MORE
ATVs

Warn plow and winch kit

2/14/16 @ 6:29 PM
INITIAL POST
WelderGuy
WelderGuy
User since 12/19/10
Spent the day Saturday installing a plow and winch on my 2006 Yamaha wolverine 450. I tell ya it was quite the project but well worth it in the end. If anybody is shopping around I would definitely recommend a Warn plow and winch kit. Got mine on eBay for just under $600. Now I look forward to more snow!
Displaying 1 to 11 of 11 posts
7/11/17 @ 5:45 PM
pew.hunter
User since 9/18/02

Had a buddy attach a winch strap to the winch. Never had a problem with breaking or getting knotted up like a cable or synthetic rope

7/11/17 @ 2:39 PM
.Long Barrels
User since 12/9/14

I shouldn't even post here because it has no value-add....but I had a plow,  sold it.  I found that i could move more snow quicker and cleaner with my 8HP 2 stage than I could with a plow and ATV.  sure,  it's waaaaay more fun,  but time is time and I got sick of the 2 hours of screwing around with the ATV vs 1 hour with the snowblower.  Plus,  get a year like we had about 4 years ago and I had no place to push anymore snow.

I also had multiple cables break as well,  another reason why I was sick of the BS.  I finished the job with the blower anyway.  Super fun way to put some hours on the ATV and away from the wife,  but when it comes down to it,  it's not that efficient.

Another project,  I just tore off a skid plate in the woods on my Rubicon.  I ordered a new one but aluminum this time.  all the holes needed to be retapped.  talk about a pain in the rear.   

6/29/17 @ 9:33 AM
larryallen
PRO MEMBER User since 12/4/02

I plow a 300 foot driveway up a hill with my Honda ES400.  Even going up hill 4WD without chains works good.  If the snow is very deep and heavy I sometimes need to make the first pass from the top to the bottom to get things started.  I originally had a manual lift blade and last year I installed a Superwinch.  The installation was tedious and a lot of work.  The manual lift was a little faster than the winch but I like being able to control the blade height with the winch.  It was also a struggle lifting the blade with the manual lift.  I use synthetic rope instead of cable and have had no problems.  It also was a pain having to press the handle reverse button while pressing the hand brake when shifting to reverse.  I modified the handle so that no button or brake is required to go from forward to reverse. With these refinements the rig works great.

6/28/17 @ 11:28 PM
Fish-see22
User since 6/21/17

Warn winch may be expensive compared to other brands.  I think it cost more because of its quality and design. Makes it worth the extra price if that's what you get.

4/21/16 @ 1:42 PM
PalmerTenderfoot
PalmerTenderfoot
User since 3/7/16
I run the Warn 3000 with synthetic cable. I love this thing. I added the remote fob as well and no complaints thus far.
2/16/16 @ 5:08 PM
WelderGuy
WelderGuy
User since 12/19/10
Maybe I'll switch it out with some synthetic rope for plow season. Thanks for the input!
2/15/16 @ 7:07 PM
ironwall
ironwall
User since 5/30/02
Yes I use to plow with the 4wheeler for over ten years. Some time I could go 1 dozen snowfalls with out the cable breaking 5 to 6 yard and a full block of sidewalk. would take 6 to 8 hours to plow if we had anything over 4 inches to plow. And there would be times that the cable would break two or three times in the same day. I loved to plow on the four wheeler but in got very cold and now have frost bite in my fingers. I finely got smart and put a plow on the truck about 5 yrs. ago. now I'm warm and can do lots more.
2/15/16 @ 6:31 PM
Prop
Prop
User since 4/9/03
If you use the plow enough the wire will shred and get the cable knotted up.
2/15/16 @ 4:48 PM
WelderGuy
WelderGuy
User since 12/19/10
Why? Do the cables wear out or break?
2/15/16 @ 3:25 PM
Prop
Prop
User since 4/9/03
I hope you got the synthetic rope with the wench? If not you won't be as happy with it in a couple of years. I learned the hard way.
Displaying 1 to 11 of 11 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
ice drilled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE