SEARCH
MORE
Bass Fishing

Chatter bait differences

4/3/22 @ 10:49 AM
INITIAL POST
Old bass guy
PRO MEMBER User since 1/16/22

I was looking at chatter baits. I have used a few of the originals. Now they vary from $5 to $20. They look similar. What possibly could cause such a variance in price? Clearly a hook or skirt don’t cost $15. 

Displaying 1 to 7 of 7 posts
6/4/23 @ 6:25 PM
Master_Piker
Master_Piker
User since 12/7/05
I make my own...I had the lead pot and swim jig mold already...ordered a couple different blade sizes and configurations and some silicone skirts and can make a bladed jig for about $1.00 - $1.50 depending on the components used. I have not noticed a difference in catch rates, but when I used to buy Chatterbaits, they were $4-6, but the prices now are getting out of hand. One of the lakes I fish, I can lose 2-3 baits to muskies in one outing...hand tied skirts or not, $15+ is ridiculous, so I make my own. I use all silicone skirts and with a couple drops of super glue, that skirt isn't going anywhere! I also keep spare skirts in my bladed bait box in my boat...if the skirt is shot before I lose the bait, I rip it off and glue on another $0.30 skirt.

Aside from the cost, I like the fact that I can change blade sizes to control where the bait runs in the water column. For example, I can use a 1/4 oz jig head with a larger blade to 'bulge' the bait in shallow water over weeds, or use a 1/2 or 5/8 oz jig with a smaller blade to slow roll deeper weed lines or creek channels. I also picked up some blades that have holes drilled in them, which change the action and depth as well. I like fishing these baits, but will not pay $10-15 for one. I use a 5" Super Fluke or slim profile swimbait as a trailer and prefer this over a spinnerbait, especially early season, as they can be fished slower with tons of vibration.
3/12/23 @ 11:27 PM
PeteBass
User since 11/14/22
I like the Pure Poison but they stopped making them. Picked some up on ebay. Hopefully last the season. 
Displaying 1 to 7 of 7 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish located by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE