LAKES
REPORTS
FORUMS
TRAVEL
DEALS
SEARCH
MORE
Bass Fishing

Characteristics of a lake that has lots of 9-13 inch bass....

8/6/20 @ 10:48 PM
INITIAL POST
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02
Up north, there is some really good bass fishing...however, there are also plenty of lakes where there are a LOT of bass, but they all seem to run a pretty small size (9-13 inches).

I've found that lakes that have a steady drop off into about 20-30 feet, water that is clear for the first 4 feet or so, but after that- your lure disappears into the abyss, no weeds or noticeable rocks-just some tiny little pad like plants on the edges and under 30 acres-are often full of small bass and some bluegill, but nothing really else. 

What are some characteristics you've noticed in lakes that have a lot of bass-but small? 

Displaying 1 to 9 of 9 posts
9/8/21 @ 3:15 PM
Hunter&Hound
User since 7/24/01

I have a small pond with bass, crappies, suckers and perch.

The bass literally eat themselves out of house and home.  Bass feed a lot.  The best answer I've found is to harvest smaller bass and smaller crappies.

9/4/21 @ 9:04 PM
denesox
denesox
User since 2/1/06

The first characteristic is that people usually jump to the conclusion that the bass are stunted....which is rarely actually the case.   Generally these lakes simply have healthy populations....lakes with super healthy populations always have tons of small fish this size because recruitment is often very high (ie excellent breeding success) and these abundant smaller fish are just the easiest ones to catch.   

The second is that big fish on these types of lakes, rarely utilize the same areas that the smaller fish do....so if you are always catching small ones, keep trying new and different places using a wider variety of baits that can target larger fish...like jigs, big worms, or swimbaits.     Fish deeper...or in heavier cover situations.

The third is related to the second....and that is that in these lakes, often, big fish do a lot of suspending over deeper water much of the year, these fish will always be very difficult to pinpoint and catch.

The rare lakes where populations are stunted will have very little cover and a poor panfish population and minimal baitfish.   Often it can be obvious in a short time  just looking around.

JME

8/14/20 @ 8:35 AM
Fish4Musky
Fish4Musky
User since 6/18/13

There are multiple factors to size structure of any species in a particular body of water. If there is overpopulation they will be stunted. If the predation rate is low (from humans or other natural predators) then it will raise the population will grow to unhealthy levels. Also the forage base needs to be abundant enough to create bigger fish. If they are competing with other species for a food base they will stunt out as well. Water temps,genetics,and other environmental factors also matter.  The Florida comment below is also a little wrong in that they are a different strain of bass. They grow larger because of their genetics mostly. Florida strain bass don’t survive if the water gets to cold. The size of the water system also matters. 

8/10/20 @ 12:10 AM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02

Great point about the northerns. The bass lakes that I find with stunted bass have no northerns that I've encountered.

Here's the thing...when I moved up north I thought some of the best bass lakes would be the ones way out in the woods. Hard to get to and little pressure. 

In my experience, if these lakes have bass (and no pike), the bass are numerous, yet mostly 10-12 inches. So, I agree, some predator fish is probably a really good thing.

Or, harvest. I personally do not harvest any fish, but I see that lakes with light pressure, but some harvest usually are the best. In my experience. 

8/9/20 @ 11:45 PM
Fishlovme
Fishlovme
PRO MEMBER User since 6/22/01

A couple of lakes I fish in the southern part of the state have no size limit or have a 14-18 inch slot, or a 12-16 inch slot that you can't keep them.  All of these lakes have one or two things in common:  very clear water and lots of stunted bluegills in them as well. The lakes are also very weedy.  I love eating bass out of these lakes.  Bass that are 12 to 14 inches are my favorite eating.  I fished a lake up north while on vacation this year that didn't have a size limit.  We kept them between 12 and 14 inches and grilled them.  They were as good as any other fish I had up there, if not better!

8/9/20 @ 7:48 PM
frideyschld
User since 8/16/10

As I understand it bass grow  ( on an average) of 1 inch per year up this way due to the extreme fluctuation  of water  temps (75-80 in summer.. 30's in winter under ice)..look at some of those beasts they catch in FLA  with the  year round water temps there..

I also have to at least consider the reason more and more lakes in the northwoods  are stocked with bass is because of the depletion of the walleyes. This smallie  measured just under 21 "...biggest one I ever caught I believe

8/9/20 @ 11:53 AM
river_chaser
User since 10/3/12

NPike I frequent a lake exactly as you describe.  28 years ago the size limit on bass was 14 or 15 whatever but we caught 20 bass a day and all under the limit right around 13 inch.  This went on for years then the dnr changed the ruleon this lake to no size limit.  Big changes took place.  Someone put some northern pike into the lake and soon we had trophy bass fishing ctching 18-20 inch bass.  Based on that experience I would say you need possible need higherpredation rate

8/9/20 @ 7:02 AM
jumpsteady
jumpsteady
PRO MEMBER User since 12/25/01

How's the Northerns?

If you're casting spinnerbaits,then you have to hook a Pike every once in awhile.

Are they mostly Hammerhandles?

Displaying 1 to 9 of 9 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish located by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE