Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

New Wi ATV Law

12/20/20 @ 2:51 PM
ORIGINAL POST
crappiesnatcher
USER SINCE 2/13/14

What are folks doing to get your family out on the ice since you cannot ride double on ATV’s anymore?  Can you have passengers in a sled or trailer?

DISPLAYING 31 TO 40 OF 42 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS

12/22/20 @ 8:39 PM
Aluma1
USER SINCE 4/12/03

I bought a two up Can Am outlander years ago because it is safer. Plus legal as every one up atv I have seen had warning stickers. That said designed For one person only. Frozen lakes are public. I checked that out to see if I needed to buy the registration sticker. You do if you operate on public lakes. So this law would apply to lakes, public roads, and trails. Rear passingers  have been hurt flying off the back of sIngle atvs with no back rests. 

12/22/20 @ 5:42 PM
jitterbug1962
USER SINCE 12/14/14

So when your stuck in the snow and you need a little weight on the front or back to get out they can give you a ticket? or when the kids are screwing around (not saying they should but kids will be kids) pulling each other around and they jump on the back for some reason. Just saying there will be cases that hopefully they use flexible judgement. 

12/22/20 @ 2:49 PM
PimplySwede
USER SINCE 1/6/09

The new law stinks for sure, but I don't see any way it can be subject to judgment.

"....now has been applied to all areas......."  That means public/private land, your back yard, frozen lakes, the grocery store, etc.....

".... ATV operators cannot have a passenger riding in or on any part of an ATV that is not designed or intended to be used by passengers."  If you do not know whether or not your ATV was designed as a 2-up, you are pretending ignorance.

So yes, the law sucks, but in no way is it ambiguous.

Has anyone seen any publication of crash statistics that shows a direct proportion of increased crashes of ATVs based on carrying a passenger?

12/21/20 @ 10:13 PM
no-luck
USER SINCE 12/14/12

From WI DNR Website, release concerning ATV Law Changes:

ATV Passenger Rules Previously only on the roadway were passengers restricted only to those ATVs that were designed and intended for passengers.  Now that requirement has been extended to all other areas.  ATV opera-tors cannot have a passenger riding in or on any part of an ATV that is not designed or intended to be used by passengers. Aftermarket seating does not comply with the new law chang

12/21/20 @ 1:19 PM
SnoPro800
SnoPro800
USER SINCE 1/12/16

I think there's a loop hole there. No 2 up on trails. The water isn't a trail. I'd send it. Or pull them in a sled or on a trailer (we've done that in the past). That completely negates the 2 up law.

I know you'll see people out there riding 2 up on the lakes.

12/21/20 @ 11:15 AM
jitterbug1962
USER SINCE 12/14/14

Went into effect 3/4/2020

ATV Passenger Rules Previously only on the roadway were passengers restricted only to those ATVs that were designed and intended for passengers. Now that requirement has been extended to all other areas. ATV operators cannot have a passenger riding in or on any part of an ATV that is not designed or intended to be used by passengers. Aftermarket seating does not comply with the new law change. 

More judgement rules, that's what we need.

12/21/20 @ 10:51 AM
troutguy
USER SINCE 12/18/08

the law is for when riding on trails not frozen lake...so if you where to get a ticket easly droped at court date

12/20/20 @ 6:34 PM
big mac
MEMBER SINCE 2/19/02

Actually,  u believe the law has been in affect for a while. 

But, as stated before,  read & understand the REGULATIONS!

Big Mac 

12/20/20 @ 6:33 PM
waltereye sr.
USER SINCE 6/25/01

Ignoring it, as Jwog is. Wife and I were out today on lake.

12/20/20 @ 5:55 PM
jwog666
jwog666
USER SINCE 7/30/10

I'll be taking my chances. It was legal when I bought my machine, and unless the dnr wants to buy me a new one, ill do as I did before. 

DISPLAYING 31 TO 40 OF 42 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.