SEARCH
MORE
ATVs

out of state registration for atv

1/8/08 @ 3:37 PM
INITIAL POST
flatlander68
User since 1/24/06
I plan on pulling my atv up to wisconsin in a couple of weeks. I reside in Illinois. Is there a sticker or registration I need to obtain to be legal on the ice. thanks

Displaying 1 to 14 of 14 posts
4/24/20 @ 9:46 AM
PimplySwede
User since 1/6/09

From the DNR chat :  "If he has it currently registered in Illinois, he will need to just purchase a Wisconsin trail pass.  He will have two options: 5-day for $20 or annual $35."

4/1/20 @ 9:23 AM
blackwater
User since 5/7/13

Having to buy a trail pass to ride out on the lake to do a little ice fishing is still a bunch of crap.

10/2/08 @ 8:55 PM
eagles69
eagles69
User since 7/11/04
Yes, $35 is crazy. What a jump from last years rates. So much for any out of staters spending money here while ATVing. And that's for one year!

10/2/08 @ 4:06 PM
kingbass
User since 12/21/01
I just called mikes engine in darlington, wi on the cheese county trail. They said that you have to buy the yearly pass now for 35 dollars. You can't get a day or weekend or 15 day pass anymore. What a shaft! My sister and her boyfriend are coming up in 2 weeks to ride the trail for 1 day. I gotta call them and tell em its gonna cost them 70 bucks to ride it. That sure is steep. Oh well. Hope this ended the confusion. Peace, Jeff

10/2/08 @ 3:53 PM
kingbass
User since 12/21/01
this is on wi dnr site.

All-Terrain Vehicle (ATV) Trail Pass Wisconsin law requires those who use Wisconsin ATV trails to display either Wisconsin registration or an ATV trail pass. Funds from this program will be designated for use as trail aids and related costs to enhance all Wisconsin ATV recreation. The trail pass may be purchased over the counter at any license sales location.

The $35.00 non-resident ATV trail use pass is valid from July 1st through June 30th. An ATV trail pass is required to operate an ATV. The trail pass must be permanently affixed by its own adhesive in a highly visible location on the forward half of the ATV. Once affixed, the sticker may not be removed or transferred to another ATV. When used safely and wisely an all terrain vehicle (ATV) can provide a source of fun and family recreation. When used unwisely by an untrained, inexperienced operator, an all-terrain vehicle can be very, very dangerous. With safety in mind, an all-terrain vehicle can be a useful tool for work and a great means of exploring the outdoors.

It is the responsibility of all ATV operators to make the sport a safe one. Take an ATV Safety Course.

10/2/08 @ 3:51 PM
kingbass
User since 12/21/01
This is on the tricountytrails.com website about trail pass fees.

Illinois and Michigan Non-residents without their own state ATV registration requirements may register their ATVs in Wisconsin in order to ride the Cheese Country Trail and other public areas and trails in the state. This is a 2-year DNR registration for $30 that can be obtained at an establishment offering ATV registrations (see locations above), OR these non-residents may purchase a 1-year DNR pass for $18. The 1-year pass can be obtained from any establishment that sells hunting and fishing licenses (ex: any County Clerk's office, Wal-Mart, Martin's Sporting Goods in Monroe, Farm and Fleet in Monroe). The nonresident trail pass must be displayed on the forward half of the ATV.

10/1/08 @ 9:15 PM
eagles69
eagles69
User since 7/11/04
I think 62handler is incorrect saying it is $18 for a trail pass. I believe it jumped to $38 this year.I'm pretty sure that is correct. Pretty hefty price tag for one year if you ask me. Doesn't Wisconsin want any out of staters spending money in their state? A family of just three to come riding for one day will cost you over $100. Rediculous. I now see that post was in January when it was $18 for a trail pass.
9/29/08 @ 8:41 PM
kingbass
User since 12/21/01
you don't need to do anything to your boat to fish wi. As long as you are registered in IL, your fine.

9/29/08 @ 6:02 PM
weezy
User since 2/1/07
My boat has Illinois registration. What do I have to do to it to fish in Wisconsin? Thanks.

1/27/08 @ 5:59 AM
poptop
User since 10/1/03
if your not close to a wi dnr office just call and they will mail you the form. once the machine is registered you can renew on the website. you just cant get first time on the website.

1/25/08 @ 9:49 PM
jigger
jigger
User since 6/18/01
You got good info here. I have mine titled in ILand registered in Wisconsin. Even though I keep itin IL.....I had to go to a DNR office to do this, as over the internet they don't accept it.. Hope they never do this to the boats....

1/20/08 @ 10:21 PM
62handler
User since 12/6/07
yes you do. WI does not recognise IL or MI registration (i think because they dont have a registraton number assigned to your vin) so you if you plan on being here less than 15 days you need a trail pass $18, over 15 days in one year you must register it in WI $30 good for two years go to www.wildlifelicense.com/wi/start.php for more info

trail passes available where ever you purchase your WI fishing license. dont know where you get registration, i've always done it at the dealer. your local dealer might be able to get the right paperwork for you. i just got my stickers on friday, bought my quad just after thanksgiving, so dont forget to bring your paperwork with untill you get the stickers

i would go with the registration if you were planning on making multiple trips, i think that the trail pass is only good for 15 days after you buy it so if you come up twice in two years its worth it.

good luck fishing

1/8/08 @ 3:42 PM
stank
User since 12/30/05
Absolutely.

Displaying 1 to 14 of 14 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing fueled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE