red and white #5 Mepps too, but you don't get to see them come out of the water to hit it. I wish you guys would post some photos of the fish your catching.

7/5/20 @ 5:53 PM
goju
User since 12/30/10

I just spent a week in Lake Vermilion and absolutely smashed the smallies with the Berkley Choppo.  We had problems with short strikes the first day, but I removed the tail hooks and put on a piece of shrink tubing.  Put the hooks back on and heated the tubing.  Hook stood straight out and solved the short strike problem.  For out group (4 people), the Choppo outfished the Whopper Plopper.  Choppo is also a lot cheaper.  

This was only our experience and was only for a week.   

6/27/20 @ 2:49 AM
Jacob hughes
User since 6/27/20

I was really pressed to spend 15 dollars on a fishing lure especially if it snaps off or you lose it i finally pushed myself to go out and get one just to see what it could do. I bought the 90mm which i think is the best for bass or the 110mm in the bone color bright yellow with some red. I watch a bass come the surface I cast 5-6 ft away after just getting it to plop 3 maybe 4 times get a 3.5 lb bass on it. Next cast same thing 3 maybe 4 or 5 plops and i get a little one pound these things work really well from what i've experienced i've caught bass that are the same size of the bait on it. if your skeptical i'd say open up to new things try this out.  

8/14/18 @ 9:35 AM
jbird68
jbird68
User since 1/24/05

I've tried the Whopper Plopper 90's in Bone and Loon colors. I've only caught 3 bass all summer. I've had more luck with the buzz bait. Yes, you can't pause it but it makes a louder clacking noise compared to the plopper. I still throw the plopper some times but if I ain't catching fish I'm tying on the Buzz. I caught my biggest bass this year pulling the Buzz over the edge of lilly pads. I threw it to an opening in the lillies, stated cranking right away and as soon as it got to the edge this 3 lbs bass slammed it. Now that is fun! 

8/11/18 @ 12:14 AM
SuspendedMusky
SuspendedMusky
User since 12/9/08
We have the Whopper Plopper in the 190 and 130 size.  This year my son caught 5 large bass on the 130.  We have caught a couple of 25 lb muskies on the 190 version.

8/10/18 @ 4:56 PM
BassWhacker
BassWhacker
User since 9/4/17

I have three sizes of ploppers 110, 90, and the new 75. I don't tie them on much because they don't get much attention. I definitely have more luck fishing spooks. I can't pinpoint as to why, they sound good, but haven't managed to get on a real Whopper plopper bite. If you just like to cast and wind scoop one up. But for the price there are better options in my opinion. 

8/10/18 @ 11:01 AM
Scott F
User since 6/12/10

To say that it's just like any other propeller lure means;

A. You've never used one.

B. You won't pay $13-$17 for a lure.

C. You are jealous of those who do pay up for them.

D. You don't know what you are talking about.

E. All of the above

They may be a fad, but they are because of how well they catch bass. No Heddon torpedo ever gave off the amount of noise and vibrations a Whopper Plopper does. The closest other lure to compare it to would be a buzzbait which will come through weeds better but, you can't stop and pause a buzzbait. Yes, they are expensive. If you can't bring yourself to spend that amount on a lure, don't. But It's a fun lure to fish and they are catch a lot of bass anytime the water is warm. 

8/10/18 @ 6:29 AM
Johnny Bravo
User since 10/6/17

Just got my first bass on a whopper plopper, it was just a small one though.

Started with a kastmaster & saw a wake but no hit, moved onto a paddle tail then a frog no luck there either, first cast with the whopper plopper got him.

I don't fish it much given how weedy it is where I fish so I can't really say how well they work, but it does catch fish and I will use it again when I get a chance to.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 14 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.