LOGIN
Lake-Link
CORONAVIRUS STATEMENT FROM LAKE-LINK

New 2021 Bass Fishing Regulations

2/27/20 @ 10:10 AM
ORIGNAL POST
Rippin'Lips
User since 1/22/17

What do you guys think of the new continuous catch-and-release bass fishing season? I personally am all for it, but can see both sides of the argument. 

Let me know your thoughts on the new regulations!

https://dnr.wi.gov/news/Weekly/Article/?id=4735 

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 19 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
5/3/20 @ 12:52 AM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02

Icebelt-Yeah, lot of bass in that lake for sure.

In fact, there are a number of lakes up here just loaded with 11-13 inch bass. Fun for kids, but gets a little old after a while because 98 percent of the fish that are caught are in that range. Definitely some stunted lakes. 

5/2/20 @ 9:17 AM
SnakeSter
SnakeSter
MEMBER since 7/9/12

They definitely eat good. Nothings wrong with eating bass. There’s a lot of bass, almost endless supply. 

4/30/20 @ 10:44 PM
icebelt
User since 10/22/13

Most don’t care about bass that much. It used to be open but someone got a revelation that these things need protection. Boy were they wrong now they are stunted in a lot of water. They completely took over say a lake like bass lake right by you npike can’t get rid of them now. If they ate good maybe.

4/28/20 @ 11:41 PM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02

I'm with you Rippin Lips. I actually explained myself to a guy walking up to me before we started even talking. Just anticipated what he was thinking before we even talked. The previous guy reminded me that the season didn't open until next weekend. He was nice about it, but I wonder if he saw my bass plastic on one of my rods, and thought I was illegal. 

4/28/20 @ 12:38 PM
Timmothy A
User since 5/17/09

I'm not a bass guys so I'm just trying to use what I have and my most effective bait for the early bass so far as been a 5" huskyjerk that I twitch, pause or do a constant retrieval on.  They don't seem to interested in smaller stick baits or smaller spinnerbaits.

4/27/20 @ 8:03 PM
Rippin'Lips
User since 1/22/17

I agree pike, it almost feels like I am doing something illegal when bass fishing right now! I sure get a lot of weird looks by other anglers when I am on the water, kind of just shows how many people don't stay up to date on the regulations.

4/26/20 @ 11:23 PM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02
I'm still running into a number of people that don't know this new law is in effect. Maybe next year it'll be more a part of people's understanding. Almost Felt like I was illegally fishing the other day throwing bass baits by a dam. No bass around, so I put the rod down, but others probably thought I was going for other stuff. 

4/21/20 @ 7:20 AM
fishnhunt14
User since 4/17/07

Why not just open all species to catch and release year round and have certain seasons where different species can be harvested? What's wrong with going out and catching walleyes on lakes right now and throwing them back? They get absolutely pounded on rivers every year and they still have good fishing. Pike spawn right after ice out, there's no reason you can't fish for them right now. Glad to see things are starting to change in the right direction with this new bass season. The old season structure for inland lakes is just more government overreach that doesn't make sense and is not backed up with biology.

Glad I live on the Mississippi River where its open year round.

4/18/20 @ 10:53 PM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02

I think a lot of it comes to our own self ethics. 

First off, are we fishing an area known for bass or that makes sense that bass would be there this time of year? 

Then, are we throwing a lure that is realistic for the bass in the area that time of year?  (For example: A spinnerbait-absolutely fine-a 6 inch Jake Lure, probably not.) 

Then, are the majority, or all of the fish we are catching-bass?

I would say if you can answer YES to all three questions, you are fine. If I were fishing and I'm catching more pike than bass-game over. I'm no longer bass fishing in my own ethical mind. 

4/17/20 @ 9:56 PM
Cat Man J.J.
User since 5/9/03

I feel that bass fishing for the most part is catch and release year round by anglers choice so opening it in April didn't seem like a big deal.

However this does bring up the question of what's a bass bait and what's a pike bait?

If I'm throwing a red and white Daredevil in a pike fishing? A spinnerbait or plastic worm bass fishing? What if I'm using a crankbait or rattlebait type lure?

It's kind of opening the door to yearly season catch and release multi species game fishing in a way.

JJ

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 19 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.