SEARCH
MORE
ATVs

Is it legal for an ATV to pass a truck?

10/19/21 @ 12:09 PM
INITIAL POST
Hunter&Hound
User since 7/24/01

So, this seems to be happening to me quite a bit.  UTV/ATV passing me on gravel roads.  

I know they don't follow speed limits, but it's freaking dangerous when they fly up behind me and decide to pass.

Displaying 1 to 13 of 13 posts
5/23/22 @ 6:56 PM
buckhound
buckhound
User since 4/18/06

I'm just throwing this out there, a couple posts back mention that the drivers of trucks wouldnt be responsible if they had an accident with an ATV that passed them. In Wis. at least ATV operators aren't required to carry any liability insurance. The other party may be responsible for an accident but you'd probably still pay for damages.  I'm not an ATV basher, I have one.

10/22/21 @ 7:32 AM
Hunter&Hound
User since 7/24/01

Passing my truck camper on a narrow, gravel road is dangerous.  A normal vehicle wouldn't have space...or reason to pass.

I guess I shouldn't worry about.  It wouldn't be my responsibility if something went wrong. 

But, it's Friday, so there's going to be an Increase in the stupid factor today...and even more stupid tomorrow. 

10/22/21 @ 6:35 AM
Bemidji-Bergquist
Bemidji-Bergquist
User since 3/23/20

The way laws are going atv/utv will be on more and more roads as it's already happening. I like driving my atv responsibly but if your passing a vehicle doing the speed limit is just stupid but As long as it's legal there's nothing you can really do

10/21/21 @ 8:52 PM
jwog666
jwog666
User since 7/30/10

How is passing with a utv more dangerous than passing with a car/truck?

10/20/21 @ 3:54 PM
Wally Pike
User since 3/16/21

Obey the rules of the road as you are driving your vehicle, that's all you can do.

10/20/21 @ 10:44 AM
Hunter&Hound
User since 7/24/01

I know the paved roads are posted at 35mph for ATV's in this area.

But, these gravel side roads aren't marked.  Doesn't matter, the UTV's go way faster than trucks do...especially me w/ the truck camper.

It just seems unsafe, but I don't see how I'd be responsible if anything happens when they pass me.  

10/20/21 @ 10:28 AM
Prop
Prop
User since 4/9/03

Some county's (least one I know for sure) you can go the vehicle posted speed limit (55,45 whatever) unless otherwise marked. So I would say if not speeding you can pass.

10/20/21 @ 7:20 AM
Duke M
User since 1/12/09

Wisconsin speed limit I have seen posted for ATV/UTV is 35 mph. Of course nobody seems to enforce hardly anything anymore so......

10/19/21 @ 10:33 PM
One shot one kill
User since 8/12/02

Is the road a designated ATV road?  Really have to ask local law enforcement about it .

10/19/21 @ 5:04 PM
Hunter&Hound
User since 7/24/01

I don't recall ever seeing a sign on these roads.  This is the boonies.

I have a truck camper in my F250, so I can't go too fast on poor roads. 

10/19/21 @ 4:13 PM
Snake1
Snake1
PRO MEMBER User since 1/22/21

Are you going slower than speed limit? Would make a difference. If you are, then they could go ahead and pass you. You didn’t mention your speed.

10/19/21 @ 1:16 PM
Fowler2
Fowler2
User since 7/17/09

My understanding is all roadway "routes" are to follow posted speed limits. Next time it happens grab the license plate # posted on the rear of machine and call the 1-800 DNR #.  Mr.  Greenjeans should take it from there.

Displaying 1 to 13 of 13 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish located by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE