MORE
ATVs

Snow plowing with a UTV

1/3/21 @ 2:37 PM
INITIAL POST
Brent Hess
Brent Hess
PRO MEMBER User since 12/18/07

Question for all you guys who plow with your UTV.

Most of them are belt drive...

My snowmobile is belt drive, and when you put a heavy load on it (like towing another snowmobile), you can actually smell the belt getting hot...

On a snowmobile, you can easily go through a belt per year...

Was curious of how many of you have blown your belt on your UTV when plowing heavy snow.

Pushing heavy snow has to be a heck of a load on a machine.

Use mine this past weekend, and it did a great job, was just curious how often the belts go.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 16 posts
12/4/21 @ 10:44 AM
Fowler2
Fowler2
User since 7/17/09

Nice machine Westfield!

If something happens to me...my wife is heading to the gulf. lol

12/4/21 @ 9:07 AM
westfieldW
westfieldW
User since 10/9/16

The ultimate snow blower machine. I do all my trails and my 600 ft driveway with no problems. The snowblower is 66" you can suck up a lot of snow with that! I bought this so my wife could snowblower safely if something happened to me.

Snow plowing with a UTV photo by westfieldW
11/18/21 @ 2:37 PM
dsinwi
User since 1/24/02

Been plowing since 2010 with a Yam 700 Grizzly. The plow is slightly wider than the machine, I don't recall the actual width of it. I plow my driveway which is 2 cars wide and 40' long. I plow the ground in front of my shop to the street, about twice as much as the drive. I also plow at the cabin occasionally, about 75' to the road. No issues. Still on original belt. I do have ITP tires which are a considerable upgrade over the factory tires on my previous machine.

11/11/21 @ 3:43 PM
lawdog616
lawdog616
PRO MEMBER User since 1/20/04

Will be plowing with my gator this year   Hoping it works as well as I am told it should.  Good to read some of these posts.  

11/7/21 @ 9:41 AM
larryallen
PRO MEMBER User since 12/4/02

I can echo what 44/45 has said. I have a 2001 Honda Foreman with a 48 inch Moose plow.  I plow a 300 foot asphalt driveway up a hill and it works great.  Heavy wet snows are a challenge for all equipment but it gets the job done.  The sides of my driveway are wide enough that I can knock the snowbanks back late in the season if it has been a hard winter.  I always plow in first gear.  I throw down some salt and the black asphalt and sun make the driveway dry in short order.  The Honda is still going strong after 6 years of doing this with no mechanical problems.  It is 4 wheel drive and I don't use chains.

11/3/21 @ 3:39 PM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess

Last year was t the first year for me with a UTV / plow.

Did the resort driveway, parking lot, and in front of the cabins.  It’s a larger area, and had no issues. 

Granted it was the first year, however, never had a snow storm that was too much for the plow. 

I have an 800, and it did a really nice job.  

11/1/21 @ 12:00 PM
44/45
PRO MEMBER User since 3/9/11

I have a 2004 Honda Foreman. I can handle any snow up to 8".  Might not be as fast as a truck, but I can get the job done. The most important thing is to get the snow far enough off of the driveway so you have room for future snowfalls 

Sorry I didn't read the whole post first, but mine is the manual shift type.

11/1/21 @ 9:58 AM
Fowler2
Fowler2
User since 7/17/09

Using an ATV/UTV is not the perfect solution for all. They excel in areas where there is a larger surface area to keep clear. If I personally relied on a snow blower for the task. i would easily spend upwards of 3 hrs to open up the drive. Even after clearing the drives and aprons, still have a bit of shovel time around the buildings and doorways. 

Not a perfect scrape either, even with concrete. Asphalt is at an advantage as it warms up nicely and bakes the rest off.   

11/1/21 @ 6:42 AM
Mr.Seaguar
PRO MEMBER User since 2/5/05

They probably work fine with dry snow but with wet snow it seems they don't have the weight to get down to the road surface and they ride over some of snow. My friend does his driveway with one and it looks like hell all winter. One day he came over and did mine and I had to shovel  for an hour to get it smoothed out. 

10/29/21 @ 6:49 AM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess

Did quite a bit of plowing at the resort last year, really impressed with how much snow a UTV can push around!  Definitely a great investment! 

10/28/21 @ 9:14 AM
Zwiegs
User since 1/10/12

Kind of what I was thinking, that the clutches must be different.  I have done some light plowing with issues with my Ranger.

1/8/21 @ 6:24 AM
Jeremy
User since 6/15/01

I plowed snow with a 2006 Mule 610 for 11 years and never had to replace a belt and rarely used low gear

1/3/21 @ 5:09 PM
madforlabs
User since 12/20/12

I've plowed many years with my Polaris Ranger. Never had a belt issue. ALWAYS plow in low gear however. 

1/3/21 @ 4:25 PM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess

Thanks Fowler!  Appreciate the insight!

1/3/21 @ 3:37 PM
Fowler2
Fowler2
User since 7/17/09

Brent, if your unit has a CVT transmission, i wouldnt expect any belt issues any time soon. 

Ive been pushing snow for decades without any belt issues. Another example is the belt on my Mud Buddy surface drive, expected to last a lifetime. 

I know what your saying regarding snowmobile drive/clutching. Seems to be a whole different can of worms.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 16 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing geared up by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE