LAKES
REPORTS
FORUMS
TRAVEL
DEALS
SEARCH
MORE
Bass Fishing

Dock Fishing For Bass! (What's your thoughts on dock fishing??)

10/20/19 @ 8:36 PM
INITIAL POST
Lunker Lover
User since 7/21/19

This is a video of me on my home lake Bass fishing!! Please HELP me reach my goal of 1000 subscribers by 2020!! 

Also: What are everyones thoughts on dock fishing? I know a lot of people who think it is perfectly fine and then others who hate it. I believe that as long as we arent hitting your dock or doing anything wrong it is totally fine!! But maybe that's just me, whats your thought?

Displaying 1 to 15 of 20 posts
9/9/20 @ 12:25 AM
262 Fishing
262 Fishing
User since 8/10/18

Mattw,

Funny you mention talkers.  I just put out a video where the conversation started with the home owner asking if I caught anything, then ended with my catching a bass right from under their dock! 

8/30/20 @ 8:12 PM
mattw
mattw
PRO MEMBER User since 5/6/16

Working docks is great, I usually dont on one of the lakes I fish because couple of the people that live on that lake love to talk to you when you get close to their piers . So if you can do it go for it . 

8/23/20 @ 11:32 PM
262 Fishing
262 Fishing
User since 8/10/18

I love dock fishing, and it's usually my go-to pattern in the summer.  I either flip jigs (incredibly delicate and accurate) or skip plastics (won't hurt a thing).

I've occasionally had an errant skip go onto a dock.  I always do my best to retrieve my lure, both for the couple bucks it would save me and the hole in the foot it would save the owner.  I've never had an issue.  In fact, last week, I was fishing a dock when the owner came out and asked if I caught anything.  Before she could finish her sentence, I set the hook and showed her the bass that had been living under her dock.  Released it back to its home.

I don't own a dock, but if I did, I wouldn't have a problem with people fishing it as long as they were respectful about it.  Stay close to make accurate casts and enjoy!

8/17/20 @ 9:17 PM
Tuffy2
User since 7/7/04

I am most accurate with a 7 1/2’ St Croix medium action bait casting rod. I like to underhand pitch jigs, plastics and creature type baits under and next to any type shore objects. I also use a 7’2” St Croix medium spinning rod for lighter line and lures around docks.

I think a combination of the two make you a much more versatile fisherman.

8/16/20 @ 7:15 AM
RedRiderWannaBe
User since 2/18/20

My question pertains to gear for dock fishing.  In Wisconsin, often the only structure on the lake are weeds and docks.  Dock fishing requires precision casting and often the ability to skip a bait under the dock.

It seems that I gain more accuracy by using a shorter rod with a bait casting reel.     However, the trend seems to be toward longer rods that remind me of a pole vaulter's pole.  

Can anyone recommend a good rod?  I'm thinking a 5-1/2 to 6 foot rod is about right.  The rod needs to be stiff to pull fish out from the docks but with a flexible tip to throw plastic baits accurately.

3/24/20 @ 2:38 PM
Herb2
User since 12/28/18

It would be nice if people would put other structures in. In most lakes if a tree falls it must be taken out. Cannot have that on a 500,000 lot! The docks are only game left to fish. I do leave dock when owner comes out. A long 10' pole lets me jig between dock and boat. Anchor ropes make things more interesting!

Yes dock fishing is great. Spot lock has made it better!

3/23/20 @ 11:51 PM
Prop
Prop
User since 4/9/03

I'm the opposite of below. I've done it, hell I fish all my neighbors docks, and don't mind if someone hits my fishing boat or pontoon. It's a lure it's not going to do any damage. Maybe if you snag the boat covers. I'm one that would also rather have you get your lure off my dock or anywhere near it by any means than just snap your line and let my kids/dog snag its foot/body on it. I've actually told couple guys while sitting on the deck to please go get their lures.

If you are wading you are perfectly legal to cross my dock or anyone's. 

Just don't get upset if I come out fish the opposite side during the bluegill spawn. Had that happen to me where guy in boat got mad. Didn't affect him at all. 

I will admitt that when I see someone fishing my dock and catches a bass I'm hoping they throw it back. I have no right to hope that but...

3/22/20 @ 7:39 PM
hook102
User since 3/21/20

I was always under the impression that the dock   and 3 ft on the to land was not trespassing.  Iv'e taken many hooks out of ropes/chains and cross beams on the pier.  only 1 person made a big deal out of it in 44 years of bass fishing. he called the police and gave the boat id #  got a call an hour later, still fishin and the officer said it wasn't trespassing but not a good idea to do.

3/13/20 @ 7:49 PM
shadling1
User since 1/17/12

Well, if there are fish under them or around them on a given day, I'll fish them. Pretty simple. If the fish are elsewhere, I go there instead. Every lake is different for fishing docks based on the time of year and type of lake. For spring crappies on a lake I fish, I generally like boat lifts much better, but mid-late summer both can produce really well if they are settled on a steep drop into deep water. Bottom line is they can produce well for alot of species throughout the year, that's why people fish them.

3/13/20 @ 12:56 PM
Fishlovme
Fishlovme
PRO MEMBER User since 6/22/01

Too many other good areas to fish, why fish under a dock?  Sure there are fish under that dock, but there's also fish all over the lake!  I've fished off docks but that's different.  When in a boat you have access to the entire lake, why not use it?

3/7/20 @ 7:06 PM
drummer boy
drummer boy
User since 3/14/08

I do not like doing it,but it is sitting on public water though.

3/7/20 @ 3:34 PM
shadling1
User since 1/17/12

Yup, love dock fishing for bass. Though being as spring is nearly here I'm already getting excited about ice out slab crappies off the docks in the shallows. It's almost here.  

3/7/20 @ 1:42 PM
jemstone90
jemstone90
User since 7/7/15

Someone has thousands of dollars invested into that dock your bouncing that $8 lure off of. Each time you hit it there will be a mark of some sort on you lure and on their dock. You can bet they also have over a hundred thousand dollars invested into buying the property the dock connects to. The owner, the owners children and the owners grand children may swim off the dock that may end up with your hooks in their feet should you loose any in the area, which I have and thats when I figured out how inconsiderate it is to skip lures around docks. I haven't even gone into the yacht that may be attached to the dock.

Living on Minnetonka

12/20/19 @ 8:40 PM
spoonminnow
User since 11/10/19

Some homeowners get uptight fishing near their docks especially if a boat is in the slip. Can't blame them and leave if there's a hassle. They don't own the water, but if an angler gets his lure stuck on the dock, he as no right trespassing to get it and can be held accountable if accused of damages. Fishing during the week is less likely to encounter many homeowners who work. Unfortunately tournaments are weekend event. Clubs have to emphasize property owner rights to their members or be held accountable.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 20 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
boat towed by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE