MENU
Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Dock Fishing For Bass! (What's your thoughts on dock fishing??)

10/20/19 @ 8:36 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Lunker Lover
User since 7/21/19

This is a video of me on my home lake Bass fishing!! Please HELP me reach my goal of 1000 subscribers by 2020!! 

Also: What are everyones thoughts on dock fishing? I know a lot of people who think it is perfectly fine and then others who hate it. I believe that as long as we arent hitting your dock or doing anything wrong it is totally fine!! But maybe that's just me, whats your thought?

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 19 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
9/9/20 @ 12:25 AM
262 Fishing
262 Fishing
User since 8/10/18

Mattw,

Funny you mention talkers.  I just put out a video where the conversation started with the home owner asking if I caught anything, then ended with my catching a bass right from under their dock! 

8/30/20 @ 8:12 PM
mattw
mattw
User since 5/6/16

Working docks is great, I usually dont on one of the lakes I fish because couple of the people that live on that lake love to talk to you when you get close to their piers . So if you can do it go for it . 

8/23/20 @ 11:32 PM
262 Fishing
262 Fishing
User since 8/10/18

I love dock fishing, and it's usually my go-to pattern in the summer.  I either flip jigs (incredibly delicate and accurate) or skip plastics (won't hurt a thing).

I've occasionally had an errant skip go onto a dock.  I always do my best to retrieve my lure, both for the couple bucks it would save me and the hole in the foot it would save the owner.  I've never had an issue.  In fact, last week, I was fishing a dock when the owner came out and asked if I caught anything.  Before she could finish her sentence, I set the hook and showed her the bass that had been living under her dock.  Released it back to its home.

I don't own a dock, but if I did, I wouldn't have a problem with people fishing it as long as they were respectful about it.  Stay close to make accurate casts and enjoy!

8/17/20 @ 9:17 PM
Tuffy2
MEMBER since 7/7/04

I am most accurate with a 7 1/2’ St Croix medium action bait casting rod. I like to underhand pitch jigs, plastics and creature type baits under and next to any type shore objects. I also use a 7’2” St Croix medium spinning rod for lighter line and lures around docks.

I think a combination of the two make you a much more versatile fisherman.

8/17/20 @ 3:20 PM
BigMusky12
BigMusky12
User since 12/22/04

I use a 7'2" medium spinning rod for skipping docks.   

8/16/20 @ 7:15 AM
RedRiderWannaBe
User since 2/18/20

My question pertains to gear for dock fishing.  In Wisconsin, often the only structure on the lake are weeds and docks.  Dock fishing requires precision casting and often the ability to skip a bait under the dock.

It seems that I gain more accuracy by using a shorter rod with a bait casting reel.     However, the trend seems to be toward longer rods that remind me of a pole vaulter's pole.  

Can anyone recommend a good rod?  I'm thinking a 5-1/2 to 6 foot rod is about right.  The rod needs to be stiff to pull fish out from the docks but with a flexible tip to throw plastic baits accurately.

3/24/20 @ 3:33 PM
SnakeSter
SnakeSter
MEMBER since 7/9/12

Wisconsin had a program called FishSticks. Don’t know if it’s still current but it wasn’t that long ago. The program was for more fish habitat in the lakes. For example, I could chop a tree into the water, but must chain Trunk of tree to my property. I actually have a great tree to do this with but would go to DNR first, and talk to Lake association to see if everything is still a go. I’m might try this year or next. 

3/24/20 @ 2:38 PM
Herb2
User since 12/28/18

It would be nice if people would put other structures in. In most lakes if a tree falls it must be taken out. Cannot have that on a 500,000 lot! The docks are only game left to fish. I do leave dock when owner comes out. A long 10' pole lets me jig between dock and boat. Anchor ropes make things more interesting!

Yes dock fishing is great. Spot lock has made it better!

3/24/20 @ 8:05 AM
SnakeSter
SnakeSter
MEMBER since 7/9/12

Yea Prop, What I’m worried about is the canvas covers when the lure is snapped back but now suddenly hooked into my fabric! It seems pretty stupid to me to be casting a sharp hook or hooks near my covers. I know people try, but some get a little sloppy. It ends up costing me money to park my boats at my pier!!! Lol 

3/23/20 @ 11:51 PM
Prop
Prop
User since 4/9/03

I'm the opposite of below. I've done it, hell I fish all my neighbors docks, and don't mind if someone hits my fishing boat or pontoon. It's a lure it's not going to do any damage. Maybe if you snag the boat covers. I'm one that would also rather have you get your lure off my dock or anywhere near it by any means than just snap your line and let my kids/dog snag its foot/body on it. I've actually told couple guys while sitting on the deck to please go get their lures.

If you are wading you are perfectly legal to cross my dock or anyone's. 

Just don't get upset if I come out fish the opposite side during the bluegill spawn. Had that happen to me where guy in boat got mad. Didn't affect him at all. 

I will admitt that when I see someone fishing my dock and catches a bass I'm hoping they throw it back. I have no right to hope that but...

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 19 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.