LOGIN
Lake-Link

Which Broadhead and Why?

10/29/19 @ 9:35 AM
ORIGINAL POST
the_dude
the_dude
USER SINCE 1/10/03

This is going to be a long post, so if you aren't interested in a broadhead discussion, I suggest backing out now...

Welder Guy brought this up on the "hub blind" thread and I'd like to have a reasonable discussion about broadheads.  I know this topic has been completely beat to death, but I'd like to think as time has moved on, we continue to learn and I think it is worth discussing again.  

I've been bowhunting since 2006.  I did a ton of research then (I research everything I do to no end = blessing and curse).  I settled on Montec G5 broadheads.  I wanted a sturdy cut-on-contact fixed blade.  What drew me to the G5 is that they make a "preseason" version of their heads, which is just a dull version of the broadhead for practice.  I practice almost exclusively with the preseasons.

My results have been stellar.  Believe it or not, I've never clean missed a deer (or the 1 fox I shot).  I've only lost one deer so far in my bowhunting career, a doe in 2012.  She went down in sight.  I waited 30 minutes.  When I got to her, she popped up and took off.  It was user error, I hit her far back.  Hours of tracking later that night and the next morning came up empty.

Aside from that one deer, I have seen all but one of the deer I've shot go down.  And the one I didn't see, I heard crash and walked right to him without any tracking.

Because of my results, I've became a massive believer in cut-on-contact, fixed blade broadheads.  I cannot see a reason why NOT to use them.  The biggest reason is simple:  the deer do not react like you just hit them in the side with a baseball bat, causing them to run like crazy!  Three of the last four deer I've shot jumped, then WALKED 20 - 25 yards away from the shot and tipped over.  All three were double lung shots.  The one that ran was a heart shot, and running proved futile. 

Over the years, I've read HUNDREDS of threads about expandables.  Deployment issues, flight issues because one blade prematurely opened, deflection on bone issues, etc., etc.  Also, when you hit a deer with an expandable, they know it, and they are going to run as far and as fast as they can.  Expandables in my mind have 1 benefit:  they do leave impressive blood trails.  The issue I have is you will typically need the blood trail, because that deer is going to make it as far as it can.  I reject the concept that expandables fly the same as field tips as being an advantage.  Out of a properly tuned bow, a good fixed blade will also fly the same as field tips.  At least that's what I've been told!  I don't practice with field tips!

So what do you use and why?

DISPLAYING 51 TO 60 OF 83 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS

10/30/19 @ 1:36 PM
.Long Barrels
USER SINCE 12/9/14

Full Draw I don't know what Ad,  I didn't see anything.  I'm sorry if I didn't answer the question but I thought i did trying not to be too much of jerk.  I'm really not,  i just don't candy coat shi...stuff.  I haven't been on here in a couple weeks so i wasn't following from the start but did read through all 4 pages.  

Not trying to be a leaker,  but expandables are waterfowl and turkey,  not deer.  Any broadhead can kill in a cage but hit your dream buck in the leg bone or blade and watch him run away,  one will change their tune real quick.

I don't know what tracking thing you guys are talking about,  put up a link if you could.

10/30/19 @ 1:26 PM
FullDraw05
USER SINCE 10/10/17

not gonna lie, dude.. when i saw the Title of the thread my thoughts "here we go again....." very impressed, some nice dialogue and things I am going to consider moving forward. Thanks for posting!

10/30/19 @ 1:21 PM
the_dude
the_dude
USER SINCE 1/10/03

Look at us having a conversation about broadheads like adults.  I'm so proud...  

10/30/19 @ 1:17 PM
FullDraw05
USER SINCE 10/10/17

.LB, i love your takes and the straight forwardness - as you know. i would love to get your take on the tracker deal in the ad's mentioned previously in this thread. That hook looks like it could do some serious damage to even add to the blood trail!! LOL

edit: spelling

10/30/19 @ 12:44 PM
.Long Barrels
USER SINCE 12/9/14

big, long ferulled 2 blade heads with the least amount of blade angle.  Woodsman, cutthroat,  strickland helix, magnus stinger/buzz cut, grizzly stick, iron will, VPA etc etc.  there are many of them.  

I can back up what dude says, all the heads above or similar slip right through and the deer have no idea what just happened.  I've killed several deer in just the two years that simply walked away and fell over.

The big cutting diameter craze is just as dumb as thinking a fast bow is cool.  a double lung shot deer dies in 50-70 yards regardless of head.  Now if you are thinking about shooting a big diameter to make up for a bad shot,  you are thinking the opposite way.  I'll take a small head that is going to bust bone,  not get stopped by it.  I look for two holes every time i shoot a deer.  

you don't need a rage for a gut shot deer,  a 1 inch sonic will kill the deer in 12 hours as well...big cuts are not what they are cracked up to be.  single lung shot deer can live regardless of head, whether it's a 4 inch rage or 1 inch sonic.

10/30/19 @ 11:41 AM
fishnhunt14
USER SINCE 4/17/07

Rage Hyperdermic +P. They fly very well for me. I like to think the slightly smaller cut will help with penetration, but who knows.

10/30/19 @ 10:45 AM
Mr.Bass1984
Mr.Bass1984
USER SINCE 6/12/10

It doesn't matter what broadhead you are using, if you make a good shot the deer is going to die.  You can shoot field points and if the shot is in the zone the deer is dead.  99.9% of the excuses about broadheads coc or expandables is from someone who can't admit they made a bad shot.  One issue with expandables I see is people using them with slow bows and light arrows.  If people have the proper setup they shouldn't have issues using anything.

My bow is set at 28" draw and 62lbs and is chronographed at 295fps and my KE is estimated to be in the 75 ftlbs area, so plenty of power for a deer.  I started out bowhunting in 2010 I believe.  I was using Muzzy 4-blades from the start and shot a few deer without issue.  I ended up switching to Swhacker 2" about 3 maybe 4 years ago.  Reason being is I'm colorblind and have a hard time following blood trails, so I wanted something that might make blood trailing a little easier when I'm hunting solo.  I've shot a few with the Swhackers without issue.  The last deer I shot on opening day this year was shot with the Shwackers and blew through both front legs, so I know penetration on my setup isn't an issue.  Out of all that time the only deer I shot and did not recover was one buck where I had a deflection on some brush and in hind sight I should have probably been more patient and made a much better shot.  I also did clean miss a deer at one point a few years ago. 

Edit:  One thing with the Swhackers that is a negative is the durability.  I've only had one that wasn't completely destroyed and unusable after a shot.  

10/30/19 @ 9:43 AM
deeog
USER SINCE 12/14/16

Shwacker 2 inch for me. Shot two large bucks and had great results. Both fell within sight. To me the blades have to open because design. I am a broad head critic so if anyone has had a bad experience with these please post. Shoot straight fellas.

10/30/19 @ 8:27 AM
browning3
browning3
USER SINCE 5/23/02

I've pretty much tried them all until Slick Tricks came out.  Been using Slick Tricks for probably 10+ Years or however long they've been on the market.  Strongest, sharpest, best flying fixed head I've used.  I've had no reason to try anything else.  Probably killed 15+ deer with them.  Never lost a deer and most go down within sight.

10/30/19 @ 7:56 AM
FullDraw05
USER SINCE 10/10/17

I'd also like to add once again.. a big misconception about rage is the human error on the side of things. When i first started out i thought the blades went into the slots of the shock collar.. i was young and didn't know any better.. after learning several years ago that the blades need to actually be opposite of these slits, i have not had any mishaps with the blades popping off unless they had some excess force jamming into my quiver too far or raking against trees while stalking.. but never while sitting in a stand or in flight.. (Again, crossing both fingers and toes). So maybe take that into consideration as well if you too were assembling them incorrectly...

DISPLAYING 51 TO 60 OF 83 POSTS
Advertise here
An ice rod built as tough as the frozen winter landscape of the ice belt. A new platform for St. Croix, the Tundra series is a culmination of ice centric features demanded by hardwater anglers. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: ST. CROIX RODS - St. Croix Tundra Ice Rods
Cold Water Deadstick Ice Combos feature a Ceymar micro baitfeeder, a full grip non-reel seat handle for customized placement, and a 1-pcs 24-ton carbon rod blank construction. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: OKUMA FISHING TACKLE - Okuma Cold Water Deadstick Ice Combos
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.