SEARCH
MORE
Bass Fishing

New 2021 Bass Fishing Regulations

2/27/20 @ 10:10 AM
INITIAL POST
Rippin'Lips
User since 1/22/17

What do you guys think of the new continuous catch-and-release bass fishing season? I personally am all for it, but can see both sides of the argument. 

Let me know your thoughts on the new regulations!

https://dnr.wi.gov/news/Weekly/Article/?id=4735 

Displaying 1 to 15 of 19 posts
5/3/20 @ 12:52 AM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02

Icebelt-Yeah, lot of bass in that lake for sure.

In fact, there are a number of lakes up here just loaded with 11-13 inch bass. Fun for kids, but gets a little old after a while because 98 percent of the fish that are caught are in that range. Definitely some stunted lakes. 

4/28/20 @ 11:41 PM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02

I'm with you Rippin Lips. I actually explained myself to a guy walking up to me before we started even talking. Just anticipated what he was thinking before we even talked. The previous guy reminded me that the season didn't open until next weekend. He was nice about it, but I wonder if he saw my bass plastic on one of my rods, and thought I was illegal. 

4/28/20 @ 12:38 PM
Timmothy A
User since 5/17/09

I'm not a bass guys so I'm just trying to use what I have and my most effective bait for the early bass so far as been a 5" huskyjerk that I twitch, pause or do a constant retrieval on.  They don't seem to interested in smaller stick baits or smaller spinnerbaits.

4/27/20 @ 8:03 PM
Rippin'Lips
User since 1/22/17

I agree pike, it almost feels like I am doing something illegal when bass fishing right now! I sure get a lot of weird looks by other anglers when I am on the water, kind of just shows how many people don't stay up to date on the regulations.

4/26/20 @ 11:23 PM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02
I'm still running into a number of people that don't know this new law is in effect. Maybe next year it'll be more a part of people's understanding. Almost Felt like I was illegally fishing the other day throwing bass baits by a dam. No bass around, so I put the rod down, but others probably thought I was going for other stuff. 
4/21/20 @ 7:20 AM
fishnhunt14
User since 4/17/07

Why not just open all species to catch and release year round and have certain seasons where different species can be harvested? What's wrong with going out and catching walleyes on lakes right now and throwing them back? They get absolutely pounded on rivers every year and they still have good fishing. Pike spawn right after ice out, there's no reason you can't fish for them right now. Glad to see things are starting to change in the right direction with this new bass season. The old season structure for inland lakes is just more government overreach that doesn't make sense and is not backed up with biology.

Glad I live on the Mississippi River where its open year round.

4/18/20 @ 10:53 PM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02

I think a lot of it comes to our own self ethics. 

First off, are we fishing an area known for bass or that makes sense that bass would be there this time of year? 

Then, are we throwing a lure that is realistic for the bass in the area that time of year?  (For example: A spinnerbait-absolutely fine-a 6 inch Jake Lure, probably not.) 

Then, are the majority, or all of the fish we are catching-bass?

I would say if you can answer YES to all three questions, you are fine. If I were fishing and I'm catching more pike than bass-game over. I'm no longer bass fishing in my own ethical mind. 

4/17/20 @ 9:56 PM
Cat Man J.J.
PRO MEMBER User since 5/9/03

I feel that bass fishing for the most part is catch and release year round by anglers choice so opening it in April didn't seem like a big deal.

However this does bring up the question of what's a bass bait and what's a pike bait?

If I'm throwing a red and white Daredevil in a pike fishing? A spinnerbait or plastic worm bass fishing? What if I'm using a crankbait or rattlebait type lure?

It's kind of opening the door to yearly season catch and release multi species game fishing in a way.

JJ

4/12/20 @ 11:00 PM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02

I would be in favor of pike Catch and Release too. I think that'll come down the line.

Bass spawn in late May/early June in many places. So, the closed season of the past was not really benefitting them in any way. Catch and release is great because it returns the fish to the water anyways. I'm all for more opportunities and keeping the fishery healthy at the same time. This does both of those and I think Pike will be next. 

4/11/20 @ 7:23 AM
Timmothy A
User since 5/17/09

I am really enjoying this rule change.  Usually I don't fish for bass but I catch them by accident during the season pike and musky fishing.  It's a nice way to pass the time before opening day trying to figure out where they are.  So far on 2 trips we've caught more bass than pike, so we must be doing something right.  I'm not sure why they just don't treat pike like bass and have it just C&R until opening day.  Maybe it's to protect the muskies, but muskies are for all intents and purposes always C&R anyway.  

4/10/20 @ 6:41 PM
BadgerRedd
User since 3/11/07

Took a few walks with the dog this week and noticed several people casting lures in boats and on shore, asked what they were doing and they claimed bass fishing.  I've been told in previous years and at the Madison Fishing Expo a month ago, that targeting "game fish" is illegal in the Madison Chain of Lakes. Aren't bass game fish? Wardens at the Expo said just having a lure they considered a game fish lure would warrant a ticket so what changed? I know I've caught bass, walleyes, northerns and muskies on the same lure and in a pretty specific area on Monona and while I understand the catch and release bass season, would I possibly get ticketed if a warden decided a Mepps/Rapala type bait was targeting something besides bass? 

4/2/20 @ 8:22 PM
badgerbass
User since 8/20/07

The opener for the catch and release bass season was a blast!! Caught about 25 fish in 3 hours, even had three doubles. this will ease my pain of having to cancel my trip to Lake of the Ozarks do to covid-19.

4/1/20 @ 11:47 AM
Rippin'Lips
User since 1/22/17

I absolutely cannot wait for the ice to leave the lakes around here to get the boat out! I have been waiting for Wisconsin to change the laws for awhile so this is big news for me. A ton of great fishing opportunities come and go every year before the season usually even opens

3/31/20 @ 4:07 PM
Robbollio
Robbollio
User since 10/17/04

Same here! I dont even care to walleye fish now early. Take the yak out on lakes with virtually no pressure. Sign me up!

3/29/20 @ 8:04 PM
denesox
denesox
User since 2/1/06

Its about time.....I don't get what the other side could possibly be....there is no biological reason to have the season closed, bass need no protection.....on top of that, a closed season forces many bass fishermen out of state every spring to spend their money elsewhere instead of spending at home in WI...the others that stay, it forces them to the  packed walleye runs, which already have enough pressure on them.....with bass season open, walleye will face less pressure, and those walleye areas just might be a little safer, or less annoying with a few less anglers piled in.

Its a win-win scenario for the state, and its about time they caught up with the rest of the country (most states don't have closed bass seasons anymore as its proven to have no negative effect on the bass fisheries).

I'm thrilled I don't have to force myself to fish walleye this year (booooring) and can now bass fish instead....for bass fishermen in this state, dare I say this is life changing...at least in spring it is.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 19 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
solid hook sets by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE