LOGIN
Lake-Link

Keeping Bass

5/22/19 @ 11:35 AM
ORIGNAL POST
Fishlovme
Fishlovme
MEMBER since 6/22/01

How many of you keep bass, largemouth or smallmouth?

I fish a lake in Southeastern Wisconsin for eating bass that has a slot limit, no fish between 14 and 18 inches may be kept.  This lake has this regulation because you can catch 100 bass in a couple of hours, and out of those 100 bass maybe 1 or 2 would reach the slot.  The limit is 3, and I think a 12 or 13 inch bass is as good as any other freshwater fish!  I've been on lakes that have a 14 inch minimum and kept a 16 inch fish and it tasted like the weeds it was living in!  

Personally I wish there were more lakes in the state with slot limits like 14-18 inch, or 16-20, something like that.  Keep the small ones and let the big ones go!

Which one tastes better, a largemouth or a smallmouth?  In my opinion and based on experience the smallmouth tastes better.  

Also, just so you know, on keeping bass.  I go to that lake in Southeastern Wisconsin once a year, so I'm not keeping a ton of bass out of that lake, or any lake for that matter.  But I do like them and think they taste as good or better than a bluegill or perch.

Here's a great video my friend did of a bass being caught, kept, cleaned and eaten fresh. Delicious!

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 25 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
2/12/20 @ 9:40 AM
Carpio
MEMBER since 11/5/17

Snake.  A crock for sure!  Old timers tales like the saying that you can’t thaw fish on the counter or they will get soft and soggy. Lol    Or that you can’t re- freeze fish, same reason.   I was taught that but proved it wrong.  The same thing with keeping your fish ALIVE in the live well during the summer. They’ll be just fine. Them being dead is another matter. CARPIO 

2/11/20 @ 8:40 AM
Fishlovme
Fishlovme
MEMBER since 6/22/01

Catching bass through the ice and keeping them is when they taste best.  Several years ago I kept a largemouth in the middle of the summer and it tasted like weeds.  Does anyone bleed the fish out?  I do for most fish, haven't tried it with a largemouth yet.

2/5/20 @ 7:46 AM
SnakeSter
SnakeSter
MEMBER since 7/9/12

I have no problem with people keeping or releasing Bass. I think it’s a good equalizer. Everywhere I fish there is abundant Bass. No shortage whatsoever.

2/5/20 @ 7:06 AM
BigMusky12
BigMusky12
User since 12/22/04

Keeping bass needs to come down to common sense, which is not common.   Bass are so plentiful because most are released.   If angling community is naive enough to start keeping them without restraint, population and size structures will be reduced.   

2/4/20 @ 6:21 PM
SnakeSter
SnakeSter
MEMBER since 7/9/12

I don’t understand the size making it taste different? I’ve had big and small just about everything and they taste like they’re supposed to taste like!  Is it preparation or just having the idea put in your head. I’m not disagreeing with anyone, but just never noticed a taste difference because of summer/winter, big /small. 

2/4/20 @ 9:30 AM
redhook
User since 12/25/09

Fried up a 19.5 inch Largemouth last night, great tasting fish. Caught on the backwaters of the Mississippi river where there is no shortage of bass. Onion rings and baked beans as a side. I usually don't keep many in the warmer months but thru the ice they go in the pan.

1/31/20 @ 6:00 PM
icefishingbestfishing
User since 11/27/19

JamesD, I think it depends on the fish and the size. I agree that Walleye usually always taste good, even the big ones. Especially if you're gonna batter and fry them.

I will say this though - I recently pulled a big 36" pike on a tip up that  somehow got really badly hooked in the gills - so I kept him. I usually keep pike around 28".  This guy is definitely the worst tasting pike I've had (maybe it's in my head though...... blind taste test is real smart). 

1/31/20 @ 6:54 AM
SnakeSter
SnakeSter
MEMBER since 7/9/12

Great post Scrub!!!!

1/30/20 @ 11:04 PM
scrub
User since 8/15/06

Bass and gils are in the same family, centrarchids. Hence bass=overgrown gil.....not many people I know that won’t eat gils. Just like Wayne says, ****** figure it out 

1/29/20 @ 4:50 PM
SnakeSter
SnakeSter
MEMBER since 7/9/12

There’s a big difference of opinion all the way across the board which is cool. Fillets with tin foil and butter/bacon sounds delicious!!!!! Why did ya go an say dat now?, I ain’t had me supper yet!!!! Lol

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 25 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.