LOGIN
Lake-Link

whats the besr search bait

5/5/14 @ 6:09 PM
ORIGINAL POST
stame
stame
User since 3/17/12
Looking at water temps kinda wounded in what to use in this 48deg water been working a 1/2 skirted jig with a ribworm trailer works good and all but wounded in if there is better this time of year

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 10 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
6/3/14 @ 3:51 PM
denesox
denesox
User since 2/1/06
swim jigs, swimbaits, spinnerbaits...buzzbaits and really topwaters in general, cranks and soft plastic jerk baits

Post spawn funk is just around the corner.

I have yet to have a bad day on that lake adidas, its a real favorite of mine, but it can be a tough cookie to figure out...I guess that's part of the draw for me. Oddly enough, my best days were during the post spawn funk.

6/2/14 @ 3:11 PM
AllDayIDreamAboutSmallies
AllDayIDreamAboutSmallies
User since 3/14/06
How about post-spawn, before summer patterns are established? Whitewater SH*T on us yesterday!

5/29/14 @ 8:57 PM
kvdwannabe
User since 8/17/12
lucky craft dr,mr,

5/12/14 @ 11:33 AM
Billy
User since 6/15/01
Rattle trap it covers the entire water column.

5/11/14 @ 4:35 PM
ultramicro
User since 6/17/11
denesox,

I agree with you, big single bladed spinnerbaits tend to discourage the small ones early in the season and often result in fewer but better bites! I use big Colorado blades too, mostly in very cold and murky water, but I really like the action of the Indiana blades, especially when the retrieve is paused. I'm glad you mentioned jerkbaits, they can be deadly when the water's clear and cold.

5/6/14 @ 3:56 PM
denesox
denesox
User since 2/1/06
Square bills, shad raps, lipless cranks, jerk baits and bladed swim jigs (chatterbait) are all good cold water search baits.

edit: ultra, you are right on, early season is the only time I use big single Colorado blade spinnerbaits. They don't bring a lot of fish, but they are a great big fish bait. Rarely do I catch smaller bass on them in cold water.

5/6/14 @ 3:48 PM
ultramicro
User since 6/17/11
Big single bladed spinnerbaits can be very good search baits in 50-60 degree water. 48 degrees wouldn't be too cold, either. A crank and pause retrieve, just at the depth where the bait is almost out of sight, has worked well for me. I almost always use big (#5-7) white or silver Indiana blades (sometimes chartreuse) and usually add a white trailer. A shorter trailer might get you greater numbers, while a longer trailer usually resulted in better quality.

5/5/14 @ 10:35 PM
haulin bass
haulin bass
User since 4/8/07
Lip-less crank for deeper water, square billed crank shallow.

5/5/14 @ 8:11 PM
local fisherman
User since 5/2/05
Rattletrap

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 10 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.