MORE
Archery

Which Broadhead and Why?

10/29/19 @ 10:35 AM
INITIAL POST
the_dude
the_dude
User since 1/10/03

This is going to be a long post, so if you aren't interested in a broadhead discussion, I suggest backing out now...

Welder Guy brought this up on the "hub blind" thread and I'd like to have a reasonable discussion about broadheads.  I know this topic has been completely beat to death, but I'd like to think as time has moved on, we continue to learn and I think it is worth discussing again.  

I've been bowhunting since 2006.  I did a ton of research then (I research everything I do to no end = blessing and curse).  I settled on Montec G5 broadheads.  I wanted a sturdy cut-on-contact fixed blade.  What drew me to the G5 is that they make a "preseason" version of their heads, which is just a dull version of the broadhead for practice.  I practice almost exclusively with the preseasons.

My results have been stellar.  Believe it or not, I've never clean missed a deer (or the 1 fox I shot).  I've only lost one deer so far in my bowhunting career, a doe in 2012.  She went down in sight.  I waited 30 minutes.  When I got to her, she popped up and took off.  It was user error, I hit her far back.  Hours of tracking later that night and the next morning came up empty.

Aside from that one deer, I have seen all but one of the deer I've shot go down.  And the one I didn't see, I heard crash and walked right to him without any tracking.

Because of my results, I've became a massive believer in cut-on-contact, fixed blade broadheads.  I cannot see a reason why NOT to use them.  The biggest reason is simple:  the deer do not react like you just hit them in the side with a baseball bat, causing them to run like crazy!  Three of the last four deer I've shot jumped, then WALKED 20 - 25 yards away from the shot and tipped over.  All three were double lung shots.  The one that ran was a heart shot, and running proved futile. 

Over the years, I've read HUNDREDS of threads about expandables.  Deployment issues, flight issues because one blade prematurely opened, deflection on bone issues, etc., etc.  Also, when you hit a deer with an expandable, they know it, and they are going to run as far and as fast as they can.  Expandables in my mind have 1 benefit:  they do leave impressive blood trails.  The issue I have is you will typically need the blood trail, because that deer is going to make it as far as it can.  I reject the concept that expandables fly the same as field tips as being an advantage.  Out of a properly tuned bow, a good fixed blade will also fly the same as field tips.  At least that's what I've been told!  I don't practice with field tips!

So what do you use and why?

Displaying 76 to 90 of 90 posts
10/29/19 @ 2:49 PM
Bowhunting Guy
User since 5/22/18

I started Bowhunting in 2002, and began with 100 grain Thunderheads. Having learned entirely on my own with no one to show me the ropes, this was a trial and error period. I managed to kill deer with them, although I felt like they flew like a paper air plane. 

A few years later, I got a slightly better bow and switched to 125 grain 3 blade Muzzie’s. They were a tough broad head and I shot a lot of deer with them. I took a brief hiatus to shoot the 4 bladed version, and they flew terribly. Back to the 3 blade. 

I’ve been using Rage for quite a few years now, and in my experience believe they fly the truest, and therefore I have the most confidence in them. I did have one blade open prematurely which cost me an opportunity, but for the most part have been issue free.

Has anyone ever shot the Toxic broadheads? I have a buddy who swore by them (I think the concept was very good), and I briefly shot them. They flew and sounded like a whiffle ball. Again, back to Rage after that. 

10/29/19 @ 1:10 PM
badgerstatehunter
User since 2/6/06

As far as deer walking off vs. running, fixed heads are more likely due to less diameter, but it isn't a sure thing.  The shortest blood trail on a non-spined deer I ever had was 15 yards and that was with a Magnus stinger.  Clean pass throw behind both shoulders through both lungs and she hobbled 15 yards and died.  Didn't even seem to know what happened.  Real big doe too.  Saying that, I've also had deer hit with same head run 100 yards if not a little more with fatal hits.  I'd say my average total distance between fixed and mechanical is pretty close, and if you take that 15 yard trail out of the equation they've been slightly less with mechanicals over the large sample.  With that being said there is not much difference with me other than I like the blood trails from the hypo.  

10/29/19 @ 1:09 PM
7thson
User since 6/4/06

100 grain G5 Montecs . Fly great do a dynamite job when shot placement is correct . Shot deer , moose (sometimes with the same broadhead resharpened ) , foxes coyotes etc. My 2 Cnts

10/29/19 @ 1:04 PM
kona77
User since 6/20/13

Interesting comments and perspectives.. I have been bow hunting now for over 40 years and shot numerous deer with fixed blades and the heavier aluminum arrows in the 80's/90's. Back in the day Rocky fixed blades were my favorite. I do find the comment about deer walking away from a fixed blade hit interesting. I do not recall that ever happening to me.

I have been shooting expandables now for the last 12-15 years and have also settled on Rage. I agree that one downside is less penetration (on some shots) and hitting a shoulder would be an issue (happened once to me).. I am very selective on my shots and I do not believe I have ever taken a shot over 25 yds. I am not knocking anyone who does and I practice out to 50 yds.  Like others have stated the most important thing is making a good lung (or heart) shot so it does not matter what arrow/head you are shooting. Have a couple of buddies who shoot the Montecs and have been happy. 

Not to get off topic but I have considered going back to heavier arrows (aluminum?) to see if that improves the penetration issue with Rage.. Anyone have any experience.. I shoot a 65lb/29" draw Hoyt..

10/29/19 @ 1:00 PM
badgerstatehunter
User since 2/6/06
I shoot rage hypodermics and do love them.  I'm not a fan of their standard heads with aluminum ferrels.  I have shot thunderheads, magnus stingers, and hypodermics and killed deer with all of them.  I shoot hypodermics because i get the benefit of a mechanical with better penetration than most expandables.  I also think they fly the best of all the broadheads I've shot.  I haven't had a deer run more then 75 yards with them and always hear them crash and have great blood trails.  Shot my last three bucks with them.  All one shot kills with quick recoveries. 

I will say many people use mechanicals with the wrong setups.  Low poundage, old bows, light arrows, etc.  Mechanicals are great but if you don't have proper setup use a fixed.  A huge entry hole is only good if you have good penetration. My wife uses magnus stingers because she has a light draw and short draw length.  When i used them in my 60# bow they seemed to barely slow down on deer.  

10/29/19 @ 12:42 PM
the_dude
the_dude
User since 1/10/03

Makes perfect sense FD.  Confidence is the exact reason I shoot Montecs.  I practice exclusively with the preseason heads.  I know exactly where I'm going to hit.  Luckily, I'm really good at keeping my cool during the shot process on a deer, and I only take very high % shots.  I have friends that once they draw back, an arrow is flying.  I've drawn and let down more times than I can remember because I couldn't get the shot I wanted.  And that has been on bucks that would be my biggest deer, easily.  I don't have a problem letting down and wondering, rather than flinging and hoping.

I will say, I have never had an issue with Montecs throwing a random "flyer."  And I've been shooting them for 13 years.

10/29/19 @ 12:07 PM
FullDraw05
User since 10/10/17

All great points. I'd like to add - when i really sit down and think about the WHY i use and feel most comfortable with Rage / expandables in general. I have a tuned bow and upkeep maintenance to ensure that each year. But when looking at coming down to the shot, I have more faith in the expandable than I do the fixed blade because of flight. The montecs i would have an errant shot (3-5") every so often, when my form was exactly the same as the shot prior, no pulling or flinching. But it happened often enough that it wasn't coincidence. I will say that the montecs were by far my favorite fixed blade I used in terms of accuracy. Which brings me to my final and most comforting point in using the expandables is the factors you cannot control. It goes without saying but deer are unpredictable.. i have had them jump the string, take an unexpected step so a quartering away shot becomes broadside, broadside becomes quartering to, etc. etc.. the fact that i have an expandable that will do so much external and internal damage with such a wide swath of cut, makes me feel a LOT better than shooting a 1" fixed blade and having it miss its mark quite badly. Of course, this situation is few and far between with close proximity shots, but it does happen.. and for that reason, that's why i side with the bigger cut broadhead.. if that makes sense. 

10/29/19 @ 11:58 AM
Fishsqueezer
User since 5/19/06

I use G5 Montecs as well and have no plans to change. Shot a doe this year through the lungs out through the opposite shoulder and 12” into the ground. She only ran because she knew I was there. Last years buck didn’t know I was there, I drilled him in the pump house, he bounded twice then right back to walking then tipped over dead after 10 seconds. I had a buddy who swore by rage’s when they first came out and they left impressive blood trails. I can also recall a couple times being in the woods at 2:00am tracking deer he hit in the shoulder that were never found. I’ve never had penetration issues with the Montecs even on shoulder hits, even at 55 lbs. Expandables can leave more margin for error on poorly placed shots in my opinion but put the arrow where it needs to be and any broad head will kill the deer fast. 

10/29/19 @ 11:31 AM
IceFishBaby
User since 11/26/01

I have used many broadheads.  20 years ago, fixed with the bleeder blade.  Worked well.  This year, shot a doe (buck) with hypodermics and it walked 20 yards and tipped.  I've in the past used spitfire, good results, but all died out of sight.  

Bottom line, arrow in the boilerhouse is a dead and recovered deer.  Advantage of expandable-if not in boilerhouse-I feel the bigger cutting gives a better chance of recovery.  Also, more energy is used on animal rather than easy pass through and wasted energy.

I do dislike moving parts-factors that can go wrong may.  I do have some rage fixed blades, plan on using them tomorrow.  I feel with any decent broadhead, anything 3 for 30$ or so, usually should do well.  Some better than others.  

What I think is most important is confidence.  I won't shoot a broadhead on a deer that I don't have confidence in.  Reviews are helpful.  Confidence is key to bow hunting and making the shot.  Maybe more so than which broadhead.

10/29/19 @ 11:21 AM
the_dude
the_dude
User since 1/10/03

And I'm not sure how this thread showed up twice...

10/29/19 @ 11:20 AM
the_dude
the_dude
User since 1/10/03

I shoot mid 50's poundage with a 30" draw and only haven't had a pass through twice, both bucks.  One was a deflection on a small branch I didn't see.  Got lucky, and severed the artery below the spine so I still watched him die within sight.  The other was a shoulder hit.  That was the only one I didn't see go down but heard him crash.  That one is always been weird to me because I found the top half of the arrow near where the deer crashed.  Assumed the bottom half was still in him as there was no exit wound.  When I butchered that deer, I never found the other half of the arrow??

10/29/19 @ 11:01 AM
FullDraw05
User since 10/10/17

(i'll put this in here since there was already a comment)

All valid points, Dude. I shot rage broadheads since they first came out, and was always impressed with the hole - and had great success with them. Never lost a deer to date (that is now with my fingers and toes crossed saying that this time of year). However, after all of the podcasts and what not i listen to, last year i switched to the Montec as well due to the discussions about penetration, and fear of the shoulder. Rage to my knowledge, will not go through the shoulder. I shoot 70lb 27" draw and very rarely get a complete pass through on shots with the rage. Due to this, I steer clear of the shoulder by a few inches and give myself room for error and the deer to do something unexpected.. again, results have been phenomenal. Blood trails the size of a pickup truck and spraying 3 - 4' up on trees, just incredible. Last year i actually punched a doe through the front shoulder (not intentional but did aim much closer to the heart) with the montec, got 3/4 arrow penetration and had good blood. But just as you mentioned, drip drop blood trail and she ran into a swamp, i couldn't find blood 50 yards after the hit, i am thinking it was a 1 lung and probably tracked too soon (6 hours), so i am completely at fault for not recovering this deer, IMO. But i grid searched high and low for half a morning and the entire afternoon, nothing. This year, i went back to the Rage and have one doe under my belt - a 30 yard heart shot and she ran 40 yards and piled up, again, blood trail the width of a truck. It was my last Rage in the pack and have heard excellent reviews on the former Ulmer Edge broadhead (now SEVR) so have a pack of those i am waiting to shoot. Based on the research i've done, they have the cut of an expandable but built compact enough to offer optimum penetration. In summary, I, based on my experiences (20+ deer with the bow) am sticking with the expandable broadheads as I am confident that center punching a deer and giving it optimal time to die, will ultimately lead to success, giving you the opportunity to spot a blood trail through pretty much anything.

10/29/19 @ 10:46 AM
Woods-N-Water
User since 9/17/16

Dude, interesting comment on your deer walking away vs running.  That has been my experience as well with solid COC fixed heads vs expandable as well.  I didn’t realize it until I read your post but that has 100% been my experience as well.  I do however think that a low profile expandable does have an advantage in flying truer, but that did not outweigh the disadvantages that I experienced.

Displaying 76 to 90 of 90 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
ice drilled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE