MORE
ATVs

Battery tender/charger

9/8/23 @ 4:51 PM
INITIAL POST
eyesman
eyesman
User since 1/7/02

I have a Bombardier Outlander 400 that I  want to add a battery tender/charger to. The battery location is such that you can’t use alligator clips to put a regular charger on. It is an ordeal to even remove it. I’ve looked at a few tenders and some come with a wire that has eyelets to attach to the battery, a fuse and quick connect plug to attach to the tender unit. I can zip tie that lead and make it easily accessible for use. Any brands that I should try or brands to avoid. Most all I’ve seen are fully automatic and can be left on for extended periods of time. 

Battery tender/charger photo by eyesman
Displaying 1 to 11 of 11 posts
9/24/23 @ 5:04 AM
Sylvain Guy
PRO MEMBER User since 7/6/01
Second the battery tender junior
9/17/23 @ 7:31 PM
EYE_SKI
EYE_SKI
User since 3/26/19
Battery Tender Jr.   easy peasy!        $39.99 fleet farm
9/12/23 @ 6:37 PM
eyesman
eyesman
User since 1/7/02
Ordered a Noco Genius 1 amp maintainer/charger. Should have it in a few days and installed shortly thereafter. 
9/10/23 @ 9:32 AM
Mendota Jim
User since 7/1/02
To be clear, an AGM battery is a SLA or sealed lead acid battery.

Quote:
AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) refers to a specific type of SLA/VRLA where the electrolyte is absorbed into separators between the plates consisting of sponge like fine glass fiber mats. SLA batteries are divided up into specific subsets of batteries.

I've been an ATV mechanic since the early eighties so if you have a dependable modern battery charger, you can leave it attached 24/7 365 but there isn't any real benefit compared to periodic charging.  Batteries by nature are design to store electrical energy.
9/10/23 @ 7:29 AM
eyesman
eyesman
User since 1/7/02
The battery I have in the ATV is a Yuasa brand AGM. It is a match for the factory original which lasted from 2004-2018. To remove and replace the battery is a difficult task as you need to tip and roll it on its end then side. A wet cell battery would likely leak during that process as while it is in the non upright position you have to unhook or hook up the positive wire. 
9/10/23 @ 5:59 AM
44/45
PRO MEMBER User since 3/9/11
I use trickle chargers with the pig tail connections. I have them on my ATVs and riding lawnmower. No alligator clips to deal with. Get the ones with a rubber cap cover for disconnect to prevent any shorts while using. You will be amazed how ATV motors will start right up compared to a partially charged battery because at start up most juice goes to the starter robbing the ignition of needed energy to start. Picture does not show the rubber protection caps. I have 3 different types and all work good. I do recommend finding the ones with at least a 8' cord.
Battery tender/charger photo by 44/45
9/9/23 @ 6:29 PM
Mendota Jim
User since 7/1/02
Assuming you have a lead acid battery, my recommendation is removing the charger after occasional overnight use.  I've seen some batteries overcharged and ruined so trusting the low amperage charger circuitry for continuous use never needs to be tested.  This is always sufficient for periods of storage.
9/9/23 @ 8:00 AM
fishchef
User since 11/17/09
Noco chargers are solid and reliable as charger, maintainer and desulfator.  Most chargers come with the wire clips or wire loop terminals that can be swapped out by plugging into the charger:

https://no.co/products/charging   
9/8/23 @ 10:01 PM
budman1987
User since 1/19/03
Forgot to attach
Battery tender/charger photo by budman1987
9/8/23 @ 10:00 PM
budman1987
User since 1/19/03
This is what I use with the eyelets permanently attached to battery then just quick connect... mine is hooked up year round when not in use
Displaying 1 to 11 of 11 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish located by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE