MENU
Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Trickle charger/maintainer for the winter.

2/10/21 @ 10:27 AM
ORIGINAL POST
PimplySwede
USER SINCE 1/6/09

Looking to buy a trickle charger for my ATV.  The winch/plow really draws the battery down, and if we have deep snow to push it gets questionable whether I have enough juice to finish plowing.

Looking for a model that has the little pigtail with ring terminals to make it simple to plug it in between plowings.

Any brands/models recommended?  Any to avoid?

Also, why is it so dang hard to find red ring terminals in stores?  I want to cut the alligator clamps off and put rings on so I can put that pigtail on my cycle.  Red connects to positive - why do stores sell blue and yellow?

DISPLAYING 11 TO 18 OF 18 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS

2/10/21 @ 7:03 PM
river_chaser
USER SINCE 10/3/12

Ive got a Schumacher brand 1.5 amp Model 1562A. The clamps unplug from the cord so i can plug the charger into the ATV battery connection.  I use the same unit to trickle charge boat, tractor and car batteries.

7 years and still good. 

2/10/21 @ 12:34 PM
mendota
MEMBER SINCE 12/19/01

The plastic colors on the lugs are standardized for the wire size.  Red/Pink for #18-#22, Blue for #14 and #16, and Yellow for #10 and #12.

The fuse is for fire safety, so the product gets disconnected from the power source if a fault develops.  The assumption with the alligator clips is that the connection is both temporary and readily disconnected.  I would definitely keep a fuse in-line as it also protects all the wiring downstream as well, as pinched wires / wires pulling out are pretty common occurrences.

2/10/21 @ 12:23 PM
PimplySwede
USER SINCE 1/6/09

That sounds like a great plan.

All the models I've looked at, the ring terminal pigtail has a fuse on it - the clamp pigtail doesn't.  Ideas why?

If I get one, I want to cut the clamps off and put ring terminals on, is the fuse necessary?

2/10/21 @ 12:09 PM
DuckSlayin88
USER SINCE 9/13/11

Exact same one I have. I think I spent maybe $20 on amazon. My atv has a little storage compartment on the back which you can open to access the battery. The connector stays in there so it is not exposed to the elements. Once I pull in my garage, I can pop open the compartment and its right there for easy connection. I cant speak on how long this charger will last , but Im on my second year with no problems.

2/10/21 @ 11:51 AM
PimplySwede
USER SINCE 1/6/09

DS - like this one?

2/10/21 @ 11:42 AM
DuckSlayin88
USER SINCE 9/13/11

PS - I bought a cheap trickle charger (Black and Decker) that has options for Cable Clamps or O Rings. The connector with the O-Rings is only a few inches long so I leave it attached to battery at all time. It allows easy/quick access and connection with the actual charger.

2/10/21 @ 10:56 AM
Brother of the brush
USER SINCE 1/22/12

Colors are for wire size.  Just get some red electrical tape to mark the positive side.

DISPLAYING 11 TO 18 OF 18 POSTS
Advertise here
Precision trolling with a low profile at an affordable price. Loaded with features, the Convector Low Profile Line Counter will keep you in the strike zone! PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: OKUMA FISHING TACKLE - Okuma Convector Low Profile Line Counter Reel
Keep your beverages nice and cood with double-walled vacuum insulation from Grizzly. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: GRIZZLY COOLERS - Grizzly Drinkware
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.