Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

100% fluorocarbon vs. fluorocarbon coated fishing lines

12/19/14 @ 7:30 PM
ORIGNAL POST
mkjo
User since 8/18/06
I am going to re-line several reels with flouro for next season and I'm trying to decide between flouro coated and 100%. Curious what other bass anglers who have used both think; Pros and Cons of each and is the 100% really worth paying the higher price? Thanks.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 13 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
12/24/14 @ 6:47 AM
AllDayIDreamAboutSmallies
AllDayIDreamAboutSmallies
User since 3/14/06
I agree about the coated lines, don't waste your time and money. As far as lines go, my preference for spinning reels is Seaguar - InvisX. It is much more limp and manageable than any other floro I have tried. I would also recommend trying the braid to floro combo. I tried it but didn't like it. Didn't like the thought of an extra knot or feeling and hearing the knot or swivel going through the guides. I also had to change my hookset as I was breaking some off. Most of my buddies use braid to floro and love it. They say besides added sensitivity it saves on money because you're only replacing your leader. It all comes down to confidence and what you're most comfortable with. Maybe rig up both ways and decide for your self!

12/23/14 @ 1:18 PM
Robbollio
Robbollio
User since 10/17/04
I personally like braid to floro for shaky head and Dropshots. Not because of confidence or experience. Just because of the extreme sensitivity in very deep water. That being said I use vanish for every thing.

12/22/14 @ 9:31 AM
denesox
denesox
User since 2/1/06
"fluoro is too stiff for most spinning applications"

Thanks for the laugh.Smile That was a good one. Big Smile

Using braid and a leader is another alternative, but it costs even more than fluoro, plus now you have an extra knot between you and the fish. Just something to consider. Unlike mono, which breaks down over time and with use and requires frequent changing, fluoro lasts and lasts until you run low on the spool, only then do you need to replace it. I have fished tournaments with fluoro that was years old, with no reduction in the line's performance.

This braid/fluoro leader is an especially good alternative if you use rods that are not on the higher end or if you are not confident or experienced.

12/22/14 @ 8:30 AM
Lunkerhunt85
User since 5/10/14
Use braid with the flouro leader. You save WAY move money plus you get better feeling. This works awesome with spinning gear since flouro is too stiff for most spinning applications.

12/22/14 @ 8:29 AM
Lunkerhunt85
User since 5/10/14
Use braid with the flouro leader. You save WAY move money plus you get better feeling. This works awesome with spinning gear since flouro is too stiff for most spinning applications.

12/21/14 @ 7:38 AM
local fisherman
User since 5/2/05
I think you get what you pay for. I fish tournaments around here so if I lose a fish because of bad line I'd be losing even more money in the end. If you are worried about cost, try buying bigger spools than your traditional 150-200yd spool. I buy my spools by the 1000yd and you save a lot of money in the end. I would experiment first though and find what you really like before making that kind of investment. Try it for yourself though. I have tried berkleys 100% fluorocarbon and I hate it or the same goes for vicious. But other guys love it so experiment.

12/20/14 @ 10:04 PM
ditto
User since 12/6/10
Copolymer is another gimmick used by line manufactures. All mono line is copolymer as it's mafe out of a mix of different nylons, none of them have a "core" like the advertising shows. I still don't believe that there are any truelly florocarbon coated lines. I have spoke with the guy from Berkley who is the one who actually designs the line and he said he's never actually seen one.

12/20/14 @ 9:17 PM
denesox
denesox
User since 2/1/06
The prices don't compare because the products don't compare.

The coated stuff is the gimmick and they try to rope you in with lower pricing.

"oh look how much cheaper, i'll just try this first"

That is the last words of many a bad decision....be warnedSmile

12/20/14 @ 9:11 PM
denesox
denesox
User since 2/1/06
Lots of good fluoro out there that's cheaper than that. Vicious($9-11 for 250y), vanish ($9-14 for 250y), even seaguar red label ($12 for 200y) are much cheaper than the one you listed and are all quality lines...as most 100% fluorocarbon lines are.

If you are putting that coated stuff on one reel, when you find out it sucks you only have one reel to re-line. Put it on all of them and you won't have a comparison and may never realize the disadvantage you put yourself in...and if you do figure that out, well now its gonna get REAL expensive to re-line.

Often its a copolymer line that's coated.

I fish fluoro almost exclusively, and have since the mid 90's...I won't touch that coated stuff...wouldn't use it if it were FREE.

12/19/14 @ 10:17 PM
mkjo
User since 8/18/06
As an example, cabela's website advertises 600 yds of 10 lb Flouro coated P-Line for $16.49. But 100% flouro, 10 lb test and only 250 yards of P-Line is $21.99. Expensive stuff.

If I was only going to spool up 1 reel I would just get the 100% and be done with it. But since I am going to be relining several, this will get rather pricy if I go with all 100%. So I want to get some opinions based on actual experience to figure out if the 100% is just a gimmick or if there is an actual benefit to spending the extra money.

Thanks for the feedback so far.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 13 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.