Lake-Link
CORONAVIRUS STATEMENT FROM LAKE-LINK

Keeping Bass

5/22/19 @ 12:35 PM
ORIGNAL POST
Fishlovme
Fishlovme
MEMBER since 6/22/01

How many of you keep bass, largemouth or smallmouth?

I fish a lake in Southeastern Wisconsin for eating bass that has a slot limit, no fish between 14 and 18 inches may be kept.  This lake has this regulation because you can catch 100 bass in a couple of hours, and out of those 100 bass maybe 1 or 2 would reach the slot.  The limit is 3, and I think a 12 or 13 inch bass is as good as any other freshwater fish!  I've been on lakes that have a 14 inch minimum and kept a 16 inch fish and it tasted like the weeds it was living in!  

Personally I wish there were more lakes in the state with slot limits like 14-18 inch, or 16-20, something like that.  Keep the small ones and let the big ones go!

Which one tastes better, a largemouth or a smallmouth?  In my opinion and based on experience the smallmouth tastes better.  

Also, just so you know, on keeping bass.  I go to that lake in Southeastern Wisconsin once a year, so I'm not keeping a ton of bass out of that lake, or any lake for that matter.  But I do like them and think they taste as good or better than a bluegill or perch.

Here's a great video my friend did of a bass being caught, kept, cleaned and eaten fresh. Delicious!

DISPLAYING 11 TO 20 OF 28 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
1/31/20 @ 7:00 PM
icefishingbestfishing
User since 11/27/19

JamesD, I think it depends on the fish and the size. I agree that Walleye usually always taste good, even the big ones. Especially if you're gonna batter and fry them.

I will say this though - I recently pulled a big 36" pike on a tip up that  somehow got really badly hooked in the gills - so I kept him. I usually keep pike around 28".  This guy is definitely the worst tasting pike I've had (maybe it's in my head though...... blind taste test is real smart). 

1/31/20 @ 7:54 AM
SnakeSter
SnakeSter
MEMBER since 7/9/12

Great post Scrub!!!!

1/29/20 @ 5:50 PM
SnakeSter
SnakeSter
MEMBER since 7/9/12

There’s a big difference of opinion all the way across the board which is cool. Fillets with tin foil and butter/bacon sounds delicious!!!!! Why did ya go an say dat now?, I ain’t had me supper yet!!!! Lol

1/28/20 @ 3:22 PM
eyesman
eyesman
User since 1/7/02

I normally don’t keep bass, the exception being a deep hooked fish that wouldn’t survive. A few years ago I caught a 21” large mouth that was deep hooked. We were at the cabin on a Forest Cty lake that has a very abundant large mouth population. Filleted it with the bluegills. That night we had a campfire and did corn on the grate over the fire. When there was room I put the fillets in tin foil, added seasoned salt, butter and a slice of bacon and put on the grate. The fire dwindled to a bed of coals and I forgot about it. An hour later I remember the fish and opened the foil pack on a platter. The wife, her sister and mother cleaned it up before I had a try. I did get the bacon though. They really liked it. 

1/28/20 @ 2:04 PM
Fishlovme
Fishlovme
MEMBER since 6/22/01

I was on a small lake up north over the summer.  We caught a lot of bass and kept a few for the grill, both smallmouth and largemouth.  We threw back all the bass over 16 inches.  Even my kids liked it!  I see our fishing season is now open year-round for bass.  Harvest season remains the same.  Does anyone know if this means you can fish large shiners for them (which, I'm sure would accidently catch northern pike, which are still closed march-may) on tipups or jigging poles through the ice after the first weekend in March?

1/28/20 @ 7:16 AM
SnakeSter
SnakeSter
MEMBER since 7/9/12

We’ve also had taste tests with family members who don’t fish. 70% said they preferred the Bass over the gills. I don’t get it? People who don’t think Bass is good fish, probably never ate one??? I don’t understand? Too each his own I suppose. 

1/26/20 @ 10:33 AM
JamesD
JamesD
MEMBER since 2/16/04

I have a problem with the "big fish, small fish" claims of tasting "different". We did a blind taste test of walleye and bass on a Canadian canoe trip. The cook cut the fillets into same sized sticks and fried them in an identical way so they looked the same.  Tasters said they liked the taste of fried bass over the taste of the walleye. Both were great eating. Only the cook knew which samples were which. The bass "sticks" just had more flavor to them than the blander walleye samples.

1/25/20 @ 3:11 PM
Plmlk
Brent Hess
MEMBER since 12/18/07

I treat Bass like any other fish, let the big guys go, and the small ones for the frying pan.

10 inch Gills go back, 7-8” Gills go in the pan. 

14” Crappies go back, 10-12” go in the pan. 

The exception would be that I don’t keep Smallies, but will keep a LM Bass.  

Something about Smallies, they give you everything they have when you’re reeling them in.  Feels good to watch them swim away. 

The Woodlands Resort
(262) 661-3968
1/13/20 @ 12:05 PM
svitreum
svitreum
User since 8/29/06

I fish a small lake near my house about 4 times a year that has a slot of 12-16 inches. I never keep any over 16, but I will keep a limit of unders. This lake is polluted with stunted bass, and bass of that size are directly competing with the pannies. When I fry them up, you can't tell the difference between them and the gills. I might mention that this lake has very clean water. Other than that, once a year at the very end of the smallmouth spawn on another local lake, I will occasionally keep a couple that are just north of 14 inches. These are the smaller males, and this lake has a very healthy smallie population.

I am unabashedly a meat fisherman. I spend the vast majority of my time fishing for pannies, cats, and salmon out on the big lake. I wind up keeping a dozen or so walleyes/saugers each year also, and perhaps 2 pike for pickling. Fish is very good for you, and I'd rather eat what I catch than be part of the larger carbon footprint it takes to bring them from all around the world to me. 

1/12/20 @ 7:50 PM
trouter
trouter
User since 7/3/01

I catch bass when I am river fishing for walleye.  If they are a keeper, I keep them.

DISPLAYING 11 TO 20 OF 28 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.