Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

New Wi ATV Law

12/20/20 @ 2:51 PM
ORIGINAL POST
crappiesnatcher
USER SINCE 2/13/14

What are folks doing to get your family out on the ice since you cannot ride double on ATV’s anymore?  Can you have passengers in a sled or trailer?

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 42 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS

7/25/21 @ 8:10 AM
Leechster
Leechster
USER SINCE 1/22/21

I did the same thing as you Dude. Just didn’t want the hassle if wife was riding on back of ATV which had plenty of space left on seat and I put foot pegs on for her feet. This new law really tee’d me off so I ended up getting UTV. Now, what changes will they be proposing for UTV’s? Lol

7/24/21 @ 6:06 PM
Winchester30
USER SINCE 10/20/12

Manufacturers produce products to different markets: both entry level and premium. 

Your example is not planned obsolescence. 

7/23/21 @ 11:03 AM
Prop
Prop
USER SINCE 4/9/03

I think it has more to do with more road ATV trails opening up across the state. More exposure equals more laws. I don't know this but maybe some clubs said this would be ok compromise to help get the ok to open their townships?  Which I'm totally ok with.

These companies aren't having a problem selling UTV'S. I don't see them needing to push for laws like this. Least not in our state. You have to wait months to get a new one. Least in the areas where there are trails. 

7/23/21 @ 10:44 AM
the_dude
the_dude
USER SINCE 1/10/03

The law was part of several changes proposed by the Wisconsin ATV Assoc. (WATVA)

From their website:

After so many meetings too numerous to count, our WATVA leadership team has brought forward numerous registration program updates, corrections, and changes that were asked of us by many different program partners. 

It would be interested which "program partners" requested the passenger law change?

7/23/21 @ 10:35 AM
the_dude
the_dude
USER SINCE 1/10/03

Not sure why the UTV manufacturers would lobby for a change in the law when the same manufacturers also sell ATVs?

My example is exactly the reason.  I already owned a very nice ATV and had no need to replace it with an expensive UTV.  In the manufacturing world it's called "planned obsolescence" and it is far from barstool.  And suggesting large manufacturers lobby for law changes that could vastly effect their bottom line isn't that far fetched either.  It's far more logical than the DNR was pushing for it so they could increase citation revenue.  They don't have the resources to even enforce it!

7/23/21 @ 8:47 AM
GreenSand
USER SINCE 1/4/08

i think the law is a knee jerk reaction to the deaths of toddlers and infants riding on grandpa or dad's lap from tipping over the atv

7/22/21 @ 9:58 AM
Prop
Prop
USER SINCE 4/9/03

I don't know dude that sounds like a barstool theory like the insurance industry pushes deer quota. 

7/17/21 @ 9:58 PM
Winchester30
USER SINCE 10/20/12

Not sure why the UTV manufacturers would lobby for a change in the law when the same manufacturers also sell ATVs?

7/15/21 @ 10:20 AM
the_dude
the_dude
USER SINCE 1/10/03

These rules serve one purpose, to generate revenue for the dnr. 

No, these rules are not to generate revenue for the dnr.  They are to generate revenue for the major manufactures of UTV's.  You don't think they were heavily lobbying for the passage of this law?  I wonder how many people did exactly what I did:  sell a $5K four wheeler to buy a 20K UTV?  

7/7/21 @ 8:03 PM
Quackshot
Quackshot
USER SINCE 1/16/11

It's a simple matter of personal responsibility as it relates to you and your family. There are always those idiots that get in trouble so once again Big Brother Government is trying to cheat Darwin.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 42 POSTS
Advertise here
Brand new for 2021, these technique-specific bass rods now feature advanced SCIII+ carbon blank and St. Croix's proprietary IPC®, FRS, TET technology for stunning performance at an unbelievable value. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: ST. CROIX RODS - Victory Spinning Rods
Navigloo has become a benchmark product for the winter protection of watercrafts. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: NAVIGLOO - Navigloo Fishing Boat Covers
With MEGA 360 Imaging, we didn’t reinvent the wheel. We redefined it, bringing the unmatched coverage of our 360 Imaging technology into the megahertz range for next-level detail. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - Humminbird MEGA 360 Imaging
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.