SEARCH
MORE
ATVs

UTV drive trains?

9/26/20 @ 5:23 PM
INITIAL POST
big mac
User since 2/19/02

I am in the market for possibly buying a UTV. 

My main concern is the drive train options. I'm very leery of any belt drive machines. 

What manufacturers use shaft drives?

Thanks, 

Big Mac 

Displaying 1 to 15 of 22 posts
11/20/20 @ 3:10 PM
the_dude
the_dude
User since 1/10/03

Side bar - Brent mentioned tall and skinny.  Reminded me of one of the funniest things I ever overhead.  Group of people sitting at the bar and I overheard one of the women loudly proclaim:  "It isn't long, but at least it's skinny."  Everyone burst out laughing, including me.

11/6/20 @ 11:04 AM
madforlabs
User since 12/20/12

Ah yes.....assumed the gasket diameters matched.

11/6/20 @ 8:09 AM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess
PRO MEMBER User since 12/18/07

Fltlndr-

Just looked on Frams website, for utility vehicles and ATV’s -  they only offer filters for Honda or Kawasaki. 

MFL-

I completely agree with you on filtration, however, the new filter’s diameter is much smaller than the original, and it won’t cover up all the ports, it definitely won’t work, but it threads on just fine...

Called the dealer again yesterday, and the correct one is on the way. 

11/4/20 @ 8:44 PM
fltlndr
User since 12/25/02

Brent do a search on fram filters.

11/4/20 @ 1:03 PM
tiddies1981
tiddies1981
User since 1/22/15

Had a polaris ranger. Total pos.  Sold that and bought a can am defender back in 2016.  No problems.  Absolutely love the thing.  Reliable and fit/finish far exceeds others in my opinion.  

11/1/20 @ 3:21 PM
madforlabs
User since 12/20/12

Spin-on filters are mass produced and brand labeled by a handful of manufacturers.  Size of the element corresponds to dirt holding capacity (lifespan before replacement) As long as the element fits the spin-on thread and has an equal or better micron rating you're good to go.

OEM filters are usually constructed with cellulose filter media. I always replace them with synthetic media which are greatly more efficient in filtering contaminants.

11/1/20 @ 9:09 AM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess

Exactly OSOK - that is what I thought also. 

Interestingly, the dealer told me that it is quite common for manufacturers to install a filter that may be a bit different than specified in the manual. 

The original filter does not even have a valid Arctic Cat part number. 

If the new filter was the same diameter, I wouldn’t of thought twice about it, however, it was definitely different!

10/31/20 @ 7:26 PM
One shot one kill
User since 8/12/02

Even the part number is different  . Not even close ??????

10/31/20 @ 6:06 PM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess

Racked up 20 hours on the Arctic Cat, so decided to change the oil.

The oil plug was unbelievably tight, I fought with that thing for 20 minutes...

Went to change the oil filter, and it was equally as tight, definitely a PITA! Ended up bending it quite a bit, but eventually was able to get it out. 

When I went to replace the oil filter, the one that I had purchased from the dealer was a completely different filter.  I called the dealer, and they assured me that I had the correct filter. 

Funny thing is, there is absolutely no way that I have the correct filter, as it is a different diameter as compared to the one that I removed.  

Long story short, it is sitting in the garage with no oil, and the dealer is doing a bit of research...

I have attached pictures of the old one versus the new one. One is short and fat, and the other one is tall and skinny.

Definitely want to get everything up to snuff before the snow flies LOL

10/26/20 @ 4:29 PM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess

You’ll absolutely love it! 

Also, to the best of my knowledge Honda is the only manufacturer who makes a shaft drive (as opposed to CVT), which is as good as it gets. 

15,000 is around what the base model costs, and 18,700 for the pioneer 1000 deluxe - plus the accessories that you want (winch, windshield, full doors etc) the deluxe has a true 4wd drive lock which is nice. 

With Covid, and somewhat of a shortage, I’ve seen the pioneer 1000 deluxe go for closer to 20k base at many dealers. 

Sounds like you got a very good deal! Nice job negotiating! 

You’ll be very happy with that machine!  My BIL has the pioneer 1000 deluxe, and it just rocks! 

Under the for what it’s worth category, Ken sports in Kaukauna, has the best prices. But they won’t negotiate a single dime, their price is their price!

I tried to negotiate the pricing on my 2020 800 Arctic Cat prowler pro, and they wouldn’t budge a nickel...  

They did however give 10% off on accessories (plow, winch, and windshield), so I guess that is something lol...

10/25/20 @ 10:26 AM
WelderGuy
WelderGuy
User since 12/19/10

Just bought a 2020 Honda Pioneer 1000-3. Was $15,700 initially, they took off $1,500 to make room for 2021 models and Honda had a $300 dollar rebate which got me down to $14,000-ish. Added roof and windshield then with tax, freight and dealer prep put me just under $16,000. Still a lot of money but I feel like I got a pretty decent deal on it. Can’t wait to pick it up next week! 

10/5/20 @ 10:12 AM
Prop
Prop
User since 4/9/03

Dude mine is a 2018. Got it 2 years ago July.

10/1/20 @ 12:54 PM
Cambridge
User since 3/21/14

Thanks Dude,  One more thing I just thought of.  When you go to insure your UTV check around a bit.  We have State Farm for everything. House, boat, cars, cottage, etc. but they quoted me over $400 per year for the Polaris Ranger. Wound up placing that on a Progressive policy for $88/year, same coverage. The State Farm gal even admitted that they wouldn't be competitive when she sent me the quote.

Never had Progressive so I not sure how they'd be with a claim, just hope to never need it.

10/1/20 @ 9:20 AM
the_dude
the_dude
User since 1/10/03

Yeah, my Yami is the top of the line they offered in 2020.  In 2021 it is like second to the bottom, as they have now come out with a whole new line of 1000cc models.  The RMAX looks tough as all get out.  But for the price tag, I have to regrets.  The 847cc is plenty for me an my family.

10/1/20 @ 6:28 AM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess

Dude,

The Yami wasn’t on my radar, not sure why...

Yamaha makes great machines, pretty much everything they make is very solid, even beyond UTV’s. 

I had Yamaha snowmobiles growing up, those things were indestructible. 

Displaying 1 to 15 of 22 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
percision control by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE