SEARCH
MORE
Bass Fishing

Chatter bait differences

4/3/22 @ 10:49 AM
INITIAL POST
Old bass guy
PRO MEMBER User since 1/16/22

I was looking at chatter baits. I have used a few of the originals. Now they vary from $5 to $20. They look similar. What possibly could cause such a variance in price? Clearly a hook or skirt don’t cost $15. 

Displaying 1 to 7 of 7 posts
6/4/23 @ 6:25 PM
Master_Piker
Master_Piker
User since 12/7/05
I make my own...I had the lead pot and swim jig mold already...ordered a couple different blade sizes and configurations and some silicone skirts and can make a bladed jig for about $1.00 - $1.50 depending on the components used. I have not noticed a difference in catch rates, but when I used to buy Chatterbaits, they were $4-6, but the prices now are getting out of hand. One of the lakes I fish, I can lose 2-3 baits to muskies in one outing...hand tied skirts or not, $15+ is ridiculous, so I make my own. I use all silicone skirts and with a couple drops of super glue, that skirt isn't going anywhere! I also keep spare skirts in my bladed bait box in my boat...if the skirt is shot before I lose the bait, I rip it off and glue on another $0.30 skirt.

Aside from the cost, I like the fact that I can change blade sizes to control where the bait runs in the water column. For example, I can use a 1/4 oz jig head with a larger blade to 'bulge' the bait in shallow water over weeds, or use a 1/2 or 5/8 oz jig with a smaller blade to slow roll deeper weed lines or creek channels. I also picked up some blades that have holes drilled in them, which change the action and depth as well. I like fishing these baits, but will not pay $10-15 for one. I use a 5" Super Fluke or slim profile swimbait as a trailer and prefer this over a spinnerbait, especially early season, as they can be fished slower with tons of vibration.
3/12/23 @ 11:27 PM
PeteBass
User since 11/14/22
I like the Pure Poison but they stopped making them. Picked some up on ebay. Hopefully last the season. 
4/14/22 @ 2:05 PM
Big Hitter
Big Hitter
User since 3/11/12

The Jackhammer is worth the extra money. They vibrate even when you slowly reel them in. Another one I like is the Project Weedless which has a weed guard like a Swim Jig. Both are from Z-Man.

4/4/22 @ 7:09 PM
jwog666
jwog666
User since 7/30/10

The more expensive chatter baits typically have hand tied skirts that are much more durable, better hooks, and some tweaks to up the vibration like the evergreen jackhammer. Wired to fish did a video on chatter baits going over the differences.

4/4/22 @ 7:54 AM
Outa line
User since 8/9/21

Z Man Jackhammer. Try one - the vibration is crazy compared to the cheapie ones. Bass killed it - I use a 3” Keitech Easy Shiner trailer. 

4/3/22 @ 3:47 PM
svitreum
svitreum
User since 8/29/06

My all time favorite was the Booyah Boogie Bait. Only have 2 left. They were around $7-$8. Some manufacturers just plain gouge based on a name.

Displaying 1 to 7 of 7 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
solid hook sets by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE