SEARCH
MORE
ATVs

2004 Yamaha Kodiak 450

3/23/23 @ 11:17 AM
INITIAL POST
Seymour17
User since 3/31/21

I have a 2004 Kodiak, to be honest I didn't even know it had rear differential lock. The switch is covered up next to 4-wheel drive. Somehow the button was pushed to turn it on and now I can't get it to turn off. It makes the noise like it's working but it does not go off. Anyone have any ideas? I cannot find anything on google or You Tube. Thanks in advance. 

Displaying 1 to 5 of 5 posts
4/28/23 @ 9:42 PM
budman1987
User since 1/19/03
Anyone have a machine of this caliber for sale? Looking to get my son a new machine he's outgrown his 110..
Thank u
3/25/23 @ 12:04 AM
Master_Piker
Master_Piker
User since 12/7/05
Yes, those switches can be a pain too. I figured if you were getting noise, but not disengaging, that the switch was fine. I have a Honda Rancher myself, which is full-time 4x4. About as simple as an ATV can get, which is what I wanted. I use mine for ice fishing, deer hunting, cutting firewood and property maintenance. It is an invaluable tool to have for sure!
2004 Yamaha Kodiak 450 photo by Master_Piker
3/24/23 @ 7:03 AM
Seymour17
User since 3/31/21
Thanks MP for the tip. I took the cover off the switch last night and got it to dis-engage. I'll look into the servo. It is a great machine, I use it for everything, hunting, plowing, fishing, spreading horse manure. 
3/23/23 @ 7:34 PM
Master_Piker
Master_Piker
User since 12/7/05
I believe there is a small servo motor that engages and disengages the diff lock on those...if it is making noise, you can probably assume that the switch is fine and my guess is that motor is either seized from water infiltration or just not being used. You will probably have to pull that servo motor and either clean and/or lube it. If you pull it and flip your diff lock switch and it does not move at all, just replace it. They are about $100, probably even cheaper if you can find an aftermarket one. Good luck!

Edit to Add: If it is hanging up so bad that it won't engage and disengage, then I would personally replace it. Cleaning and/or lubing it would buy you some time (like if you were on a trip and needed to get by for a few rides), but the long-term fix is more than likely going to be replacing the motor. A buddy of mine has that same machine. It has been bulletproof aside from the usual maintenance and tires. Hang onto that machine. It is a good one.
Displaying 1 to 5 of 5 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
solid hook sets by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE