MORE
ATVs

ATV for Ice Fishing - Large Fisherman

1/29/19 @ 1:56 PM
INITIAL POST
RainbowRunner
RainbowRunner
User since 5/31/02

Twenty-three more months until retirement.

I have a home in northern Wisconsin that will soon be my year-round residence. I live about one-quarter mile from a lake and maybe one-half mile from where I intend to ice fish. I don't intend to have an ice shanty.

I'm interested in buying an ATV (old or new) for ice fishing. For many, many years I used to walk (pulling a toboggan) but that was 30 years ago and I'm not a young man anymore. Besides, I think I would fish more often if ice fishing wasn't such an ordeal.

I've never operated an ATV (or a snowmobile, for that matter) in my life. I have numerous cars and trucks and can drive a manual transmission no problem so I don't think I'm a total dunce with a motor vehicle. I simply have no idea what kind of ATV to get.

I'm a somewhat LARGE fellow (6'3", 300#) so I'm thinking I need a somewhat POWERFUL ATV. Is this a reasonable assumption? I'm thinking a 4x4 (with rear chains, from what I read) would be preferred for ice fishing.

I've seen numerous "side-by-sides" and that is NOT what I would prefer, since I probably wouldn't fit on one side and have no projected passenger for the other side (maybe a dog). Are there many decent used conventional 4x4 ATVs around these days, replaced by side-by-sides?

Any advice appreciated.

RR

Displaying 61 to 66 of 66 posts
1/30/19 @ 9:25 AM
RainbowRunner
RainbowRunner
User since 5/31/02

HEY.....I'm kind of liking the Ski-Doo Skandic and Expedition sleds, particularly with the four stroke engines. I've never understood the appeal of riding in a group of snowmobiles or ATVs in a cloud of two-stroke exhaust.

I was sort of thinking ATV rather than snowmobile but the snowmobile does make a lot of sense. I don't think I'd need the ATV for hunting since most of the National Forest (at least the portions that I hunt) are off-limits to motorized vehicles, for the most part, and I already have an extremely capable Jeep CJ7.

Hmmmm......ATV or snowmobile. I'm really digging that green / black four stroke Expedition. What a handsome machine.

Thanks for the come-back. 

PS: I realize I could use the CJ for ice fishing but I'm SCARED to drive it on the ice.

1/29/19 @ 10:37 PM
river_chaser
User since 10/3/12

2 guys I fish with are pushing 300# (father and son) and live in the Manitowish area.  They both use Polaris with no special set up.  One polaris is a 750cc the other 1000cc 4x4 no chains. They do fish a fair amount, though I wouldnt consider them so hardcore that they frequent lakes with 12 inches of slush or 3 feet of snow.  Just saying-you dont need anything too out of the ordinary to have access. yeah 4x4 would be highly desireable. Chains wouldnt hurt.

1/29/19 @ 7:43 PM
Hunter&Hound
User since 7/24/01

Get a snowmachine....something like a Skandic or Expedition.

1/29/19 @ 4:40 PM
Fish Hound
User since 1/29/02

If your going to be in northern WI traveling by yourself get an ATV with track kit. The snow and slush can be a problem up there mid to late winter and tracks will help with that. 

Displaying 61 to 66 of 66 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish seduced by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE